T Nation

14 Years Old & 183 Lbs, Intro

I am currently 14 years old, and live in Canada. I am not allowed to do many of the excersizes due to my age, but i am slowly working on it. I cannot do squats, deadlifts, and shrugs for i am still growing. I am also not allowed to find my 1RM so I will post online calculations

My Stats:
5’8"
Last i checked (dec 6), 183lb
Got Very different body fat % readings (from 13.5 to 16.??%)
Waist: 32"
Shoe Size 12-13, wide feet (Eliteballa3 lol)

Bench Declined: Estimated (online calc) 173lb, 130lb x 8-10
Bench Flat: Estimated 164lb, 115lb x 10
Squats: None, but i can Leg Press around 210lb x 8-10
Deadlift + Shrug: Once I deadlifted and Shrugged 185, i was doing well until on the third rep i pulled my back muscle, unsure which one.

I have been on T-Nation for a while, and recently made an account. I have read the articles, and will be doing the Velocity Diet shortly. I am not self-confident enough to actually pose a front shot with the vest off, but you can still see a bit of definiton. I have been working out for around 3 months, out of which i was fasting for 1 month (cannot eat and drink, wikipedia ramadan for more info) and actually did dieting + real workouts for 1 1/2 months.

Any help is appericiated. I know i dont look 183lb at all, but i can assure you i am. I have good genetics, but a tendency to store more fat then i need. I have been extremly overweight before (BMI 30+, bf% over 25%) and i decided that something needed to be changed.

Although a fairly debatable topic, most people here will tell there is absolutely no problem doing squats, deads, etc at your age. In fact, your age is an ideal time to put on some good mass given your t-levels! And nothing grows muscle like squats and deads…:slight_smile:

Just do them with correct form, and keep the reps above 6 (or 8, or 10, depending who you talk to)

[quote]Foxen wrote:
Although a fairly debatable topic, most people here will tell there is absolutely no problem doing squats, deads, etc at your age. In fact, your age is an ideal time to put on some good mass given your t-levels! And nothing grows muscle like squats and deads…:slight_smile:

Just do them with correct form, and keep the reps above 6 (or 8, or 10, depending who you talk to)[/quote]

Yea my gym teacher tells me that if i absolutely have to do them (squats) i have to stay over 15 reps. For deads and shrugs, i should not do them, or stay fairly low.

The Velocity Diet is not for 14 year olds. You’re still growing; you shouldn’t be doing any restrictive dieting. Just clean it up a little bit if you’re that concerned with bodyfat. Eating big and smart will pay off in the future.

[quote]phox wrote:
The Velocity Diet is not for 14 year olds. You’re still growing; you shouldn’t be doing any restrictive dieting. Just clean it up a little bit if you’re that concerned with bodyfat. Eating big and smart will pay off in the future.[/quote]

Im an Endomorph with slight Mesomorphic things (my shoulders). I gain all types of weight easily, including fat. I can GAIN weight by eating just 1500 to 2000 calories. For the past month and a half ive eaten around 1000 calories. I lost 10lb of fat, and gained 3lb of muscle. I had a slight outline of a 4 pack starting to appear. I am still not “satisfied.” I have pseudogynecomastia. I have been trying as hard as i can to rid myself, but it is very difficult. That is one of the reasons i dont take off my shirt.

Dude you’re 14, do not do the V-Diet. Eat clean and coming from your posts I know you know what that means. Lift and just be a kid. If you work hard it will pay off. Also tell your gym teacher hes a big retard too.

[quote]Outrage247 wrote:
Dude you’re 14, do not do the V-Diet. Eat clean and coming from your posts I know you know what that means. Lift and just be a kid. If you work hard it will pay off. Also tell your gym teacher hes a big retard too. [/quote]

Well… I have had issues with bullying before, but when i was lifting more than all the grade 9s in my school, things started 2 get better. But now, the problem is that im not cut. Ill sould like a retard when i say that i NEED abs. Its the the staple of fitness where i am. Ive seen the difference ive made, the back was 1 of the best improvements. What exactly are the side effects of the V-Diet at my age?

At your age, the V-Diet probably has more chance of doing some growth-stunting than squats or deadlifts.

It’s just not good to deprive your body of nutrients and calories at this age.

Just eat as clean as possible but eat enough to grow. You say it don’t take you much to grow in terms of calories, so that’s a HUGE plus. You could be puttin on serious muscle without havin to stuff yourself, thus possibly makin a cut easier. Stuffin yourself is fun though :smiley: Forget the six pack for a little while, people won’t know a six pack with a shirt on, but they’ll see a serious pair of guns and a butcher’s block chest easily.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
At your age, the V-Diet probably has more chance of doing some growth-stunting than squats or deadlifts.

It’s just not good to deprive your body of nutrients and calories at this age. [/quote]

Oh. Ok. Well then ill stay away from it. Also, I think ive already stopped growing. Im taller than both my parents, heavier, and wider. Hmm… Ill stay on the safe side just incase. Thanks all for the warning

[quote]ahzaz wrote:
Outrage247 wrote:
Dude you’re 14, do not do the V-Diet. Eat clean and coming from your posts I know you know what that means. Lift and just be a kid. If you work hard it will pay off. Also tell your gym teacher hes a big retard too.

Well… I have had issues with bullying before, but when i was lifting more than all the grade 9s in my school, things started 2 get better. But now, the problem is that im not cut. Ill sould like a retard when i say that i NEED abs. Its the the staple of fitness where i am. Ive seen the difference ive made, the back was 1 of the best improvements. What exactly are the side effects of the V-Diet at my age?[/quote]

what you need to do is stop being a pansy and squat + DL.

[quote]AssClown wrote:
Just eat as clean as possible but eat enough to grow. You say it don’t take you much to grow in terms of calories, so that’s a HUGE plus. You could be puttin on serious muscle without havin to stuff yourself, thus possibly makin a cut easier. Stuffin yourself is fun though :smiley: Forget the six pack for a little while, people won’t know a six pack with a shirt on, but they’ll see a serious pair of guns and a butcher’s block chest easily.[/quote]

Thx. But i have Psudogynacomastica (aka man boobs >_>) because ive been severly overweight before. I cant seem to get rid of them, and they annoy me. My arms are bigger than a LOT of grd 9s, but they arent cut at all. Cutting for me is difficult, becuase i cant seem to lose weight as fast as i need to.

[quote]soccergod_ wrote:
ahzaz wrote:
Outrage247 wrote:

Well… I have had issues with bullying before, but when i was lifting more than all the grade 9s in my school, things started 2 get better. But now, the problem is that im not cut. Ill sould like a retard when i say that i NEED abs. Its the the staple of fitness where i am. Ive seen the difference ive made, the back was 1 of the best improvements. What exactly are the side effects of the V-Diet at my age?

what you need to do is stop being a pansy and squat + DL.[/quote]

Yea ill start squatting tomorrow. Deadlifting, ill work on slowly. My dad has a bad back, so im not sure if i might get it geneticly.

dude your 14 who gives a shit about man boobs at that age anyways, over time if you continue to eat properly and work out hard you they will go away and you will be bigger than most of the kids at your school. theres no point in getting rid of them right now its not like chicks give out at 14 anyways…on second thought nvm.

[quote]jck524 wrote:
dude your 14 who gives a shit about man boobs at that age anyways, over time if you continue to eat properly and work out hard you they will go away and you will be bigger than most of the kids at your school. theres no point in getting rid of them right now its not like chicks give out at 14 anyways…on second thought nvm.[/quote]

lol ur chicks post made me laugh. Well its highschool where they matter the most. I am the 2nd heaviest and strongest grd 9 at my school (nerd school >_>) but im not “fit.” I cant take off my shirt anywhere, even the pool. Btw, can any1 tell me how much longer it might take for me to look ripped?

it will take you years, no joke, but honestly if you keep at it youll be very built and cut if done correctly by the time you go to college.

[quote]jck524 wrote:
it will take you years, no joke, but honestly if you keep at it youll be very built and cut if done correctly by the time you go to college.[/quote]

Thanks man, that really encourages me. Thats only 3-4 years away, and if i can look good by then, im happy.

id take advantage of the period you are in to grow as much as possible.

dont do anything specific or restrictive, eat tonnes of clean food and grow grow grow.

also a very good time to get into good habits, so worry more about how you do things than the results right now.

also - if you try and get big AND ripped - youll end up average at both.

if you want status in your school, go the whole way with the strength and size.

i was the biggest, heaviet and strongest at my school and people got out of my way.

also, there are a large number of women who respond to big, strong men…either because of your ‘top of the food chain’ status, or because your strength makes them feel protected, delicate and womanly.

as i said, try and get cut and big at your age, experience and knowledge and you will end up excelling at neither.

Ahzaz, how many push-ups, pull-ups, unweighted (just bodyweight) squats and lunges can you do? How long can you hold a plank for? These are the more important fundamental exercises that you need to focus on, even before squatting, deadlifting, etc.

Are you into any sports? I saw you said you go to a “nerd school.” Ha, not sure what that is, but if they have any type of sports teams (other than chess or D&D), I’d go out for one of them.

The great thing about your age is that you’re going to be very responsive to exercise. Increase your activity a little, get 5 smart meals each day (protein fiber and vegetables in each), and get enough sleep everyday.

Dude, no problem at all. A bit of consistency, a bit of patience, and a bit of listening to the smarter guys around here, and you’ll be golden.

Your body (really any body thats under around 23 or so years of age) is really responsive. Your look is going to be the byproduct of what you put into your body and the types of physical activity you perform.

I’ll say it again, eat CLEAN. Nothing restrictive just hold back on the twinkies, instead focus on taking in plenty of greens, good assortment of meats (red, white, fatty and lean) and try to balance out your fat profile. Meaning take in some Omega 3 as well. I was not aloud to lift till HS. I understand, my dad was all “son it’ll stunt your growth”… I am 6’4 so maybe props to my dad for making me wait :slight_smile:

You seem more concerned with your bf%(chest area) then your overall size and strength. I wont be the typical guy around here and scream WHO CARES IF YA FAT IF YA CAN DEADLIFT THE WORLD! We all care about the way that we look, some of us like being big and strong and IMO bulky. Some want to be cut and ripped and don’t care if our bench never breaks 250.
That being said they ARE right that at your age you have an incredible chance to really set up a good base. If you start lifting with regularity and eating right by your 18th birthday you could really have something going on. Thats not to say you won’t see results in a year, but they will pail in comparison to what you can do if your consistent and you work hard.

These guys are good at what they do, listen and your gonna be fine.