13yr. old phenom at APA Sacramento Meet

awesome! that was at my friend chips gym. body tribe in sacramento right?

do you guys train there are just compete there?

[quote]asooneyeonig wrote:
awesome! that was at my friend chips gym. body tribe in sacramento right?

do you guys train there are just compete there?[/quote]

You are spot on! It is Chip Conrad’s Body Tribe gym. Unfortunately we just compete there. We live in Red Bluff, CA about 100 miles north. I love Body Tribe though, if I lived in Sac I would without a doubt train there. I love Chip’s vibe and environment.

The statement “What were you doing at 13???” seems dick-ish because we can’t infer tone, that’s why people are being dicks back. Most people aren’t lifting by 13 anyway, because some parents didn’t lift when we were that age. He did well for his age, yes, but phenom isn’t the right word. I mean c’mon, the last Power magazine has “Dave Hoff: The Phenom” on the front, that’s a phenom. People on the internet are always going to attack things like this because they were expected some kid breaking world records. It doesn’t take away from what he did, your words just weren’t correct and they hurt some of our butts. lol

[quote]TylerPK4L wrote:
The statement “What were you doing at 13???” seems dick-ish because we can’t infer tone, that’s why people are being dicks back. Most people aren’t lifting by 13 anyway, because some parents didn’t lift when we were that age. He did well for his age, yes, but phenom isn’t the right word. I mean c’mon, the last Power magazine has “Dave Hoff: The Phenom” on the front, that’s a phenom. People on the internet are always going to attack things like this because they were expected some kid breaking world records. It doesn’t take away from what he did, your words just weren’t correct and they hurt some of our butts. lol[/quote]

Exactly. The guy got a reality check and got all butthurt about it and lashed out. Half the world’s kids are an “honor roll student” if bumper stickers are any indication, yet somehow they are still a special unique snowflake and deserving of their own wall of accomplishments and room to hold all their participation trophies.

The kid definitely has talent and potential. I hope he goes on to break world records. He definitely has the support behind him.

[quote]Crow wrote:
Alright I spent a day reading posts about my 13 YRS OLD stepson. I have a lot of things to say. First of all, I used the term “phenom” is a proud parent, who is very excited about the effort my son has put forth training and competing. I was using it as a form of encouragement and celebration for him a see and be motivated by to continue training and busting ass in the gym on a weekly basis. I did not realize the “exactness” police were going to critique my summary. I don’t know if the haters don’t have children, are jealous, or just down right bad people that they have to degrade a 13 year old. To (Anus bleach, TigerTime, Suflandy, anmericaninsweden, heavytriple, gerrard08) would you say discouraging things to a 13 year old’s face? Or is this classic internet mob/group talk tactics that you have big balls behind a keyboard but are really Grand Canyon size vagina’s in person. To (kpsnap, spar4tee, T3hPunisher, HERC410, robertjr93), thank you for the words and recognition, Henry and I really appreciate it.

BTW:

The APA state/national/and world record in the 13-15 age class at 220 is 340. I think a 315 (305 official) pull for a kid who just turned 13 is pretty phenomonal.

All of the hater talked about what their benches were AT 14 (not 13), not their squat or deadlift. My question has not changed. What were you doing at 13, why weren’t you squating or pulling? I think the mere fact that Henry is, is pretty phenomonal.

To gerrard08 who wnat him to just do BW exercises: you are a douchebag and the reason we suck at weightlifting internationally in this country. Henry can squat 215, what kind of stress and adaptation will BW squats stimulate?

Henry also olympic lifts. He has snatched 85 lbs., clean & jerk 115lbs., cleaned 120lbs. With about 3 months of training.

To all you haters: how many of you have competed and what age did you start? I think starting at 13 and performing well is by its nature phenomonal.

[/quote]

Hey, don’t get pissy just because we don’t see your stepson the same way you do. He’s not our stepson, after all, so what did you expect? He lifts, that’s great. No one is taking that away from him, but we’re not being “exactness police” just because we don’t think this is phenomenal, we just recognize hyperbole when we see it.

That’s another thing, not being hyperbolic =/= being discouraging. Pointing out hyperbole and meeting your challenge to say what we were doing at 13 ( yes, my example was when I was 14, but I think 70+ pounds means more than a few months) does not make us haters either. You literally gave us a written invitation to compare ourselves to your stepson. You have no right to bitch about it just because you don’t like the outcome.

Be proud of your stepson, that’s absolutely fine, but when you try to make him out as being better than all of us, that makes YOU the ‘hater’, not us.

Wow! For a website called Testosterone Nation I didn’t realize it was filled with such sensative people. I apologize for using the term “phenom.” I apologize for asking what others were doing at 13. I’m sorry my words made you FEEL bad. If you have a problem with hyperbole, I guess you love the supplement descriptions and testimonials on this site. Biotest is built on hyperbole. But I will point out nobody has been able to match his accomplishments. Even if you aren’t a parent of one, has other coach or trainer on this forum produced a better lifter at Henry’s age with 6 months of training. 315 at 13 is pretty damn remarkable. Hell there is a road to 405 deadlift on this forum (I’m assuming this is for adults). Henry will pull that by the time he is 15, I promise. I’m sorry a 13 year old is making you question your own strength and possibly that of your children. BTW if you are not a competitive lifter, shut the f**k, your opinion has no merit.

[quote]Crow wrote:
Wow! For a website called Testosterone Nation I didn’t realize it was filled with such sensative people. I apologize for using the term “phenom.” I apologize for asking what others were doing at 13. I’m sorry my words made you FEEL bad. If you have a problem with hyperbole, I guess you love the supplement descriptions and testimonials on this site. Biotest is built on hyperbole. But I will point out nobody has been able to match his accomplishments. Even if you aren’t a parent of one, has other coach or trainer on this forum produced a better lifter at Henry’s age with 6 months of training. 315 at 13 is pretty damn remarkable. Hell there is a road to 405 deadlift on this forum (I’m assuming this is for adults). Henry will pull that by the time he is 15, I promise. I’m sorry a 13 year old is making you question your own strength and possibly that of your children. BTW if you are not a competitive lifter, shut the f**k, your opinion has no merit. [/quote]

That was the most backhanded apology I’ve read on this site.

Let’s get something straight, my feelings aren’t hurt. They have no reason to be. I was stronger than your stepson at a much lighter weight and the only reason why I or anyone else here brought it up is because you asked us to.

You are the one coming off as ‘sensitive’ here.

[quote]Crow wrote:
Wow! For a website called Testosterone Nation I didn’t realize it was filled with such sensative people. I apologize for using the term “phenom.” I apologize for asking what others were doing at 13. I’m sorry my words made you FEEL bad. If you have a problem with hyperbole, I guess you love the supplement descriptions and testimonials on this site. Biotest is built on hyperbole. But I will point out nobody has been able to match his accomplishments. Even if you aren’t a parent of one, has other coach or trainer on this forum produced a better lifter at Henry’s age with 6 months of training. 315 at 13 is pretty damn remarkable. Hell there is a road to 405 deadlift on this forum (I’m assuming this is for adults). Henry will pull that by the time he is 15, I promise. I’m sorry a 13 year old is making you question your own strength and possibly that of your children. BTW if you are not a competitive lifter, shut the f**k, your opinion has no merit. [/quote]

I know a lot of 13 year olds who are equally as stronger at a much healthier weight. When I was 13 I could push 135 for at least 8 reps.

But I agree that most of the people on this site are huge pussies who would struggle to deadlift 315

This is one of those parents that think their kid is simply greater than they really are. Not knocking on the kids results - good that he is lifting so early and congrats to Crow for instilling his passion for lifting in the kid. But as always, the love of a child makes them see things that may not be there, or ignore those that are. Crow, there’s nothing wrong with being happy about what your kid is doing, and while I do agree with your general assessment of what T-Nation has become, I’d simply urge you to temper your “excitement” over your kid - especially if he is ever involved in team sports.

Congrats to Crow and Henry, good effort, liked his form with the deadlift, all the best for the future in life and lifting.

Good effort from u Crow getting him into it, If i had a son/stepson i would be proud as well.

[quote]Crow wrote:
such sensative people. [/quote]

This is going to be my last post and then you all can flame away all you want. All of the negativity surrounding this thread started at the very beginning with my use of the word “phenom” in the title. Whether Henry is or isn’t, big f**king deal, its just a title. It obviously got people to view the thread, so it did it’s job.

Again (as I already started) I used the word for HIS benefit for celebration and encouragement; I don’t understand why this is so hard to get through to some of you. Yes, its hyperbole, of course it is. As I said before this whole site is built on hyperbole and self promotion. Asking “what were you doing at 13?”, was that question out of bounds?

Again, hyperbole yes; but is he truly out lifting what the majority of you were at that age, also yes. He sure as hell would have kicked my ass! I apologize about getting sensative about those down playing a 13 years old efforts. He is my stepson and sure as hope all of you would too. But I look around my gym everyday and watch adults doing partial squats with 225, struggle (if doing them at all) to deadlift 315, and never doing the olympic lifts, so when I watch a 13 years old boy pull 315 (Henry or otherwise) I think its pretty damn remarkable.

Thank you all for this wonderful weekend entertainment!

[quote]Crow wrote:
This is going to be my last post and then you all can flame away all you want. All of the negativity surrounding this thread started at the very beginning with my use of the word “phenom” in the title. Whether Henry is or isn’t, big f**king deal, its just a title. It obviously got people to view the thread, so it did it’s job.

Again (as I already started) I used the word for HIS benefit for celebration and encouragement; I don’t understand why this is so hard to get through to some of you. Yes, its hyperbole, of course it is. As I said before this whole site is built on hyperbole and self promotion. Asking “what were you doing at 13?”, was that question out of bounds?

Again, hyperbole yes; but is he truly out lifting what the majority of you were at that age, also yes. He sure as hell would have kicked my ass! I apologize about getting sensative about those down playing a 13 years old efforts. He is my stepson and sure as hope all of you would too. But I look around my gym everyday and watch adults doing partial squats with 225, struggle (if doing them at all) to deadlift 315, and never doing the olympic lifts, so when I watch a 13 years old boy pull 315 (Henry or otherwise) I think its pretty damn remarkable.

Thank you all for this wonderful weekend entertainment![/quote]

A) I Didn’t “degrade” anything.
B) You are very clearly the one who is getting worked up in this situation.
C) Why would you ask a question if you don’t want people to respond? Should we all lie about what we were doing at the same age for the benefit of your stepson?
D) Anyone with half a brain knew after reading your initial post that this kid was related to you somehow. I don’t see how that changes anything.
E) If I wasn’t encouraging at all, then I apologize. It is nice that he is starting early with good support. I didn’t do a meet until 15, and I would have liked to have had good guidance at his age.

That’s no big deal, solidkhalid can deadlift 330 for 5 reps.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
That’s no big deal, solidkhalid can deadlift 330 for 5 reps.[/quote]

No one is discrediting the kids effort and commitment.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
That’s no big deal, solidkhalid can deadlift 330 for 5 reps.[/quote]

It was such a feat that it required posting in GAL as well. I’m sure that had nothing to do with the reception he got in this forum.

Just curious, how strong was the kid when he first started lifting?

Was he generally coordinated from the start or was he weak (couldn’t bench the bar, couldn’t do a bw squat, etc.)