T Nation

15% in 15 Weeks

My goal is to be 10% body fat by July 31 and 7% by September 11. I am currently about 200 and 25%. That gives me 15 weeks to lose 15% body fat.

My plan is to start HOT-ROX at 18% and the Velocity diet at 16%. My hope is that 8 weeks of HOT-ROX with 6 overlapping weeks of the Velocity diet will knock off at least 8%. The last 3% (from 10 to 7) will be up to me.

I’ve got my goals written on the fridge, I’ve told them to everyone I know, I’ve got pictures of my former fatter self on the cupboard door, I know all the reasons I should lose this fat, and I even bought a can of Alpo and told my roommate that I’m going to eat it if I don’t reach 10% by July 31.

Any and all suggestions are encouraged and greatly appreciated.

the plan you make is great, but what i’ll ask is: in the past, are you those people who do what they planned?

or you were just plan things out and finally fail to follow the plan word by word?

if you’re the second one, then i’ll say you may need more than the “plan” you make, especially “mental power”.

i used to be those second type person…and now i just try my best to become the first type.

i’m around 205lb, 21% bodyfat. and now i’ll try my own version of V-diet. and my training program will use CW’s “Single’s Club”. let see how i’ll become after one month.

stay strong.

I think you can do it.

You might consider ordering your steps by time instead of percentage. 1% is nothing to the V-Diet. But 4 weeks of it could possibly put you below 15%.

Best of luck.

[quote]dond1esel wrote:
I think you can do it.

You might consider ordering your steps by time instead of percentage. 1% is nothing to the V-Diet. But 4 weeks of it could possibly put you below 15%.

Best of luck.[/quote]

True; I was thinking the same thing. Going by percentage may also cause a week of HOT-ROX or V-Diet to fall on an off week and that would be a waste.

[quote]Monster Wong wrote:
the plan you make is great, but what i’ll ask is: in the past, are you those people who do what they planned?

or you were just plan things out and finally fail to follow the plan word by word?

if you’re the second one, then i’ll say you may need more than the “plan” you make, especially “mental power”.

i used to be those second type person…and now i just try my best to become the first type.

i’m around 205lb, 21% bodyfat. and now i’ll try my own version of V-diet. and my training program will use CW’s “Single’s Club”. let see how i’ll become after one month.

stay strong.[/quote]

I’m a little bit of both. While I’ve done things in the past that people didn’t expect (i.e. take a year off from school and move to Florida) I tend not to follow through.
However, I have a “coach” to help with the “Personal Power,” to “Get the Edge” so to speak. I’ve had success in the past so I know what it takes. Now it’s simply a matter of applying what I know (which seems to be the biggest problem) permanently.
Thanks for the thoughts and best of luck with your own program.

First, I’m glad that your goal is to lose body fat and not simply to lose weight. With that in mind, you will need to continually monitor your progress in those terms. You should create a weekly chart to record your body weight, body fat %, fat weight, and lean mass. Watch your lean mass carefully and make sure that the weight you lose is predominately fat.

Now, in order to lose 15% body fat from your current statistics you would need to lose roughly 33lbs of fat while maintaining all of your lean mass.

Here’s the breakdown:

200lbs, 25% bf = 50lbs fat, 150lbs lbm
167lbs, 10% bf = 17lbs fat, 150lbs lbm

Although everyone is unique and genetic factors play a big role in this process, this goal may be a bit ambitious. Also with such an aggressive schedule it would be very difficult to lose this much weight and have no corresponding loss of lbm. Basically you are looking for a loss of over two pounds of fat per week without losing any lean mass.

You seem to have clear goals and the determination to make significant changes in your body composition. It just may take more time than you have outlined. Keep that vision in your mind and work hard to get there. Just be careful of reducing calories too far or excessive high intensity cardio.

Good luck!

[quote]jerryiii wrote:
First, I’m glad that your goal is to lose body fat and not simply to lose weight. With that in mind, you will need to continually monitor your progress in those terms. You should create a weekly chart to record your body weight, body fat %, fat weight, and lean mass. Watch your lean mass carefully and make sure that the weight you lose is predominately fat.

Now, in order to lose 15% body fat from your current statistics you would need to lose roughly 33lbs of fat while maintaining all of your lean mass.

Here’s the breakdown:

200lbs, 25% bf = 50lbs fat, 150lbs lbm
167lbs, 10% bf = 17lbs fat, 150lbs lbm

Although everyone is unique and genetic factors play a big role in this process, this goal may be a bit ambitious. Also with such an aggressive schedule it would be very difficult to lose this much weight and have no corresponding loss of lbm. Basically you are looking for a loss of over two pounds of fat per week without losing any lean mass.

You seem to have clear goals and the determination to make significant changes in your body composition. It just may take more time than you have outlined. Keep that vision in your mind and work hard to get there. Just be careful of reducing calories too far or excessive high intensity cardio.

Good luck![/quote]

All this to say, stay on top of your peri-workout nutrition HARD. LBM will be everything. I’ll say it, even though it’s a pipe dream for most: You could even gain some.

[quote]jerryiii wrote:
[/quote]

I created a pretty sweet Excel program that has all that jazz plus approx TEF and RMR. For ease, however, I have been simply multiplying body weight x 11 for calories needed to lose and I have had some success. Shugs wrote in another forum (something to the effect of) that if you’re over 20% bf, use lean mass x n; so, I may do that instead.

That’s where the HOT-ROX and V-Diet come in to play.

[quote]

Good luck![/quote]

Thanks.

Good luck dude and feel free to devote 100% of your attention to this quest to drop the 15%. Ignore all other pursuits as you commit yourself to nothing but success… uhhh, and this has nothing to do with the T-Nation Baseball League. :wink:

Kuz

I’ve got to agree with jerryiii here, in that this goal might be a little too ambitious. I think that getting to 7 or even 10% in one shot would turn you into a n ugly bag of bones. How about getting to a waist size that you haven’t seen in a long time? That seems to me like a more reasonable way to balance lean mass maintenance and fat loss. I admire your determination, and don’t mean to undermine your goals. Godspeed!

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Ignore all other pursuits as you commit yourself to nothing but success… uhhh, and this has nothing to do with the T-Nation Baseball League. :wink:

Kuz[/quote]

Thanks for the support, Kuz. I’ll only be paying attention to T-Nation Baseball, now that my team sucks royal ass, when I play you.

194.5 @ 23.9%

1 week down, 1.1% gone, and .1% ahead of schedule, yippie.

Since I haven’t been eating too clean I used this week to do just that - no food log or calorie counting, just good food.

This is my plan for the next 14 weeks. It’s not set in stone because I’d like to hear some comments or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Week / Program / Diet / Supps
1 / Big Boy Basics (week 7) / T-Dawg 2.0
2 / Big Boy Basics (week 8) / T-Dawg 2.0
3 / Big Boy Basics (week 9) / T-Dawg 2.0
4 / Big Boy Basics (week 10) / T-Dawg 2.0
5 / Big Boy Basics (week 11) / T-Dawg 2.0
6 / Off / normal diet (about 150 - 180g carbs)
7 / OVT / normal diet / HOT-ROX
8 / OVT / normal diet / HOT-ROX
9 / OVT / V-Diet / HOT-ROX
10 / OVT / V-Diet / HOT-ROX
11 / OVT or Meltdown or EDT / V-Diet / HOT-ROX
12 / OVT or Meltdown or EDT/ V-Diet / HOT-ROX
13 / OVT or Meltdown or EDT/ V-Diet / HOT-ROX
14 /OVT or Meltdown or EDT/ V-Diet / HOT-ROX

I thought it would be good to follow 4 weeks of OVT (low reps) with 4 weeks of Meltdown (higher reps). However, if OVT is giving me good results I may stick with that. Or, I may even get a little crazy and go with EDT, I?m not sure. Whadda ya think?

Cardio:

For the rest of Big Boy Basics I will do 15 to 20 minutes of low intensity cardio or gpp Weds and Sats. I also walk 30 minutes in the morning (630 ish) and do 20 - 30 min PHIRE before my workouts (1045ish).

During OVT I will do CT’s running man twice, maybe thrice, per week. It will pretty much be a copy of “The Beast Evolves”

If I choose to do Meltdown or EDT I will keep the cardio to a minimum - no more than prescribed.