155lbs MMA Star Genki Sudo vs 300+lbs Boxer

[quote]DT20 wrote:
The fight looks like a work to me. I think Sudo could win, but Butterbean seemed to be holding back and I find it hard to believe that he couldn’t do any damage at all to Sudo. [/quote]

It looked legit to me. Butterbean’s style is to push guys into the ropes and beat on them. This guy was far too quick and BB couldn’t handle him.

Five minute rounds are too long for BB. When he fought Toughman he could almost handle the two minute rounds. I am suprised he even came out of the corner to fight the second round. The man is in horrible shape.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I have seen about 10 Butterbean fights. I have yet to see any skill.[/quote]
Did he all 10 fights? In the matches he lost, which specific skillsets did you feel he lacked the most?[quote]
He can take a punch and he hits hard.
[/quote]
Obviously two completely useless qualities for a standup fighter.

MMA isnt just about wrestling and bjj, there is a standup component.

How so?

As I said in my opening post. Butterbean is not a legit boxer, but he is a legit toughman. Aside from the elite in boxing and mma, he’s a threat to just about any amateur boxer and local tough guy.

Thats what made this matchup interesting. On the one hand you have a tiny highly skilled fighter against an incredibly large moderately skilled fighter.

If the the matchup was between a tiny highly skilled fighter and some fatassed loser from the Dr. Phil show - there wouldnt have been any element of danger and the match would have been boring.

Likewise, if butterbean possessed the same skillset as Fedor, then the fight would have also been boring because the winner would be too obvious.

I think this fight is an EXCELLENT example of the law of diminishing returns - there’s a point where size and strength won’t help you, even if you have a moderate ammount of skill. Sudo is an EXTREMELY talented and skilled athelete, and is so much faster that despite being HALF BB’s size, he was able to take him out.

…in the SECOND ROUND. Now, if it had been Bru- on second thought, I don’t think I’ll go there. :wink:

Sir,

I have seen both guys fight, so I am basing this off past observations. Also there are a lot of works in Japan.

I do believe that Sudo has a better chance of winning with MMA style rules, but I don’t think he would come out unscathed.

Remember when Kimo fought Royce? Royce was the superior grappler,but Kimo still did damage to him. A big strong guy is going to get in at least a little bit of damage even though he may end up losing the fight.

The intensity wasn’t there.

[quote]SirPhisticated wrote:
DT20 wrote:
The fight looks like a work to me. I think Sudo could win, but Butterbean seemed to be holding back and I find it hard to believe that he couldn’t do any damage at all to Sudo.

Why do some people call it a work as soon as a fight goes different than one would assume? It’s exactly the same as when people judge big guys as steroid users.[/quote]