150lb Girl Does 14 Dips

here’s some chick i work out with doing some cool stuff in the gym. she’s only been lifting seriously for a few months. i’m impressed.

That IS impressive.

How many was she able to do when she initially started to work out?

Why emphasize gender?

Why not go ahead and praise apparently healthy adult humans for being able to walk up stairs too.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Why not go ahead and praise apparently healthy adult humans for being able to walk up stairs too.

[/quote]

hahahahahaha funny.

[/quote]

At Ct. Rockula,

I think there are a number of reasons why her gender was pointed out. As to the validity of those reasons that is up for you to decide for yourself. I believe this to be pretty significant.

Women on average (this woman included) tend to have smaller shoulder girdles. While the muscle between a man and a woman is no different the structure provided by their skeletons are. Men on average can simply hold more muscle mass at a greater mechanical leverage with their larger bony structures. Being able to accomplish 14 dips at the end of chest workout with less muscle and leverage equals impressive to me.

Also in our culture women still tend to act at a deficit when it comes to societal support and acceptance of muscle mass, athleticism and strength. Now while it would be common sense to call bullshit on the idea of “female repression” given the great advances women have made in this area (and the shit storm that laws like Title IX have left in its wake) I believe their is still resistance, greatly so and mainly from women themselves, against being strong like this.

My experience is that it is still socially more acceptable and desired to be “skinny fat” than it is to be muscular and physically useful. While this might seem like a foreign concept here on T-Nation it is undeniable that the rest of the country is not like T-Nation.

Lastly, while this young lady is certainly not manly in any way she still has a lot of muscle. She appears very lean and at 150lbs that is a lot of tissue to find on a woman. The fact that she excelled at a pure strength to bodyweight exercise like dips is impressive more so because of her size. I find high rep bodyweight exercises like chins and dips being done by smaller people to be less impressive ala the concept of abs on a skinny guy and tits on a fat chick. Their structures tend to favor those things whereas in this case the structure does not.

Maybe I am wrong here, it’s just you came across as somewhat negative in your posting. Your sarcasm aside, what was being done here goes way above and beyond the physical skill of “walking up a flight of stairs” especially since that is primarily a lower body activity that a woman would have the structure (sine there is no need to axially load the body in that case) to excel at.

I can’t speak for you but maybe you just wish to hold people, especially women, to a higher standard given what was mentioned above. Maybe your wish to hold women up as equals. Being equal and not being the same however are two totally different things.

Since nobody can read your mind I would like to hear further explanation of your post.

Thanks
Mike Cruickshank

[/quote]

Hey now… These days, choosing to walk up stairs, let alone being able to, is nearly unheard of.

[quote]MikeShank wrote:

[/quote]

At Ct. Rockula,

I think there are a number of reasons why her gender was pointed out. As to the validity of those reasons that is up for you to decide for yourself. I believe this to be pretty significant.

Women on average (this woman included) tend to have smaller shoulder girdles. While the muscle between a man and a woman is no different the structure provided by their skeletons are. Men on average can simply hold more muscle mass at a greater mechanical leverage with their larger bony structures. Being able to accomplish 14 dips at the end of chest workout with less muscle and leverage equals impressive to me.

Also in our culture women still tend to act at a deficit when it comes to societal support and acceptance of muscle mass, athleticism and strength. Now while it would be common sense to call bullshit on the idea of “female repression” given the great advances women have made in this area (and the shit storm that laws like Title IX have left in its wake) I believe their is still resistance, greatly so and mainly from women themselves, against being strong like this. My experience is that it is still socially more acceptable and desired to be “skinny fat” than it is to be muscular and physically useful. While this might seem like a foreign concept here on T-Nation it is undeniable that the rest of the country is not like T-Nation.

Lastly, while this young lady is certainly not manly in any way she still has a lot of muscle. She appears very lean and at 150lbs that is a lot of tissue to find on a woman. The fact that she excelled at a pure strength to bodyweight exercise like dips is impressive more so because of her size. I find high rep bodyweight exercises like chins and dips being done by smaller people to be less impressive ala the concept of abs on a skinny guy and tits on a fat chick. Their structures tend to favor those things whereas in this case the structure does not.

Maybe I am wrong here, it’s just you came across as somewhat negative in your posting. Your sarcasm aside, what was being done here goes way above and beyond the physical skill of “walking up a flight of stairs” especially since that is primarily a lower body activity that a woman would have the structure (sine there is no need to axially load the body in that case) to excel at.

I can’t speak for you but maybe you just wish to hold people, especially women, to a higher standard given what was mentioned above. Maybe your wish to hold women up as equals. Being equal and not being the same however are two totally different things.

Since nobody can read your mind I would like to hear further explanation of your post.

Thanks
Mike Cruickshank [/quote]

Did you really post that?

[quote]MikeShank wrote:

[/quote]

At Ct. Rockula,

Also in our culture women still tend to act at a deficit when it comes to societal support and acceptance of muscle mass, athleticism and strength. Now while it would be common sense to call bullshit on the idea of “female repression” given the great advances women have made in this area (and the shit storm that laws like Title IX have left in its wake) I believe their is still resistance, greatly so and mainly from women themselves, against being strong like this. My experience is that it is still socially more acceptable and desired to be “skinny fat” than it is to be muscular and physically useful. While this might seem like a foreign concept here on T-Nation it is undeniable that the rest of the country is not like T-Nation.

Thanks
that was wordy

Holymac. Awesome! Now you just need to get some parallel bars mounted across your bed and keep working on getting her # of reps up.

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
Holymac. Awesome! Now you just need to get some parallel bars mounted across your bed and keep working on getting her # of reps up.[/quote]

I think its more impressive she’s doing the dips sideways.

Awesome.

[quote]BB_818 wrote:

[/quote]

Hey now… These days, choosing to walk up stairs, let alone being able to, is nearly unheard of.[/quote]

That’s fucking awesome!

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]MikeShank wrote:

[/quote]

At Ct. Rockula,

Thanks

Did you really post that? [/quote]

Sure did. You have a comment or are you just going to suck Ct. Rockula’s nuts the rest of this thread?

^ Some people take this shit way too seriously

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]MikeShank wrote:

[/quote]

At Ct. Rockula,

Thanks
that was wordy[/quote]

You have a point. Sorry about that. I do tend to ramble a bit. Here is the edited version:

Reasons why her gender was pointed out.

Muscle in a man and a woman are no different . However the structure provided by their skeletons are. Men hold more muscle mass at a greater mechanical leverage therefore 14 dips at the end of chest workout is impressive to me.

it is still socially more acceptable and desired for women to be “skinny fat” than it is to be muscular and physically useful. Overcoming those social stigma’s is also impressive.

High rep bodyweight exercises like chins and dips tend to favor smaller people. At 150lbs that is a lot of lean tissue for a women to carry around which makes this more impressive than if say she was to bench a lot of weight.

Ct. Rockula, You come across like a negative, condescending dick instead of giving credit were it is due. I apologize in advance if I mis- interpreted what you said

Considering that a large percentage of T-Nation’s male populous can’t even do ONE dip with perfect form to save their lives, she get’s props for that feat…

…also, any female gets automatic respect from me if I see her doing dips or pull-ups properly (sans kipping) because of the fact they are at a disadvantage when it comes to muscle mass and thus their ability to do the task indicates discipline and tenacity, while you can go to any gym in the country and witness more males than naught that are incapable of performing ONE bodyweight pull-up or dip.

Fucking embarrassment…

[/quote]

LOL you sir have a talent