1520 @ 198 Juniors SPF South of the Border Write Up

Very long week running into this meet on Saturday. I weighed in at 230 on Sunday night. However from there I was sick till Tuesday and literally ate nothing but peanut butter and few eggs those 3 days while continuing to water load aggressively. This was miserable as you would imagine.

Either way come Wednesday I was feeling better still not 100% by any means so I pretty much just continued on with the same diet and pushed fluid to 3 gallons. Thursday I had woke up at 220 pounds and poped 10mg of lasix every 4 hours up until 10pm. At 10 pm I re weighed in at 211 pounds. I didn’t have access to sauna so I turned my bathroom at my hotel into a steam sauna.

Sit in a sauna suit and began the sweat process 20 in 20 out. At 2am I was 204 and was having some of the most insanely painful cramps and nausea. Which was horrible as I began to dry heave my entire body would lock up to the point I just laid in the floor until I could move. I was about to call it at this point as I just could not see the extra weight coming off. I sat in bed with ice all over me head, neck, upper back, and abdomen for about a hour and half. so at 4am I got back up and continued forward. At 8am I had finally hit 198.5 pounds. At 9am I had to strip completely and just cover my nuts and weighed in at 198 exactly.

Immediately began rehydration and by 9pm I was 222lbs and woke up the morning of the meet at 219lbs.

Squat 3/3 Was feeling very physically strained and really felt I was going to have a terrible meet. But the second I got the weight on my back I couldn’t believe how light everything felt. I called my Squat opener at 560 smoked it was a joke, 580 same and then 600 was my best squat of the day and had a easy 10-20lbs left on the platform. My best Squat at 220 is 585 on the platform so this is a Meet PR of 15lbs at a weight class lower. Also my first EVER 3x BW Squat. Next goal is 660 at 220.

Bench 3/3: Felt good I tweaked my lower back at some point so made setting up a bit harder but none the less 320 easy, 340 was stupid hard not sure why, 350 was slow but very easy. Thats a 10lbs PR at any BW on or off the platform. Actually 5lbs more than my best training TNG.

Deadlift 2/3: I wanted to set my elite in stone (1471 for 198) so I took a very easy 530 pull and killed it, went 570 next was very easy, and then decided to be greedy and go for 600 pull and sure enough just couldn’t push my hips through at the top was very close even closer than before but should have went 585 and tied my all time meet PR at 242.

So considering what the week before had in store and being two weight classes lower than my unsanctioned meet 2 months ago I am very happy with this. I broke 2 big prs and barely missed tying my 220 pull by 5 lbs.

Nuts. Great work.

Great meet man. I lifted in the first flight and was there with Josh the guy who handed off to you. Great job of not letting that back mess up your day.

Awesome Job brother!!!

Nice work!

Great job Reed. Congrats on a very good meet!!!

why did you cut 30lbs in a week? why not just compete at 242 or 220?

also it just seems weird to me to claim stuff like a 3x BW squat when you were no where near 198 more like 225 when you actually were lifting.

it just seems bizarre. even guys who go for WR i think it’s a bit odd but a joe schmoe taking lasix and collapsing on the floor pre meet just seems silly/dangerous.

If you have to ask then you will probably never understand.

[quote]TheCB wrote:

also it just seems weird to me to claim stuff like a 3x BW squat when you were no where near 198 more like 225 when you actually were lifting.

it just seems bizarre. even guys who go for WR i think it’s a bit odd but a joe schmoe taking lasix and collapsing on the floor pre meet just seems silly/dangerous.[/quote]

[quote]TheCB wrote:

[/quote]

Agreed, but who cares! 600 at 220 is still STRONG. Awesome job!

I can’t imagine doing the water cutting too (besides, I am small and all weigh ins are 2 hours around here), but I think it shows a really deep level of dedication and commitment.

Let’s criticize less and show more respect for those who not only LOVE lifting but push themselves like crazy. Great job Reed.

yes of course 600 squat is excellent

[quote]A-rod wrote:
If you have to ask then you will probably never understand.
[/quote]

Exactly. This is true for all sports with weight classes and it always starts a huge debate.

[quote]TheCB wrote:

it just seems bizarre. even guys who go for WR i think it’s a bit odd but a joe schmoe taking lasix and collapsing on the floor pre meet just seems silly/dangerous.[/quote]

It is dangerous and has been a hot topic in high school wrestling for a long time because kids have died. People do it to become more competitive and whether others agree or not, the rules do not say you can’t do it. There are rules that try to prevent people from going overboard. I can’t remember which federation it is but the rule stated that you can’t be two weight classes above after weigh-in, but you can be one above. Some federations try to prevent it with a 2-hour weigh-in. But there likely will never be a rule that says you can’t cut weight. If there were, all records would be wiped clean.

Thanks guys.

To be honest I don’t know why I cut but, I honestly enjoy the feeling like death. It makes me push even harder on meet day. If I just show up and compete at the weight I was I feel lazy and lethargic and like I’m just going through he motions. But, when I have pushed to the a literal damn near physical and mental breaking point in order to be in the class I am I just want it more. Also, at the end of the day the highest wilks wins and a lower be with a bigger total pushes that number. On top of bigger total I want a bigger wilks every meet. I don’t agree with water cuts either believe it or not and of they done away with I wouldn’t really miss them per say but until then I will use them. Plus I know I am nothing special at all and have years and years of training ahead of me for where I want to be but, I plan to be one of the best 220 lifters I can be that will involve water cuts which means just like Squat, Deadlifts, Bench, Nutrition, Recovery, Drugs you name it you have to practice in order to perfect it. What happens if one day I got close to being able to break National, Fed, State or what ever world record if I can cut 20 plus pounds to make a weight class but I had never done it. I go in to it blind and have no idea how to cut or even more importantly how to put it back on. It is all for the big picture of my future 5-10 years from now as a lifter. Lastly, I know it doesn’t make sense to some unless it is for a world record but multiple small personal records mean just as much to me and are what will eventually turn into State, Fed, and World Records. The best in the world are making 20-40 pound cuts to make and break world records. I want to be upper echelon lifter one day and this is a skill upper echelon lifters have to be able to use correctly.

But, I do know every one is different and everyone feels and believes differently. There seems to be a fed for every belief and I encourage every one to stay true to those beliefs and lift in a fed that suits hem and believes as they do. Once again thank you for the congratulations.

As a disclaimer I will be gunning for a 660 @ 220 next and many did this to prove to my self that I could.

2 pr’s and an elite total, after a crazy cut? Impressive. Nice job.

Reed thanks alot for the response it gave a good insight into your approach.

Good job, man. Stories like this make me really appreciative that IPF has a 2-hour weigh-in, so I don’t even have the temptation to put myself through something like that.

Great job. I’ve been considering doing a water cut to go 198 lbs as you did but I’m only weighing 220 lbs. Your dedication is awesome.