T Nation

15 Grams of Protein An Hour?

I was talking to a woman who claimed your body can only digest 15grams an hour of protein. She said that if you eat more than 15 an hour they dont do anything for your muscles. Sometimes I eat like 70grams in one meal and after she told me this, I started trying to space out my protein intake. I find this hard to beleive but I'm not an expert.....somone help me out?

I forget the article, I think it was the webcast article with TC about EAS though, but he said it all stemmed from Lou Firougno (sp) saying you can only ingest like 30 or 35 g of protein in a sitting. There is no scientific evidence of anything like that. Something like digestion would vary among size of the individual, enzymes digested, etc. You can also look at the protein roundtable for this fallacy debunked.

This would be a great topic to research.

I would like to see which body type could digest protein faster:

A huge bodybuilder who just got done with a serious workout, and body is used to having lots of protein, thus expects it during the post-workout stage.

Or a skinny guy with a fast metabolism who just got done doing some sort of strenuous exercise.

Or maybe even someone like me, who has a decent metabolism and build but also is a diabetic and can control his own insulin levels. Assuming I would be in an exhausted post workout state and just took a big shot of the 'slin, how fast would I digest the protein?? ...

Interesting possibilities.... any answers?

Well, there is going to be a rate of digestion as well as a rate of absorption throughout the body, which is probably dependent upon the amount of hungry muscle waiting to grab some available aminos.

I'd guess you'll get some type of g/kg/hr out of this.

Just ask her for her source.

The average IQ of this site is steadily declining. In the nutrition section alone, we have no less than two recent threads of people freaking out because of soy in healthy foods (one of these people actually seems astounded that tofu contains soy), and now we have "I've recently changed my dietary habits because some woman said I should."

Interesting. How about this idea...

Researchers at the University of CT discovered that only 6 grams of protein is needed post-workout to stimulate anabolic growth. Based on the research, drinking an 8oz. glass of chocolate milk supplies the body with high GI sugar and enough bio-available protein for muscle growth. Do we still need 40g scoop whey proteins and another compaies product? It'd be interesting to see the difference between a 4:1 CHO:PRO drink and chocolate milk on post-workout recovery and training gains.

How do you like them apples

Your body will digest and absorb as much protein as it needs based on how much you have broken down your muscle. Consider this, your body absorbs anything you eat gradually as it moves through your small intestine, not all at once. You digest the protein you eat over several hours not 1 hr. and if you eat something that takes a while to break down like a steak then you will be getting a steady flow of protein into the bloodstream for several hours after you eat it.

Maybe a tiny girl can only absorb 15 grams per hour but a guarantee that a big guy with protein starved muscles will absorb more than that. Your muscles are made of protein so you have to eat enough to replace what's been broken down AND more for your muscles to grow bigger. so don't listen to a girl unless she is bigger and stronger than you, I don't care if she has all the credentials in the world you are gonna be hard pressed to eat too much protein.

6 grams of protein. I believe they mean, in addition to normal dietary amounts of protein.

6 grams of protein can have the potential to be 30 grams of lean body mass.(cells are only 20% protein).

it's all about nitrogen balance anyway. They can throw out some low range number on 6 grams of protein, but thats just enough to make you be in anabolism, that doesnt necessarily imply the magnitude of growth will be the same on a higher protein diet.

6 grams is such a flukey ass number, just because protein needs are pretty varied from person to person.

Please tell me you are kidding. The key word is "stimulate". I doubt you'll get much gains if any. Anyone drinking chocolate milk for their sole post workout recovery drink should be ______ (fill in the blank)

Hey not too long ago someone asked if he could drink beer postworkout.

A crude rule of thumb is take a max of 1/4 the lbs of body mass in grams of protein. A 200 lb man should take max of 50 gr of protein at one time.

I'll need a source for that, also.

Those damn women !

"Phillips SM.

Exercise Metabolism Research Group, Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. phillis@mcmaster.ca

Daily requirements for protein are set by the amount of amino acids that is irreversibly lost in a given day. Different agencies have set requirement levels for daily protein intakes for the general population; however, the question of whether strength-trained athletes require more protein than the general population is one that is difficult to answer. At a cellular level, an increased requirement for protein in strength-trained athletes might arise due to the extra protein required to support muscle protein accretion through elevated protein synthesis. Alternatively, an increased requirement for protein may come about in this group of athletes due to increased catabolic loss of amino acids associated with strength-training activities. A review of studies that have examined the protein requirements of strength-trained athletes, using nitrogen balance methodology, has shown a modest increase in requirements in this group. At the same time, several studies have shown that strength training, consistent with the anabolic stimulus for protein synthesis it provides, actually increases the efficiency of use of protein, which reduces dietary protein requirements. Various studies have shown that strength-trained athletes habitually consume protein intakes higher than required. A positive energy balance is required for anabolism, so a requirement for "extra" protein over and above normal values also appears not to be a critical issue for competitive athletes because most would have to be in positive energy balance to compete effectively. At present there is no evidence to suggest that supplements are required for optimal muscle growth or strength gain. Strength-trained athletes should consume protein consistent with general population guidelines, or 12% to 15% of energy from protein. "

if you read the whole article you'll find he left some key points out of the abstract.

stuff like "In support of the idea that training might induce an increase in resting muscle protein turnover, protein requirements of highly trained bodybuilders were found to be only 12% greater than those of sedentary controls who had a protein requirement of 0.84 g ? kg?1 ? d?1.[40] The results of this study [40] highlight a consistent yet puzzling result. When consuming a protein intake (actually equivalent to the habitual protein requirement of the bodybuilders) of approximately 2.8 g ? kg?1 ? d?1, all bodybuilders were in highly positive nitrogen balance (12 to 20 g of nitrogen per day). When extrapolated back to actual body protein, this means that the bodybuilders should have gained approximately 300 to 500 g of lean mass per day (assuming a tissue water content of 75%), which obviously did not occur.[40] The increasingly positive nitrogen balance associated with higher protein intakes that was observed in this [40] and other [41 and 42] studies is often incorrectly used to justify the high protein intakes for resistance-trained athletes. Such shortcomings of nitrogen balance have long been recognized and have led to the recommendation of combining tracer and nitrogen balance approaches to determining protein requirements."

and
"Lemon et al.[42] showed that novice weightlifters require more dietary protein (1.4 to 1.5 g ? kg?1 ? d?1) than do more experienced weightlifters (1.05 g ? kg?1 ? d?1), as reported in a previous study.[40] In addition, when intense weightlifting is combined with training for sports with power and aerobic bases (rugby and football), protein requirements have been reported to be as high as 1.76 g ? kg?1 ? d?1.[41] After an initiation phase of any resistance training program and the initial adaptation to the performance of exercise are over ( Figure 5), it is hard to reconcile that resistance-trained athletes would have markedly elevated protein requirements."

and
"ence, athletes who are trying to "make weight" for a particular competition by decreasing their caloric intake to deficit levels may lose some lean mass. [57 and 58] Importantly for this review, however, is the knowledge that performance of resistance exercise during hypoenergetic periods appears to attenuate, if not completely ablate, the loss of lean body mass. [59] In addition, consumption of a moderately higher amount of protein than normal (27% of energy intake, which was 6 MJ/d, or 100 g of protein) during energy restriction may attenuate and perhaps even completely prevent lean mass losses [60];"

She is completely wrong, and an idiot.

She should do some research, get some facts, and shut up until she knows what she is talking about.

The best thing to do when someone tells you stuff like that is take a big swig of shake, then spit it out on her face. Best education she'll ever get. Because she obviously doesn't respond to actual scientific facts or conventional learning. So something like spitting a beverage on her might work, it certainly influences other lower primates.

Seriously though there are limits to how much protein you can break down at one serving and perhaps 70g is a bit much, varies from person to person and time to time, 30-40g is sensible, you should space it out a bit, for other reasons as well, you could probably get by with 2 x 30g shakes in an hour. Much more than 15g though, at least double that and probably 4x or 5x that. If desperate you can take enzymes to help you digest, also papaya is good and pinapple and other things. But you should not need to be consuming much more than 30g an hour anyway.

HAHA that guy CRACKED me up... TOFU CONTAINS SOY!!! HAHAHAHHA.

Could'nt agree more.

THeir has been a few studies with that magic 6 grams of "protein". What most people don't know, is that at least one of them was from 6 grams of free-form uncoupled essential amino acids taken before and after a workout...not protein. And that was combined with 35 grams sucrose/glucose. 6 grams of essential aminos is a little pricey compared to 40 grams whey with 35 grams glucose.
And, it's not just taking the protein after a workout, it's combining it with the carbs that makes it effective....Surge anyone. 6 grams protein alone, even with carbs is a fucking joke, if that chocolate milk shit is helping people recover, I'm guessing it is mainly due to the carbs in it and not the pittly amount of protein.

Basically, it works like this.

You NEED calories, and you are going to get them from 1 of 3 places... Protein, Carbs, and Fats. Considering the fact that protein has a 30% thermogenic effect (your body only absorbs 70% of the calories consumed from protein) it is an excellent food to boost your metabolism and get your calories from.

On a 3500 cal/day diet, only eating 300 cals worth of protein and fat (roughly 80 grams and 40 grams) will leave you eating a HUUUUGGGEEE amount of calories from carbohydrates (600 grams). You might as well incorporate more protein and get the thermogenic effect as well as not be eating so many carbs.

Okay, some of you guys might want to search out the articles on here about post workout nutrition.

Surge comes to mind.

Also, so does a certain double-tap by Berardi, where chocolate milk is mentioned as a poor mans PWO drink.