T Nation

16 Months: Overweight to Pro Card

Thanks but won't answer that one...

I'm mainly posting this here cause it seems as if my pm isn't working and also for some reason I'm getting an error when i try posting a new thread. Sorry for the post being so long, but wanted to put as much as i could in.

I just saw your post and I have to say, Incredible and motivating results. I mean incredible. I've just started getting back into working out recently. My best shape ever was a few years ago and I've definitely seen the muscle memory kick in during the past/first 2+ months. The difference is that I'm trying to gain weight. I started off at about or under 160lbs and now around 175lbs. I am trying to bulk up a bit, but I'm noticing that not all the weight I'm gaining is getting definition. Especially in my chest area. Though it seems that it's getting more defined, it's still flabby (not overly) and a little in the stomach area. I guess the advise I'm seeking is am I doing the correct exercises and diet for what I'm trying to do. Or am I giving up on the workout program too early. I'm also probably not doing as much cardio as i should...

I'm currently around 175lbs and 5'10.

my diet and workout:

Meal 1: Shake with 1 serving of Bodylogix protein powder, 1 whole banana, a couple handfuls of spinach, a few scoops of Greek Yogurt, & 1/2 cup of oatmeal.
Meal 2: 6 egg whites with a serving of grits
Meal 3: Chicken breast with a couple servings of quinoa
Meal 4: Meal Replacement bar (Big 100 Metrx)
Meal 5: Shake with 1 serving of Bodylogix protein powder, 1 whole banana, a couple handfuls of spinach, a few scoops of greek yogurt, & 1/2 cup of oatmeal.
Meal 6:Chicken, beef or salmon with sweet potato, brown rice, or quinoa
Meal 7: before bed a bowl of cottage cheese with raspberries or other fruit

recently added in a bagel with breakfast and ezekiel bread with peanut butter at dinner. I'll post my workout routine in a separate message to see if it goes thru.

my workout:

Weeks 1, 2, and 3 do the following workout routine.

Monday: (five minutes of light cardio to warm up)

Squats:
- do a couple warm up sets first
- 5 sets of 5 reps (train heavy, but don't train to failure)

Dead lifts:

Standing calf raise:
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Leg raises:
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Incline sit ups:
- 3 sets of 10-20 reps

Tuesday: (five minutes of light cardio to warm up)

Incline barbell bench press:

Seated dumbbell shoulder press:
- 5 sets of 8 reps

Bicep cable curls: (from low pulley)
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Tricep push downs: (using straight bar attachment)
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Bent over dumbbell lateral raises:
- 3 sets of 10-15 reps

Thursday: (five minutes of light cardio to warm up)

Leg press:
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Leg curls:
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Wide grip pull downs:
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Hyper extensions:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Pull down ab crunches:
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Friday: (five minutes of light cardio to warm up)

Incline dumbbell bench press:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell side lateral raises:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Bicep dumbbell curls:
- 4 sets of 12 reps

Tricep push downs: (with rope attachment)
- 4 sets of 12 reps

Barbell upright rows:
- 3 sets of 15 reps

Keep records of the exercises, weights, sets, and reps that you do. Each workout try to beat what you did for your previous workout. With the squat, dead lift, and incline barbell bench press try to add 5 lbs. to the bar each week and do the same number of sets and reps.

Weeks 4, 5, and 6 do the following workout routine.

Bent over barbell rows:
- 5 sets of 8 reps

Barbell shoulder shrugs:
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Leg extensions:
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Leg curls:
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Seated calf raise:
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Incline sit ups:
- 3 sets of 10-20 reps

Decline barbell bench press:

Seated barbell shoulder press: (i.e. military press)
- 5 sets of 8 reps

Preacher barbell curls:
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Lying tricep extensions: (with the EZ bar)
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Cable upright rows: (from the low pulley)
- 3 sets of 15 reps

Hack Squat::
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Stiff leg dead lifts::
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Seated cable rows:
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Leg raises:
- 4 sets of 12 reps

Crunches::
- 4 sets of 25+ reps

Flat dumbbell bench press:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell front lateral raises:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Bicep barbell curls:
- 4 sets of 12 reps

Tricep push downs: (with V bar attachment)
- 4 sets of 12 reps

Close grip pull downs:
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Keep records of the exercises, weights, sets, and reps that you do. Each workout try to beat what you did for your previous workout. With the decline bench press and the bent barbell row try to add 5 lbs. to the bar each week and do the same number of sets and reps.

Weeks 7, 8, and 9 do the following workout routine.

Squats:

Partial Dead lifts: (use a power rack and set the bar just below your knees)

Chin ups:
- 4 sets of as many reps as you can do

Pull down ab crunches:
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Leg raises:
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Flat barbell bench press:

Bent over dumbbell lateral raises:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell side lateral raises:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell front lateral raises:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Bicep cable curls: (from low pulley)
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Tricep push downs: (using straight bar attachment)
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Hack Squat::
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Leg press:
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Chest supported row: (i.e. T-bar row, hammer strength seated row, etc.)
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Hyper extensions:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Pull down ab crunches:
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Dumbbell bench press on the stability ball:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell shoulder press sitting on the stability ball:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

EZ bar bicep curls:
- 4 sets of 12 reps

One arm over head dumbbell extensions:
- 4 sets of 12 reps

One arm dumbbell rows:
- 3 sets of 15 reps

Weeks 10, 11, and 12 do the following workout routine.

Leg press:

Stiff leg dead lifts:

Wide grip pull downs:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Incline sit ups:
- 5 sets of 15 reps

Leg raises:
- 5 sets of 15 reps

Dips: (add extra weight if needed)

Chin ups:

Side lateral raises:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Seated barbell shoulder press: (i.e. military press)
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Bicep dumbbell preacher curls:
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Tricep push downs: (using rope attachment)
- 5 sets of 10 reps

Squats:
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Leg curls:
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Leg extensions:
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Seated cable rows:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Standing calf raise:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Pull down ab crunches:
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Push ups with feet elevated on the stability ball:

Seated dumbbell shoulder press:
- 4 sets of 10 reps

Standing one arm dumbbell curls:
- 4 sets of 12 reps

(Super set the curls with the over head tricep extensions, you can use the same dumbbell for both exercises. For example, set of curls with one arm, set of curls with the other arm, set of extensions with one arm, set of extensions with the other arm, with no rest in between.)

One arm over head dumbbell extensions:
- 4 sets of 12 reps

Close grip pull downs:
- 4 sets of 15 reps

Brian9955, everything looks good to me. Looks like your protein is high enough (looks to be in the 200 g range--make sure you are in that 175-300 g range). Break down your calories and macros for me. If you don't know, you should. Just use an app to do it (ie myfitnesspal). I wouldn't worry about cardio too much unless you hit a stalement after you cut a bit of calories and still not coming off. Use cardio as your last card especially since you are still wanting to put on muscle. Just monitor your calories and macros and if you are starting to put on un-needed weight then cut back on calories. I will have to see your calories and macros to really suggest a next step.

that's a pretty epic first post. I wonder if anyone's been banned after 1 post before...

Thanks for taking look...I took a screenshot of my macros, so hopefully you can see it. The screenshot is without adding in the Ezekiel bead w/ peanut butter and bagel into the diet. With it included, I'm probably at 3400 calories. Without it's about 2800 calories.

Oops...here it is...

brian9955 I think your fat is too high and your protein too low. Looks like you are at 3654 and you are 50%c/20%p/30%f. I would reverse that to 50carbs/30protein/20fat. Also you don't have to gain a ton of fat to gain muscle. Your cals seem a bit high but maybe your metabolism is fast. I would just monitor your waist and look in the mirror to see if you are gaining too much fat. If you are, you might want to do a mini-cut.

Thanks. Looks like it may be a good idea to replace the mall replacement bar with a couple servings of tuna throughout the day. That way it looked my calories slightly, lowers fat, sodium and adds protein. Also if need be, I can remove the oatmeal from my second shake I'm the evening. I'm adding good mass, but at the same time probably adding a little more day then I'd like to. I definitely am working hard and willing to work harder (on my diet) to reach my goals.Let me know what you think.

Really? Come on man, Chad's been a great asset to the site, be respectful

Thanks. No worries. Comes with the "public" forum territory.

Guys, just to give you an update, I am 6.5 weeks out from NPC Masters Championships and I am 191 at the 7% bf range. Hope to be ready in 4 weeks. Want to be ready early this time because of a lot of travel leading up to my contest.

Here was a pic of me when the took pictures of the top 5 at Europa Supershow Dallas a few weeks ago. Found this one yesterday.

Ok, I've been away for a little while and just saw this. What the hell Kelvinzero; one post and it's that? Not like its acceptable with 1,000 posts but really? At 20 some years old you have no idea. With that mind-set you are destined to spend your life alone and die a slow miserable death. For your sake, I hope you wise up.

Sorry Chad, I know you would take the high road here but I'm jumping in with pwolves17 on this one. I enjoy seeing your progress, it's an inspiration to many of us!

No worries. I kind of have the attitude of "forgive them for they do not know." All good!

I am 5 1/2 weeks out and about 192. I need to come in a lot more conditioned than I did at Europa (meaning less bodyfat). It will be interesting to lose about 5-7 more lbs. I am right on schedule right now and would like to be ready in 3 1/2 weeks. We will see how it works out. I have a lot of business travel coming up so will test me a lot. Here is one I found form the the show after the placing and trophies were handed out.

5 weeks and have work to do. Adjusting diet a bit next week and adding a bit more cardio. I am only doing 2 HIIT sessions a week currently. Hope to get a lot of results in the next 3 weeks. No tan so not a great pic but you will get where I am coming from. Will have to really slim my waist down.

what does your HIIT consist of?

25 min sprints or elliptical. 5 min warm up then 15 sec all out with 45 sec recovery. 5 of those. Then 5 min slow go then 5 more 15 sec all all w 45 sec recovery. Then 5 min cool down (slow). There is the 25 min.

For Throwback Thursday. Hopefully the best is yet to come....

Shoulder and arm workout today. Body is pretty beat up so will only be doing all body parts 1 time next week. Excited about the refeed today. Veins are coming out. This pic was before my refeed.

Here I am 4 weeks out. Have a lot of work to do these next 3 1/2 weeks. Will take a bit of sacrifice. Will need to continue to see the measuring tape go down in the waistline.

Great look Chad. I'd love to see you really grind these next 3 weeks and push the conditioning for this show. In that top 5 picture you posted from your last show I think you had the other guys beat in terms of muscularity/aesthetics, symmetry, etc, but just got edged slightly on conditioning. I'd say don't be afraid to drop your food a little lower than you think or add some steady state cardio into the mix; you won't lose muscle in that short of a time and you can take your conditioning to an all time best for you! good luck man, can't wait to see the finished product. Enjoy the ride. I'm 4 days from my last contest of the year, it's crazy how fast the last 26 weeks have flown by

You are right on the money and that is what I am doing this week. Good luck in your last contest.