T Nation

15 And Fat

Hi guys, I’m 15 and 180 pounds and 5 ft 8 inches! very fat:( I am going to change the way I eat from now. Basically I want to loose the fat while hopefully maintaining muscle.
Can anyone suggest a good plan for me to go on/diet or whatever, there are soo many choices and I am a noob.

Any help would be awesome!
Thanks.

What height are you?

5 ft 8 inches

Look dude I have no good eating or training to talk to you about… beacause im also at that point.
I was about your size when i was 15 and graduated high school at 210.
Look you are doing the right thing, you realized it early in the game. Stick with this and stay motivated I wish i would have./////

[quote]n12k wrote:
Hi guys, I’m 15 and 180 pounds and 5 ft 8 inches! very fat:( I am going to change the way I eat from now. Basically I want to loose the fat while hopefully maintaining muscle.
Can anyone suggest a good plan for me to go on/diet or whatever, there are soo many choices and I am a noob.

Thanks.[/quote]

Everyone says it and everyone is right. All new people should be forced to read the beginner thread in the beginner section.

Read every word of every article. Then do it again. Then , when you have a somewhat directed question come back and most will be quite willing to help.

And by the way, I know right where you are coming from. I wrestled at 180 as a freshman and heavyweight from then on.

Big boned

cardio would help =] haha no seriously, you need to start running if you haven’t allready. Lower your caloric intake, make good food choices, sald instead of chips, water instead of soda. Add 30 min of cardio (running) a day. YOu will see drastic changes soon. Its all about patience and determination…weight training is a whole other thing.

Thanks guys for all your input!
I find it hard to stay with good eating habits, hopefully I will be able to break the habit, it’s just hard. Reading the forums has been great for motavational purposes though, I never thouhgt I would find a site as good as this, for free!
Thanks.

[quote]n12k wrote:

Thanks.[/quote]

You really don’t sound THAT fat. I’m your hieght, a bit heavier, and a year older. And I’m definetly not “fat”. I’ve got fat on me, a good amount, but I don’t look near obese. In fact, you can’t really tell, shirt on or off, that I’m in the upper 20%'s.

Maybe we’re just built differently then?

Anyways, I know EXACTLY where your comming from. Good luck with everything. Bust ass and all that! The eating thing gets better. Try eating a big breakfast, keeps me less hungry throughout the day.

I have been there, man. It can be overcome. I was 240 at 5’11" when I was 16 and I dropped to 186 at 6’1" before I started bulking again. I am now over 205 but lower bf%. I really reccomend getting your diet down before worrying about excercise. At this point, I’d reccomend picking up wrestling, football, rugby…something with good cardio since you’re still in school.

Try out a simple routine like Big Boy Basics or Total Body Training and stick with it. After a few months, start Rippetoe’s Starting Strength or another good strength program when you get acclimated to lifting. Consistentcy is important, remember that.

Good luck.

Even if you don’t read the whole Beginner’s thread Vroom put together

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350

then, as far as diets go, you need to just learn to make some solid food choices and your weight will go down and muscle up. Here is one of the best ways to go about doing it.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459493

stick to that 90% of the time and train hard and you will be very happy with the changes.

Kubo

Youre not fat you just havent grown into your body yet!!

[quote]Beowolf wrote:

You really don’t sound THAT fat. I’m your hieght, a bit heavier, and a year older. And I’m definetly not “fat”. I’ve got fat on me, a good amount, but I don’t look near obese. In fact, you can’t really tell, shirt on or off, that I’m in the upper 20%'s.

Maybe we’re just built differently then?

.[/quote]

I was 16 and 186lbs. I weigh the same today that I did 11 years ago. But I was a rack of bones until at 14 over two summers of eating junk food and doing no activity that I put on 60lbs of fat.

So I stopped eating junk. I got down to 136lbs. I’m 5’11", but that’s what I truly weighed without the fat (remember, I’m a hardcore ectomorph). So it is possible for this guy to be holding A LOT of fat if he’s got no muscle.

I lost all the fat over a 1 year long promise to myself.
It was this:
I’d eat dinner. Drink lots of cold water. I’d eat a small snack (1 piece of rye toast and peanut butter) and drink some milk before bed.

I’D EAT NOTHING BETWEEN DINNER AND BEDTIME MEALS.

NOTHING!
I lost over 50lbs of fat in 1 year. It’s since taken me 9 years almost to put on 50lbs of muscle and get to a weight that I was at 16. It blows my mind sometimes.

Just keep a positive outlook kid, and say no when you’re craving junk food. It’s okay to go hungry sometimes (not starve! just eat small meals every 3-4 hours and nothing in between).

If you have to snack during the day, get addicted to low-fat popcorn. It’s 150 calories, only 5g of fat and has a good 5g of fiber IF you can actually manage to eat 1/2 a bag. It’s filling. Apples are a good choice too. Apples make you thin.

Thanks for the excellent posts and support, they were great!

Someone else suggested it, but if at all possible get on a sports team(s) at your school. Practices will get you a regular workout routine and most schools have an off-season program for their athletes.