T Nation

150lb "Experts"

I dont know about everyone else, but I am getting a little tired of a couple of the 140-150 16 year olds around here dispensing worthless advice as if they are elite trainers.

I realize that this is the internet and anyone can say pretty much anything they want, but I think it would be helpful if the space below your avatar had your height and weight listed along with their level. This way at least, we would know immediately who was giving out all of this “expert advice”.

In the past week, I have seen 4 or 5 posts from the same 145 lb kid talking about what really blasted his pecs and what really made his lats grow. C’mon. Are you serious?

good idea…

where? I haven’t read anything from the 145 lbers.

Good idea, but it’ll never work because all of a sudden everyone will be 6’5" and 275#.

Out of curiosity, what is the point of the level anyways?

Is there a reason why we need to know what brand of supplements and how much of them people buy?

Better learn to live with it, there will always be people like that and there is nothing you can do to shut them all up (for good).

Be glad that you are able to recognize bad advice where you see it and if you really care wether others take it or not, you can always arque the point or offer an alternative, but dont make it your personal crusade to stop each and everyone of them. Let people make their own mistakes even if it kills them, how would we learn and evolve otherwise.

Sides prettymuch anyone with the slightest computer knowledge can make themselves look like an expert trainer in a jiffy by adding photoshopped pictures, stolen excercise data and false stats into their profile.

Edit: The Strong Words of today fit right in…

[quote]texasguy1 wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is the point of the level anyways?

Is there a reason why we need to know what brand of supplements and how much of them people buy?[/quote]

Are you just whining because you don’t have any?

[quote]texasguy1 wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is the point of the level anyways?

Is there a reason why we need to know what brand of supplements and how much of them people buy?[/quote]

Its a way of showing who supports the site monetarily(is that a word?) and who doesn’t.

I’m one of those 161lbs 16 year old kids, and we can have as good advice as anyone, just some of us younger people choose to be stupid and say dumb things, we all don’t know everything.

Just because one hormone raging 16 year old runs his mouth doesn’t me we all have to do something about it. Hell the kid is just trying to feel cool because he can bench a fair amount at his weight class, but you give him a pull up bar the kid most likely can’t pull himself up 4 times.

Hot heads that’s all they are.

[quote]texasguy1 wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is the point of the level anyways?

Is there a reason why we need to know what brand of supplements and how much of them people buy?[/quote]

I’m with you. That rubbed me the wrong way (not just because I never received “points” for my Biotest purchases.) It almost seems like our points of view are being qualified on the basis of who supports the site. Maybe TC, Tim and Shugs didn’t mean for that to be the result of this addition, but it’s going to happen.

[quote]kbryk wrote:
I’m one of those 161lbs 16 year old kids, and we can have as good advice as anyone, just some of us younger people choose to be stupid and say dumb things, we all don’t know everything.

Just because one hormone raging 16 year old runs his mouth doesn’t me we all have to do something about it. Hell the kid is just trying to feel cool because he can bench a fair amount at his weight class, but you give him a pull up bar the kid most likely can’t pull himself up 4 times.

Hot heads that’s all they are.

[/quote]

The vast majority of 16 year old kids havent spent enough time training to know much more than what they are parroting from their favorite author. At 145 lbs, they probably havent figured out that talking about weight lifting doesnt make you gain mass yet.

There was a thread recently where a beginner asked the basic question “How do I make my legs grow?” and instead of “Work on your squats and deadlifts and make marked increases in your lifts on those and eat a caloric surplus”, one of these 145 lb posters gave a detailed response suggesting giant setting squats, leg extensions, and leg presses followed by “a 20 rep super squat protocol” and that that had “really done the trick” for him.

Im sorry, but 20 rep squats isnt hardcore or even impressive if youre doing it with 95 lbs. I said it in another thread and Ill say it again. Everyone, especially newbies, like to think that they are way more advanced than they actually are. 2 months of making it to the gym doesnt make you advanced.

Everyone thinks theyre more advanced than they are and many decide that they are in the position to begin dispensing their “expert advice”.

Now if your advice were actually good, would it matter that it said 160 lbs below your screen name? Probably not. I just think it would give people a good sense of context when people post advice about what has “really worked great for them”.

I’m getting tired of people starting lame posts about (pretty much completely) undisputed annoyances.

As for the levels…I remember reading that there is a point to them, which will be revealed in time (I think Shugart said he’s using it to prioritize who he helps out).

Personally? I think at least one of the ideas behind it is that people will give more credibility to those who have higher levels, and it will “encourage” others to spend more money on Biotest supplements so they can get a higher rating.

Though I don’t disagree with the level system, I don’t necessarily agree with it, either. I think a “rep” system (like bb.com?) would be better, just so new posters would have an easier time figuring out which posters they should listen to, and who are trolls and general idiots.

Maybe limit it to just the training/nutrition forums so people don’t get penalized for poor SATMA advice (though they probably should, it’s really beyond the scope of this site) or their Get a Life POV’s.

That way, even the 150 pounders can be recognized for giving solid advice. People can lie about their profile stats, but they can’t lie about what others think of their training recommendations.

Wow you’re really worked up over something so trivial. The kid you spoke of in your 1st post actually gave sound advice (echoed by others who are 150+), but you shit on him because of his weight. Way to “nurture” the newbs.

So before someone can give advice, they must hit a certain weight. Please tell everyone what that weight is so there will be no confusion.

When you police threads, write up those who are giving bad, perhaps dangerous advice. Don’t just look at their weight and paint them all with the same brush.

[quote]conner wrote:
I’m getting tired of people starting lame posts about (pretty much completely) undisputed annoyances.

As for the levels…I remember reading that there is a point to them, which will be revealed in time (I think Shugart said he’s using it to prioritize who he helps out).

Personally? I think at least one of the ideas behind it is that people will give more credibility to those who have higher levels, and it will “encourage” others to spend more money on Biotest supplements so they can get a higher rating.

Though I don’t disagree with the level system, I don’t necessarily agree with it, either. I think a “rep” system (like bb.com?) would be better, just so new posters would have an easier time figuring out which posters they should listen to, and who are trolls and general idiots.

Maybe limit it to just the training/nutrition forums so people don’t get penalized for poor SATMA advice (though they probably should, it’s really beyond the scope of this site) or their Get a Life POV’s.

That way, even the 150 pounders can be recognized for giving solid advice. People can lie about their profile stats, but they can’t lie about what others think of their training recommendations.[/quote]

Good ideas, but not really an easy way to implement them. Just because someone is a blabbermouth, doesn’t mean they know anything about nutrition or training, just look at me!

The level thing being based on purchases doesn’t really bother me. At most it just shows I like to spend most my paycheck here. No harm done really. Maybe if anything, it shows who wants to make T-Nation a better place, at least from a financial point of view.

I know that comment might rustle a few feathers, but fuck it, TC and Shugs aren’t here out of the kindness of their hearts. This is a business after all.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I know that comment might rustle a few feathers, but fuck it, TC and Shugs aren’t here out of the kindness of their hearts. This is a business after all.
[/quote]

Not true. Tim, Chris, and I are bodybuilding humanitarians. Any money derived from sales of Biotest products goes to children with underdeveloped traps. And lepers. And the occasional stripper.

What I want to know is where TC’s level is. C’mon, weren’t we all created equal…?

:slight_smile:

[quote]kbryk wrote:
I’m one of those 161lbs 16 year old kids, and we can have as good advice as anyone[/quote]

Nope. While most old people lack wisdom, wisdom is something that only comes with age. You haven’t lived enough to know anything.

Since when is someone’s age or weight directly related to their experience?

If I had to choose any information to know about someone giving advice when weighing the advice, it would be what their progress has been so far and their training age.

Why does a 16 year old have any less say than a 30 year old? One’s age shouldn’t automatically invalidate anything they say, ever. Some teenagers, believe it or not, are not completely ignorant as often portrayed.

Well Im only a lightweight but I have gained 33lb(at LEAST 25 lean muscle)in 9 months by following your guys advice, and pass the info on that helped me, I.e. Squats N Milk, Milk, Eggs, Milk, Steak, Milk etc

you know what, one of the strongest guys i have seen was 165 lbs, he was a junior power lifter and did a seminar at my gym to teach squad and deads form. He did 405 squats for many reps during the lesson.

He sure knew what he was talking about, waaaaaaaayy more than the 250 lb guy who did 1/8 squats when he did squats.
My point? 250 is not always better than 150

Ben Johnson’s coach can’t run as fast as Ben could, but he sure had knowledge.

How many fat old Russian men teach 12 year old girls to perform gymnastics and win gold? Bet they have never even worn tights (well maybe…) but they still train the girls to gold.

If a 150 lbs guy got the job with thibs at his gym, and that guy never lifts i’ll bet he would end up being 10 times the coach you are even if you were 350 lbs.

Body weight is not a final be all and end all. Knowledge is, experience is, whether it is personal or learned from teachers and passed on.

And of course the most obvious point, no one even lies in there profile do they?