$15 to Flip a Burger

[quote]H factor wrote:
If these people think they can improve their job I have no idea why it’s laughable.

[/quote]

Because they think their labor is worth $15 an hour. That is laughable.

They flip burgers FFS. I barely made more than that when I started at a professional firm after getting a degree.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
It is bottom up economics , like everything good it must be built from the bottom up .

And as I being a tax payer , I am sick and tired of subsidizing employees of McDonalds and Walmart. If they can not pay a living wage they should get out of business and let some one that can

Besides that McDonalds should start making real food , that I would eat . It has to be over 10 years that I have darkened their door [/quote]

If McDonalds paid 16/hr to flip a burger then more educated people would apply to the job and get hired and these fucking idiots that’s failed to graduate high school will be out of a job all together. [/quote]

Unions…you know, the guys that are responsible for this “grassroots” movement…are not the most long term of thinkers.

It’s a job for high school kids, trying to make a buck, not some 35 year old person trying to raise a family.

Most of these jokers will soon be unemployed, their jobs filled by the next generation.[/quote]

how many high school kids do you think they employ ? High school kids have to be in school , they can not stay up late . So they can work in an eight hour stretch out of 24 hour 2 in the pm to 10 in the pm

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
It is bottom up economics , like everything good it must be built from the bottom up .

And as I being a tax payer , I am sick and tired of subsidizing employees of McDonalds and Walmart. If they can not pay a living wage they should get out of business and let some one that can

Besides that McDonalds should start making real food , that I would eat . It has to be over 10 years that I have darkened their door [/quote]

If McDonalds paid 16/hr to flip a burger then more educated people would apply to the job and get hired and these fucking idiots that’s failed to graduate high school will be out of a job all together. [/quote]

Unions…you know, the guys that are responsible for this “grassroots” movement…are not the most long term of thinkers.

It’s a job for high school kids, trying to make a buck, not some 35 year old person trying to raise a family.

Most of these jokers will soon be unemployed, their jobs filled by the next generation.[/quote]

If the job is only for high school kids why does McDonald’s hire those older than that age constantly? Damn I can see being upset at people who aren’t working, but a lot of hate in here for people who are working.

Why do you care that people are trying to get a raise? You worried you won’t be able to feel so much better than those employee’s if they make anymore?

It’s just odd to me. Does it bother you when ANYONE tries to get a raise or just fast food workers? What dollar amount would make you the least upset? If they got 50 cents? Or would you still have your jimmies rustled?

“The 65-year-old Skinner, who also holds the title of vice chairman, earned a $1.4 million salary and $11.5 million in performance bonuses.”

So he is actually only guranteed $1.4M the rest is a bonus for doing well and stock options. Life just isn’t fair.

Some people haven’t the slightest idea what “flipping supply and demand” means.

Good, maybe some people will loose some weight if they can’t get their burgers and fries.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:
If these people think they can improve their job I have no idea why it’s laughable.

[/quote]

They flip burgers FFS. I barely made more than that when I started at a professional firm after getting a degree. [/quote]

They are probably aiming high like any attempted negotiation does. What in your opinion is the magic amount they should think their labor is worth? And why are we against them trying to improve that amount?

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
OH MY F–KING GAWD the sky is falling McDonalds will have to sell their 3/4 pounder with cheeze and 5 lb freyes and a plastic milk shake for a Dollar fifty rather than a Dollar . The world will ceases to exist [/quote]

Actually it is a 1/4 pounder and the value meal is around $5-6. If you have a double in pay then your burger will have to increase by about 50%. So they will now cost $7.50-9. The poor people will no longer be able to afford the value meal. Think about the poor.
[/quote]

Why does that have to happen again? McDonald’s had the money to triple it’s CEO pay to 13.8 million. AFTER sales had fallen.

But by all means, get REALLY pissed off about minimum wage workers trying to get a raise.

Whether it works or not is irrelevant to me just like what they pay their CEO is to me. I don’t work or eat at McDonald’s. It just seems as if some people are weirdly upset that these poor workers are even attempting this.

McDonald’s might fire them all, that is the risk you take here as a worker I guess, but I can’t see why some people seem to be so mad at their attempt.

I would also like someone to explain to me why an increase in wages HAS to equal an increase in prices. How many millions did the quarter pounder go up when they paid their CEO that much more again? You guys are treating that as if it HAS to happen. McDonald’s gives raises all the time without changing their menu prices.

[/quote]

According to your numbers and total payroll the CEO’s pay only accounts .29% of the entire payroll. This man is in charge of a multinational multibillion dollar corporation with all of these peoples livelihoods in his hands. You do not think he should be paid that much? How much should he be paid?

The CEO doesn’t have shit to manage, they should pay him $16/hr.

“McDonald’s restaurants are found in 119 countries[13] and territories around the world and serve 68 million customers each day.[4] McDonald’s operates over 34,000 restaurants worldwide, employing more than 1.7 million people.”

[quote]H factor wrote:

Why do you care that people are trying to get a raise?
[/quote]

Because they, and you, are ignoring basic economics.

If you add value or reduce costs, then you deserve a raise.

If you force a certain wage, that is above (or below) market, it causes changes in the market. These changes effect everyone, not just the particular employee’s wage. Inflation being one.

If someone starts at $8, and works for 8 years and now makes $16, then these people with less time and less skill are now making $15, what do you think the first person will want? This will continue on up the chain. This is only but one issue here.

Some people haven’t the slightest idea what “flipping supply and demand” means. [/quote]

Unions only demand where is the supply side?

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[/quote]

They flip burgers FFS. I barely made more than that when I started at a professional firm after getting a degree. [/quote]

They are probably aiming high like any attempted negotiation does. What in your opinion is the magic amount they should think their labor is worth? And why are we against them trying to improve that amount? [/quote]

Their relative lack of skill (they flip burgers here) is more likely than not worth less than the $7.25 they make.

Their labor is worth what the market will pay for it.

Some people haven’t the slightest idea what “flipping supply and demand” means. [/quote]

I get it I just don’t see the reason to be against a worker strike in America. If you go try to get a raise today I’m not going to be mad at you. They are taking a risk and free to do so. If McDonald’s fires them that is the risk they take for striking. They might get what they are after. They might get fired. It just seems like people are really mad at them for some reason and I’m trying to get it.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
OH MY F–KING GAWD the sky is falling McDonalds will have to sell their 3/4 pounder with cheeze and 5 lb freyes and a plastic milk shake for a Dollar fifty rather than a Dollar . The world will ceases to exist [/quote]

Actually it is a 1/4 pounder and the value meal is around $5-6. If you have a double in pay then your burger will have to increase by about 50%. So they will now cost $7.50-9. The poor people will no longer be able to afford the value meal. Think about the poor.
[/quote]

Why does that have to happen again? McDonald’s had the money to triple it’s CEO pay to 13.8 million. AFTER sales had fallen.

But by all means, get REALLY pissed off about minimum wage workers trying to get a raise.

Whether it works or not is irrelevant to me just like what they pay their CEO is to me. I don’t work or eat at McDonald’s. It just seems as if some people are weirdly upset that these poor workers are even attempting this.

McDonald’s might fire them all, that is the risk you take here as a worker I guess, but I can’t see why some people seem to be so mad at their attempt.

I would also like someone to explain to me why an increase in wages HAS to equal an increase in prices. How many millions did the quarter pounder go up when they paid their CEO that much more again? You guys are treating that as if it HAS to happen. McDonald’s gives raises all the time without changing their menu prices.

[/quote]

According to your numbers and total payroll the CEO’s pay only accounts .29% of the entire payroll. This man is in charge of a multinational multibillion dollar corporation with all of these peoples livelihoods in his hands. You do not think he should be paid that much? How much should he be paid?[/quote]

Wait, YOU’RE the one who has decided the wage the workers are trying to get is too much. I have no idea how much he should or should not be paid same as the McDonald’s workers. I was merely pointing out the laughable idea that McDonald’s HAD to raise prices if it raised wages. It does not.

And he got the raise AFTER sales fell.

McDonald’s can pay him or their workers whatever. I’m not mad if he tries to get more money or if the burger flippers do. Why would I be?

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:
If McDonalds paid 16/hr to flip a burger then more educated people would apply to the job and get hired and these fucking idiots that’s failed to graduate high school will be out of a job all together. On top of that surely burger prices will go up so they won’t be able to use their welfare check on the dollar menu anymore. Great idea!![/quote]

Whoa, whoa, whoa! That sounds like what people say about teacher’s unions wanting to raise salaries! Obviously the government would have to step in and stop burger joints from letting go of current employees. The government could also mandate that burger joints’ prices remain where they are.

Don’t you know a job itself has intrinsic value? The pay need only be high enough to pay for needs. A person who designs a 100 story building or 10 mile long bridge does not and should not need to be paid more than the person responsible for the fries at McDonald’s because his job is intrinsically more valuable.

[quote]H factor wrote:

I get it I just don’t see the reason to be against a worker strike in America. If you go try to get a raise today I’m not going to be mad at you. They are taking a risk and free to do so. If McDonald’s fires them that is the risk they take for striking. They might get what they are after. They might get fired. It just seems like people are really mad at them for some reason and I’m trying to get it. [/quote]

Not a single person here is mad at them striking.

It is McDonalds, who gives a shit really?

The point is, it is laughable that flipping burgers is worth 30k+ a year…

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

how many high school kids do you think they employ ? High school kids have to be in school , they can not stay up late . So they can work in an eight hour stretch out of 24 hour 2 in the pm to 10 in the pm
[/quote]

Let me rephrase…first time jobbie havvers.

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

According to your numbers and total payroll the CEO’s pay only accounts .29% of the entire payroll. This man is in charge of a multinational multibillion dollar corporation with all of these peoples livelihoods in his hands. You do not think he should be paid that much? How much should he be paid?[/quote]

Wait, YOU’RE the one who has decided the wage the workers are trying to get is too much. I have no idea how much he should or should not be paid same as the McDonald’s workers. I was merely pointing out the laughable idea that McDonald’s HAD to raise prices if it raised wages. It does not.

And he got the raise AFTER sales fell.

McDonald’s can pay him or their workers whatever. I’m not mad if he tries to get more money or if the burger flippers do. Why would I be? [/quote]

Cost will have to go up if wages go from $7.25 to $15 since a large portion of their 1.7 million employees make less than $15/hr.

[quote]H factor wrote:

I get it I just don’t see the reason to be against a worker strike in America. If you go try to get a raise today I’m not going to be mad at you. They are taking a risk and free to do so. If McDonald’s fires them that is the risk they take for striking. They might get what they are after. They might get fired. It just seems like people are really mad at them for some reason and I’m trying to get it. [/quote]

I will support this.

We are mad because they are demanding pay that they can not justify. If they get $15 an hour I might go flip some burgers. I have several to choose from within walking distance of my house.

[quote]H factor wrote:

Why do you care that people are trying to get a raise?
[/quote]

Because they, and you, are ignoring basic economics.

If you add value or reduce costs, then you deserve a raise.

If you force a certain wage, that is above (or below) market, it causes changes in the market. These changes effect everyone, not just the particular employee’s wage. Inflation being one.

If someone starts at $8, and works for 8 years and now makes $16, then these people with less time and less skill are now making $15, what do you think the first person will want? This will continue on up the chain. This is only but one issue here. [/quote]

This is where you lose me. So the CEO got his salary tripled AFTER sales fell. Somehow they managed to afford that. If a CEO starts at a million and quickly increases to 4 million what do you think other CEOs of similar companies will want?

Why are these issues with the bottom end but not the top?

Keep in mind I could care less what McDonald’s pays either it’s top or bottom end, but how can the top end not effect the market but the bottom does?