T Nation

14 Years Old

Hey Guys I am 14…86.6 kg,191 lbs,5’11" …16-17% body fat …I want to bulk untel February and then cut,I lose fat rly slowly but I retain muscle well.Do you think (based on my photos) that I can naturaly becoem BIG…I mean do I look genetically Ok to be big…
do you have any suggestions… I am currently on this tarining routine
Description of Workout:

Important Notes:

* Warm up with cardio for 5-10 minutes.
* Stretches and flexibility exercises for 5-10 minutes.
* Stretch the worked muscles at the end of the workout, and cool down 5-10 minutes.
* Abdominals on Monday and Thursday

Daily Workout Schedule:
Monday - Shoulders and Triceps
Shoulders
Exercise Sets Reps
Smith Machine Shoulder Press 4 12,10,8,6
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 4 12,10,8,6
Dumbbell Reverse Fly 4 12,10,8,6
Dumbbell Shrugs 4 12,10,8,6
Triceps
Exercise Sets Reps
Lying Tricep Extension 3 10,8,6
One Arm Cable Extension 3 10,8,6
One Arm Dumbbell Extension 3 10,8,6
Tuesday - Back
Back
Exercise Sets Reps
Wide Grip Pull Up 4 12,10,8,6
Close Grip Pull Down 4 12,10,8,6
One Arm Dumbbell Row 4 12,10,8,6
Bent Over Barbell Row 4 12,10,8,6

Wednesday - Rest Day
Thursday - Chest and Biceps
Chest
Exercise Sets Reps
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 12,10,8,6
Barbell Bench Press 4 12,10,8,6
Incline Dumbbell Flys 4 12,10,8,6
Cable Crossovers 4 12,10,8,6
Biceps
Exercise Sets Reps
Incline Dumbbell Curl 3 10,8,6
Preacher Curl 3 10,8,6
Standing Hammer Curl 3 10,8,6
Friday - Legs
Quads, Hamstrings & Glutes
Exercise Sets Reps
Squat 4 12,10,8,6
45 Degree Leg Press 4 12,10,8,6
Leg Extension 4 12,10,8,6
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 4 12,10,8,6
Calves
Exercise Sets Reps
Seated calf Raise 3 10,8,8
Standing Calf Raise 3 15,12,10

Saturday and Sunday - Rest Days

Credit for the workout:Doug Lawrenson at muscleandstrength.com

My diet is usually like this

Morning: 100gr cottage cheese scrambled with two eggs,and 2 piecies of bread ,and multivitamin,magnesium and calcium pills and a glass of milk

At school:50gr of peanuts

at home: 1 plate of some kind of stew(with vegetables) with 100 gr of meat and 450 gr of low fat yogurt,and some bread

Pre-workout: 4-5 fruits (apples oranges,whatever)and a glass of milk
Post-workout: bread with some honey ond 250 gr of chicken breast

After 2 hours-250 gr of chicken breast with 1 glass of milk
The last meal: 450 gr of yogurt…

Any suggestions

http://www.T-Nation.com/forum_images/mytphotos/fullSize/7f65d-IGZ.bt231282_02.jpg
http://www.T-Nation.com/forum_images/mytphotos/fullSize/4220e-Photo_0058.jpg
http://www.T-Nation.com/forum_images/mytphotos/fullSize/417c4-Photo_0059.jpg
http://www.T-Nation.com/forum_images/mytphotos/fullSize/41389-Photo_0057.jpg
http://www.T-Nation.com/forum_images/mytphotos/fullSize/b1816-Photo_0055.jpg

That is stepping waaay ahead before you need to. Why not starting Strength? You need a major base before its really worth isolating like that. What are your core lifts looking like? bench, squat, and deadlift.

Also I would say space out your diet more. 500-600 calories of clean protein+fat or protein + carbs (wichever works for you) meals every 3 hours. I make it easy and carry around a few chicken breasts wrapped in tinfoil in my backpack + a jar of natty PB and some fishoil caps.

also don’t sweat it with the bulking and cutting thing. You’re 14 and if you want to gain a respectable amount of size its going to take YEARS of doing this correctly. Cutting now would really just slow you down for a month or two of muscle loss since while cutting you are A, not attaining more muscle, and B, slightly losing some of your already attained muscle. If you stick to a lean well timed bulk diet and simple compound lifts it will bring you a long way in a few months time. Much longer than 743 reps to hit your shoulders every time you hit the gym.

squat 100 kg for 6 reps…
bench 70 kg(this sux)
deadlift-120 kg for 6 reps 140 kg one rep max
285 kg of leg press-6 reps

1 Like

well…for teh cutting thingy…I rly want to be lean for summer,I have been rly fat when I was a child,plus this workout sounds cool and has mase me gain a good amount of muscle…

You’ll still be able to push lean for the summer with a six pack and all. I know how it is. I was very overweight at one point. You don’t actually look fat from your photos, if anything the muscular increase from doing a routine like Starting Strength for a few months, and cleaning up your diets timing would put you at a lean 10% and a good increase in your muscular structure by summer.

Have you checked out Dr. John Berardi’s nutritional articles on the site?

yep read o lot of articles,but I am a lil afraid to start strength at 14…anyways I cant use any supps…no whey no creatine

Why afraid? Its the general start all program. especially for teenagers. No supps required :stuck_out_tongue:

Listen to t3hlulz, Starting Strength will probably work great for you at this point. And don’t go on a cut unless you’re sure it’s worth several months worth of muscle. You do seem to have a good base, but as anyone you’ll have to work your ass off to get anywhere physique wise. There’s a reason there’s not many big guys around.

Just to jump in, Starting Strength isn’t the end all, be all, beginner program. It doesn’t suit everyone and isn’t the perfect program. Recommending to every single beginner that they should do starting strength is overkill, especially at 14 years old. I’m not saying avoid the program, but explore some more options as well.

[quote]Marlind wrote:
Hey Guys I am 14…86.6 kg,191 lbs,5’11" …16-17% body fat …I want to bulk untel February and then cut,I lose fat rly slowly but I retain muscle well.Do you think (based on my photos) that I can naturaly becoem BIG…I mean do I look genetically Ok to be big…
do you have any suggestions… I am currently on this tarining routine

[/quote]

First of all, don’t think about genetics at all that’ll simply limit what you can do. You don’t need people to tell you if you can become big or not, if you want to get big, then eat a lot, lift heavy, and sleep. You’re fourteen so you’ll make huge gains if you try.

[quote]Josh Rider wrote:
Just to jump in, Starting Strength isn’t the end all, be all, beginner program. It doesn’t suit everyone and isn’t the perfect program. Recommending to every single beginner that they should do starting strength is overkill, especially at 14 years old. I’m not saying avoid the program, but explore some more options as well.[/quote]

Finally! Someone with some reason here.

Ever since Starting Strength became popular, it’s recommended to every beginner who comes here.

Look, it’s a good program. It will add mass and strength to most beginners (and some intermediates). But there are a lot of other programs (some even very similar but better in some ways - like “Scrawny to Brawny” by John Berardi) that are better suited depending on a person’s goals, age, current stats, etc.

I have done some strength when I started I have about 6 months of experience plus,2 years of studing bodybuilding…and biology…

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Josh Rider wrote:
Just to jump in, Starting Strength isn’t the end all, be all, beginner program. It doesn’t suit everyone and isn’t the perfect program. Recommending to every single beginner that they should do starting strength is overkill, especially at 14 years old.

I’m not saying avoid the program, but explore some more options as well.

Finally! Someone with some reason here.

Ever since Starting Strength became popular, it’s recommended to every beginner who comes here.

Look, it’s a good program. It will add mass and strength to most beginners (and some intermediates). But there are a lot of other programs (some even very similar but better in some ways - like “Scrawny to Brawny” by John Berardi) that are better suited depending on a person’s goals, age, current stats, etc.
[/quote]

While I agree Starting Strength may be overhyped at this point it should in no way be discarded because it is too mainstream, it works good for almost all beginners who try it. I was pretty similar to the OP when I started out 6 months ago, just skinnier and leaner.

Anyway, it is the only program I have experience with yet and for me it helped me progress a lot. So obviously I’m biased and I can’t really run around and recommend programs I have no experience of, but an increase from 500 to 830 pounds total(5x3) makes me feel obligated to recommend it. It also teaches a lot of the basics that he might not pick up without reading a lot of articles.

I also do not understand why recommending Starting Strength to a 14 year old would be seen as “overkill”, I’d be glad if you could further explain that.

Edit: I’ll check out that Scrawny to Brawny program. Berardi’s a very knowledgable person.

So guys …I njured my knee so no legs this week,so what do u suggest to me to change…I wan to add msucle until february ,and then cut…I’ll post some more recent pictures…And How would you rate my body??

Do some sheiko or something…

I wnat to be big,not to be super strong,I am a bodybuilder type not powerlifter,at least I want to be

You’ll get bigger if you get stronger, the two are not mutually exclusive. If you’ve hurt your leg, just focus on your upper body for now.

How about

Westside for Skinny Bastards III

Much more hypertrophy orientated. Scrawny to Brawny good also work.

This guy already has some strength so doesn’t really need to SS that badly, although cycling through strength/hypertrophy programs can work.

I would suggest looking around the Body Building section, as you are not a complete beginner.

My 14 year old son is following Westside for Skinny Bastards the last month and Starting Strength on and off for the year prior He has made great progress on these programs (gained around 30 pounds over the last 13 months, has made descent strength gains, increase in speed and box jump height, etc.)

So I definetely will vouch for these programs. My son’s goals are more sports oriented however (strength, power, hypertrophy, mobility). I also place high importance on learning to perform the lifts correctly and staying injury free.

Given a more body building set of goals, I would also suggest Skrawny to Brawny. I have been through the book several times now. It is a very solid program that combines both strength and hypertrophy, as well as has some solid nutritional advice.

If my son were more focused on body building … I would have started him off on the beginner Starting Strength program and then to Skrawny to Brawny.

Once you heal up, I think you would make really good progress with Skrawny to Brawny. You can evaluate if you need to do the first phase (1 month) based on your most recent levels of strength and mobility. And really make sure you are doing the exercises using strict form for now.

You have a great start and best of luck.