14 Year Old Basketball Player

Peace to all, heres the stats, my son started playin bball a lil over a year ago, skillz has improved but he wants to workout a lil to get some mass like dad here, i’m in asia so of course his jhs doesn’t have a weight room, so i decided to train him at the crib, about 6’1", maybe 80lbs the most, very skinny, but excellent diet, eats like a horse,

so i started him off with no weight body exercises for a coupla weeks, using Chad Waterbury Rope Revolution as the base, clutching just the rope the first week to work on form and improve grip strength from the start…the exercises are step.ups, pull thrus, single arm floor press(no bench yet but soon), reverse wood chop, bent over rows, hammer curls, overhead tricep extentions. we’ve move up to 8lb kbell with/rope and he seems to be gettin stronger but do i keep him at this weight for another week or should move up to say 10pounds or so?

also this would be his forth week on this program should i keep him on this longer than six weeks or should i change up now??? and last but not least, whats the most sound way to increase vertical leap, keeping in mind that this home training with some outdoor work(pullups, etc.)thanks way in advance for any and all help…peace

Squat to improve vert.

[quote]roler wrote:
Peace to all, heres the stats, my son started playin bball a lil over a year ago, skillz has improved but he wants to workout a lil to get some mass like dad here, i’m in asia so of course his jhs doesn’t have a weight room, so i decided to train him at the crib, about 6’1", maybe 80lbs the most, very skinny, but excellent diet, eats like a horse,

so i started him off with no weight body exercises for a coupla weeks, using Chad Waterbury Rope Revolution as the base, clutching just the rope the first week to work on form and improve grip strength from the start…the exercises are step.ups, pull thrus, single arm floor press(no bench yet but soon), reverse wood chop, bent over rows, hammer curls, overhead tricep extentions. we’ve move up to 8lb kbell with/rope and he seems to be gettin stronger but do i keep him at this weight for another week or should move up to say 10pounds or so?

also this would be his forth week on this program should i keep him on this longer than six weeks or should i change up now??? and last but not least, whats the most sound way to increase vertical leap, keeping in mind that this home training with some outdoor work(pullups, etc.)thanks way in advance for any and all help…peace [/quote]

Did you really say 6’1 and 80lbs?? The first priority should be nutrition.

Secondly, if you are looking at bb skills and functionality forget about vertical per se. Means very little in overall bb ability or level. More important is a the ability to jump multiple times and box out. Squats, deads, shoulder and core work are your basics here.

Jump and touch is great for bb. Simply standing under a fixed object and jumping-landing-going into jump position-and jumping again as high as you can. 4-5 jumps should be enoiugh. Wall sitting is great for leg strength. A lot of downhill skiers use this for leg development. Just squat down against a wall and sit in position for whatever 30-60 seconds.

Don’t worry about advancing his weights to quickly. Obviously, if it’s to light move up, but that is not your focus right now. At that weight, I would move slowly and let his body mature and catch up. He needs pounds more than he needs to be concerned about the amount of weight he is lifting.

Bodyweight exercises are great to start of at that age. Alwyn Cosgrove wrote:“Unless you can perform twenty pushups in good from, get your ass off the bench press. Too easy? The same rule applies to the single leg squat. If you can’t perform 8-10 good reps, then why are you using two legs to squat with external load?” in his “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Program Design” (use search and read the article, it has some good points.

Pistols will do great for vert, as will some basic plyometric movement, which will also help general jumping ability. Try box jumps and similar movements, there are loads of them. Also pushups with varyiing grips, clapping pushups, pullups, dips. You don’t want him to injure himself, so let him build a base of strength and control, then move him on to weights when they are really necessary. They will probably be necessary soon, but I would recommend using bodyweight over external resistance when starting out.

thanks and sorry it took me a sec to respond back, new baby and all, time is definantly an enemy. ok so i’ll finish up this program with him at this weight and then focus on more body weight ex’s, but where i’m finding conflict is jumping exercises? i have read on this site if i’m not mistaking is too stay away from jumping ex’s and focus more on compound movements and save the jumping for practice etc., and now that he’s out on summer vacation he’ll be practiceing almost every day and doing tourny’s, how should i structure his workouts, oh yeah the kid weights 65k/144lbs, i guess to me he looks like 80lbs…lololol…peace peeps and once again thanks.

one!

Practice the “3” we need him in 2012. LOL