135lbs of Steel

Is it possible to have massive 1rm’s with this weight? Or do you NEED size? I feel like my body is being recomposed but I am not gaining weight. And yes I am seeing some great strength gains. More specifically, if I do plateau with strength, is it because of my weight?

A general rule of thumb is if you’re getting stronger but not gaining muscle, you need to eat more to fuel the growth. This should also ignite new strength gains. A bigger muscle (on you) is a stronger muscle.

You weigh 135 pounds? How tall are you? Are you trying to compete in a specific weight class?

I wonder why the strongest PLers in the world are also very large hint hint.

[quote]gone heavy wrote:
You weigh 135 pounds? How tall are you? Are you trying to compete in a specific weight class?[/quote]

I’m 5’8. And that’s just it. I know I am stronger than alot of people out there but weigh twenty pounds less than them. I wouldn’t mind gaining mass if it would really make that much of a differenece. It just SEEMS as though I can make just as good strength gains as the guy who is going for size.

will then you’ll eventually hit a plateau and need to gain size to get stronger. So eat alot now and grow. If you think your strong now, imagine what you’ll be like with more mass. Gaining size and gaining strength are not mutually exclusive.

oh. and those 155 Lbers aren’t strong.

What is your definition of a massive number?

[quote]RWElder0 wrote:
What is your definition of a massive number?[/quote]

Deadlift-205 kg

Squat-280 lb

MASSIVE!!!

http://www.bubenimhayatim.com/pics/naim.jpg

This is Pocket Hercules, Nail Suleymanoglu. He was about your weight. He was also… over half a foot shorter. Olympic lifters are famous for being pound for pound some of the greatest and strongest athletes out there.

135 is not an ideal bodyweight for your height and leverages, IMO.

[quote]Stength4life wrote:
RWElder0 wrote:

Deadlift-205 kg

Squat-280 lb

MASSIVE!!!
[/quote]

Why did you use kg for the deadlift and pounds for the squat? Not to mention with a 280 pound squat being massive, you’re officially a troll.

gone heavy wrote:
You weigh 135 pounds? How tall are you? Are you trying to compete in a specific weight class?

I’m 5’8. And that’s just it. I know I am stronger than alot of people out there but weigh twenty pounds less than them. I wouldn’t mind gaining mass if it would really make that much of a differenece. It just SEEMS as though I can make just as good strength gains as the guy who is going for size.[/quote]

Make a choice: become an aspiring- :

-powerlifter (Max strength on certain lifts, becomes huge especially later on as you’ll need more size to get stronger at some point and you’re bulking for most of the year, but also more wear on the joints/tendons as you are forced to lock out in competition and will have to include lockout work in training.)

-bodybuilder (Fastest size gains unless you’re afraid of bulking and do it all wrong, gets very strong for reps if you do things right but isn’t used to doing 1-3 rep stuff)

-O-Lifter, well, you know the deal, but you’re likely not going to get all that big (in comparison), imo a great thing for girls if they’re afraid of becoming all “bulky” (yeah, as if the average drug free person could get “too large” muscle-wise, and even assisted it’s rather difficult if not impossible for the majority)

-Fitness dude or whatever it’s called* :
Well… They’re weak, largely stupid, very small (or very fat)…
But can perform better on wobble boards than any other type of lifter and are among the small group of people that can pronounce words with 20+ vowels fluently.

They also sport invisible signs on their heads reading “failure”.

*Near photographic memory of 900 gigabytes of useless articles and studies on diabetic rats included in package.

Sure it’s all simplified, but at your weight complicating stuff should be considered a crime anyway.

BB’ers and Pl’ers often make forays into each other’s realms, too.

And it’s not as if you’d ever have to compete if you don’t want to.

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:

This is Pocket Hercules, Nail Suleymanoglu. He was about your weight. He was also… over half a foot shorter. Olympic lifters are famous for being pound for pound some of the greatest and strongest athletes out there.

135 is not an ideal bodyweight for your height and leverages, IMO.[/quote]

Mass it is then. Because you are not the first to say this

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Stength4life wrote:
RWElder0 wrote:

Deadlift-205 kg

Squat-280 lb

MASSIVE!!!

Why did you use kg for the deadlift and pounds for the squat? Not to mention with a 280 pound squat being massive, you’re officially a troll.[/quote]

Okay, then you are Bob saget.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Stength4life wrote:
gone heavy wrote:

I’m 5’8. And that’s just it. I know I am stronger than alot of people out there but weigh twenty pounds less than them. I wouldn’t mind gaining mass if it would really make that much of a differenece. It just SEEMS as though I can make just as good strength gains as the guy who is going for size.

-powerlifter (Max strength on certain lifts, becomes huge especially later on as you’ll need more size to get stronger at some point and you’re bulking for most of the year, but also more wear on the joints/tendons as you are forced to lock out in competition and will have to include lockout work in training.)

-bodybuilder (Fastest size gains unless you’re afraid of bulking and do it all wrong, gets very strong for reps if you do things right but isn’t used to doing 1-3 rep stuff)

-O-Lifter, well, you know the deal, but you’re likely not going to get all that big (in comparison), imo a great thing for girls if they’re afraid of becoming all “bulky” (yeah, as if the average drug free person could get “too large” muscle-wise, and even assisted it’s rather difficult if not impossible for the majority)

But can perform better on wobble boards than any other type of lifter and are among the small group of people that can pronounce words with 20+ vowels fluently.

*Near photographic memory of 900 gigabytes of useless articles and studies on diabetic rats included in package.

Sure it’s all simplified, but at your weight complicating stuff should be considered a crime anyway.

And it’s not as if you’d ever have to compete if you don’t want to.[/quote]

What’s an O lifter? If I had to choose I would go for Bodybuilding. Bodybuilders tend to have this attitude that I envy. It’s fearless. Plus I have never met any Powerlifters

Not to put anyone down, because to each their own, but my experience with BB’ers and their logic is that they become BB’ers because they were always that small dude in school or whatever. I wouldn’t call a Napoleon complex fearlessness.

[quote]Kulturkampf wrote:

What’s an O lifter? If I had to choose I would go for Bodybuilding. Bodybuilders tend to have this attitude that I envy. It’s fearless. Plus I have never met any Powerlifters

Not to put anyone down, because to each their own, but my experience with BB’ers and their logic is that they become BB’ers because they were always that small dude in school or whatever. I wouldn’t call a Napoleon complex fearlessness.[/quote]

HEre we go

Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Stength4life wrote:
gone heavy wrote:

And it’s not as if you’d ever have to compete if you don’t want to.

[/quote]

If you do enough assistance work in the hypertrophy zone as a powerlifter and eat enough, you’ll get plenty big. (but that’s not what your goal as a pl’er should be)

For bodybuilding I’m assuming you follow either the standard bb approach (similar to what Professor X does, or just slightly different) or something like DC training (once you’ve exhausted other means).
So you’d be concentrating on getting stronger for reps in both cases, which is ultimately what bb training is about.

O-lifting means olympic weight lifting. btw.

Oh and it’s really better to pick one and follow that approach for a couple of years, unless you don’t care about getting serious results as fast as possible.

There is a great post from Dante about people training this way and that way for 10-15 years and still looking like they either don’t lift or just like beginning trainees.

In their 30’s and 40’s, those are the ones that have wasted their easy-gaining years and a whole lot of their lifetime in general.

Sucks to be them.

And my experience with anyone who has achieved more than most other people in his age group - is that he/she has some sort of perceived shortcoming that he/she wants to compensate for.

Whats wrong with Napoleon, he did become famous and powerful and almost comnsquered a significant chunk of planet space/ maybe its better to be the slacker who achieves next to nothing but avoids being labeled as suffering from “napoleon complex”

[quote]Kulturkampf wrote:
Not to put anyone down, because to each their own, but my experience with BB’ers and their logic is that they become BB’ers because they were always that small dude in school or whatever. I wouldn’t call a Napoleon complex fearlessness.[/quote]

Nikiforos wrote:

135 is not an ideal bodyweight for your height and leverages, IMO.

Mass it is then. Because you are not the first to say this

[/quote]

Glad you saw the light.
You can focus more on low-rep strength later on anyway, the transition from bbing to powerlifting and vice versa is usually not overly difficult as long as you’ve made significant progress in either field before trying out the other (i.e. you have a great base already, know your body…)

Kulturkampf wrote:

Not to put anyone down, because to each their own, but my experience with BB’ers and their logic is that they become BB’ers because they were always that small dude in school or whatever. I wouldn’t call a Napoleon complex fearlessness.

HEre we go

[/quote]

Short for Olympic lifter.

You do not HAVE to choose anything. You sound like a newbie. Why not work on building size AND strength for a while. Then, YOU can decide what you want to pursue instead of emulating those whose attitudes you presume are “fearless”.

BTW, yoo spelt strength rong en yore atavar! 8^P