15 yr Old Looking to Build Muscle

I’m 167 pounds, 6ft tall, can run at a good pace for about an hour without rest, no idea what to do when it comes to the gym! I play football about 4 times a week for 2 hours but for now, in the off season, I want to gain some strength before next season which starts in the Summer. All of the stuff on these forums and everything I try to research seems so complicated to me.

With everybody referring to ‘dead lifts’ and ‘LAT pull downs’ and I don’t even know what they are. I just need a basic, beginners workout plan that can help me get started, any help is appreciated. I can workout any day of the week because I want to go before school, around 6am.

When you say you play football, what kind of football are you talking about? Surely this can’t be any kind of competitive league right? You’re just throwing the ball around with your friends? I ask because if you are playing high school football lifting/conditioning/training should be taken care of by your coaches.

I would suggest you buy and read the book starting strength by mark rippetoe, and then perform the routine exactly as written.

Must read for beginners: Must Reads for Beginners! - Beginners - Forums - T Nation

Are you a beginner part 2: Are You A Beginner II - Beginners - Forums - T Nation

Before you can have basic beginners program you need to understand what some of those movements are, for that I suggest the video library:

It’s a good start and so is google.

I’m sure there will be plenty more people posting solid advice after me, but for now, read the stickies I posted.

[quote]Leveskew wrote:
With everybody referring to ‘dead lifts’ and ‘LAT pull downs’ and I don’t even know what they are. I just need a basic, beginners workout plan that can help me get started, any help is appreciated. I can workout any day of the week because I want to go before school, around 6am.[/quote]
If you don’t know what a lat pull down is you may want to hire a trainer to show you some very basic lifts. If you don’t have the money for that go to your local library or book store and get a book with lots of pictures of people doing the lifts. If you don’t want to do that go to YouTube and search the lifts you want to do for videos of people explaining them and doing them. I put YouTube last as any fool can pick up a camera so some of the form on there is ridiculous.

There is really no point in trying to spoon feed you a program right now. Do some research and go to your local gym and ask for help of watch other people. Plenty of people will help you with a couple of pointers just don’t make yourself a nuisance.

There are six critical lifts/movements, IMO: Deadlift, Squat, Bench, Row, Overhead Press, and Pullup/Chin Up. You need to learn how to perform these lifts safely and then, after you do that, find a program that uses these lifts as its base. “Starting Strength” or the “5-3-1” e-book explain the lifts, but its better if you can find someone to show you how to do them safely to start.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
There are six critical lifts/movements, IMO: Deadlift, Squat, Bench, Row, Overhead Press, and Pullup/Chin Up. You need to learn how to perform these lifts safely and then, after you do that, find a program that uses these lifts as its base. “Starting Strength” or the “5-3-1” e-book explain the lifts, but its better if you can find someone to show you how to do them safely to start. [/quote]

this. talk to your coach or a trainer at your school/gym. this site has good videos of exercises with form cues and proper technique.

[quote]Leveskew wrote:
I play football about 4 times a week for 2 hours but for now, in the off season, I want to gain some strength before next season which starts in the Summer.[/quote]
Like Chris87 said, is there any kind of lifting or conditioning with the team?

This thread would be a starting point, but obviously doesn’t cover everything:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/technique_thread

Mon., Wed., and Fri.
Squat 2x15 (No weight, keep both feet flat on the floor.)
Push-up 2x15 (On your toes, go until the chest almost touches the floor.)
Lunge 2x15 (Alternate legs, 1 rep left/1 rep right.)
Neutral-grip pull-up 2x15 (assisted if necessary. Could be substituted with inverted rows.)
Plank 2x15-count (Hold the top part of a push-up, on the toes, arms straight, keep the whole body straight. Count to 15.)
Burpee/squat thrust 2x15

Once that’s easy from start to finish, whether it takes 2 weeks or 8 weeks, move to a program based around work with barbells and dumbbells.

[quote]JLo wrote:
… go to your local gym and ask for help or watch other people. Plenty of people will help you with a couple of pointers just don’t make yourself a nuisance.[/quote]
Worth repeating, 'cuz it’s true.

Off topic: but the next 3-4 years of playing football with your friends will be an absolute blast so make the most of it, bust your balls in the offseason, go out there and win some games, and go make some memories with your bros.