14 Yr Old Looking to Build a Lean Body

Hey I’m 14 years old and have been lurking this website and reading as much as i can for the last month or so, most of what I’ve found has been to do with build mass (DUUUH), but that does not suite my present goals. Before I get into what my goals are I shall give you and idea of what I’m working with.

I’m 5’5" and I weight 121 pounds with 11-13% body fat (abs not visible without flexing). The gym equipment I have access to includes a pull up bar, a set of gymnastic rings, a set of dumbbells going up to 20 kilograms and a smith machine. I can currently both squat and deadlift with 20 kilograms in each hand and can pistol squat 3 times comfortably with an additional 12 kilograms of weight. I can do a pull up with an additional 20 kilograms as well.

Now onto my goals, I’m trying to get my body lean and efficient as I can for the sport I play, parkour. If you guys don’t know what that is I suggest looking it up on youtube. for this sport I need to be able to move my body as quickly as possible, while remaining nimble. I need to be able to run fast, jump high, and pull myself up and over any obstacle.

My current routine looks like this
Monday Legs:
Pistol squat 3X2so
DB straight leg DL 3X5
Bulgarian Split Squat 5X5
Single Leg Calf Raise 2X10
Natural GHR 5X3

Tuesday Back and Chest:
Pull ups 5X6 (with 10 pound weighted vest)
Push ups 5X20 (with 10 pound weighted vest)
Handstand push ups against wall 5X5 (can’t get full ROM yet)

Wednesday off/training parkour

Thursday Legs:
Jump Squat 2X6
DB straight leg DL 2X8
DB lunge 2X8
Natural GHR 5X5

Friday Back and Chest:
Same as Tuesday

Saturday and Sunday is either running/cycling or more parkour training.

I’m currently eating 3 meals a day Paleo diet style. here a sample day

Breakfast: 3 omega-3 eggs (scrambled or omelette)

Lunch: Smoked Turkey breast with celery+carrot+cucumber+tomatoes
and an apple

Snack: cottage cheese with flax seeds or an apple

Dinner: whatever my mom makes. usually steak/chicken with veg (lots of broccoli, asparagus and spinach)

Basically I’m looking for whatever advice you guys can offer me in the way of how I should change my routine or diet, keep in mind I do not want to be a bodybuilder, I want to drop to about 8% body fat yet retain as much strength as possible, and hopefully gain strength. I also do not want to take any supplement other than fish oil and flax seeds (if they even count as supplements any more)

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have a 40 lbs xvest, which can be loaded anywhere from 1-40 lbs.

Hmm it sounds like as far as a strength training program your doing alright assuming you are strengthining yourself in real life situations durring your parkour runs.

I wouldnt really concern myself with diet all that much I mean just dont go over board one way or the other.

The only thing I could think would be some agility and balance as well, coordination drills, o yeah and BOX JUMPS.

If I were to train specificaly for parkour I would want to keep my training as functional as possible.

Also look at what these guys do, REAL STRENGTH - YouTube

I would think that would be the kind of strength you would need.

Check this site out too for learining:

Also look at http://beastskills.com/

Those are great websites above. You could also check out crossfit.com and gymjones. I assume you already know americanparkour.com.

Although I am in a strength training phase right now, I have used crossfit in the past to become a much, much better athlete, and I intend to go back to it once I have reached some strength goals.

Good luck, parkour is bad@ss!

Thanks KrazieD, I’ve actually seen all of those links before and have started implementing the frog stand and advanced tuck front levers, not in a formal manner yet though, just practicing them whenever i get bored. I love beastskills and that website has definitely helped me so far.

To bretcharles, I’ve checked out crossfit and I’ve tried a few of their workouts, and I’m thinking of implementing a lot of their stuff into some of my days.

What should I add or take away to aid me in getting don’t to single digit body fat though?

Edit: keep in mind I’m 14 years old and don’t want to mess myself up

[quote]ginroth wrote:

Edit: keep in mind I’m 14 years old and don’t want to mess myself up[/quote]

Thats one of the main reasons I wouldnt be all too concerened with your diet and bodyfat. I would say do alot of cardio number 1 because you need to be conditiond to run and jump and do all of that at the same time, number 2 if you want to get your body fat down with out building alot of muscle (heavy muscle) that is the only way to do it.

P.S. about 45 min of steady state cardio (walking, biking, light jogging you get the point), for the first 30 mins the way the energy systems work is by burning glycogen or carbohydrate (energy), your fat or stored energy on the other hand your body is going to do everything it can to hold on to that for the long winters with out food (cavemen).

Keep in mind that fat is only burned in the presence of oxygen, so as far as exercise goes that would mean aerobic.

lol…one of my goals is to be able to do some free running (parkour) stuff :stuck_out_tongue: gl