T Nation

13 Year Old Girl MMA

[quote]ska7e wrote:
I wonder if it hurts to get punched in the boob.[/quote]

Ask PGA, he’ll tell you.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
The whole thing was pathetic.
[/quote]

Another person who, at 13-year old, was a Golden Gloves fighter. Awesome.

[quote]Get this wrote:
I like it how the Sherdog jackoff talks about how MMA was obscure 2 years ago. Try 1993 or the bad years of UFC 20-30. [/quote]

The UFC really took off when it ot on Spike TV a couple years ago.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

[/quote]

What I was doing at 13 has nothing to do with the fact that I can recognize that the fight was phony. The big girl didn’t try.

I know you have been bragging on this site about your practicing MMA but if you don’t recognze that the fight was phony then I can only suggest you get a new hobby.

I would have pounded that little girl into paste when I was 13 years old.

Zap Branigan wrote:

[/quote]

I wasnt a Golden Gloves fighter, but I did beat up Tank Abbott in a bar fight when I was 13, does that qualify me to comment?

How do we know she’s 13? I don’t believe the sherdog story. I mean fuck it’s from sherdog the ultimate troll bullshit posting site in this and all parallel universes.

I find it hard to believe an mma match with a minor fighting an adult wouldn’t cause an uproar. Especially considering it’s not legal in most states. I’ll assume it was in the US?

The age of the other girl 29? How do we know? If so who cares she could be a beginner or just no good.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I know you have been bragging on this site about your practicing MMA [/quote]

Um, no. I do not do MMA. I do not intend on doing MMA. I have never said otherwise.

I can recognize skill. The kid could move quickly. She had good technique. If you can’t see that, then you don’t know what to look for in a fighter.

[quote]Irish Muscle wrote:
yes but how much can she squat[/quote]

yeah, but is it functional strength? the big question, is it “atg”, because otherwise, it is for sissys and anyone can do it.

I can recognize skill. The kid could move quickly. She had good technique. If you can’t see that, then you don’t know what to look for in a fighter.[/quote]

Big deal, go to any big BJJ or MMA gym in the country and you’ll find quite a few skilled teenagers. This girl might be good, but who really cares, anyone can look pretty good with a year or two training.

Go find any blue belt in BJJ from a good school, took one year to get there, they are really impressive usually against people that dont know what to defend against.

News flash:
13 yr old girl <> special olympics

13 yr old girls are capable of attaining martial arts skills given they are trained. So what, she beat up two obviously inept opponents. I saw a newbie 120# girl knock out a 200# guy with an RNC on accident because she didnt know when to let go. Big deal. I dont think she deserves ninja status, just like this girl doesnt either.

Marshallman wrote:
This is silly. The adult was going real soft on her, as any adult would if they were “fighting” a child. I don’t see what’s so impressive about this girl.

because when you were thirteen, you were so much more impressive? [/quote]

She’s impressive, just not as much as everyone is saying.

Seriously, if you got in the ring at 29 and a 13 year old walked on, you’d have a tough time going full power.

She’s definetly got skill, and she’ll be one hell of a fighter one day. But I wouldn’t put to much stock in her fighting with someone that much older.

I love how i posted about this girl months ago and no one believe me and thought that it was "barbaric’ or some shit lol

thats my best friend kyle olsen (fights in KOTC) in the black tank top reffing the match.

I think it’s pretty cool that kids can have MMA matches. Nothing in that fight looke particularly dangerous, and it looked a hell of alot more fun than what passes for taekwondo these days.

On a similar note, I know 3 brothers who all started boxing about the same time they started walking. They’ve been training and continue to train their entire lives. There are tons of junior boxing leagues and atheletic programs.

More and More ground fighting / grappling schools are offering classes for children (4+ years of age) and teens. Like wise Muy Thai has a history of training kids from a young age, and I don’t hear anyone bitching about that.

I think civilized folk are just getting too damn agitated about bumps, bruises and scrapes, as if nobody was ever supposed to get hurt or injured while out having fun.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Marshallman wrote:
This is silly. The adult was going real soft on her, as any adult would if they were “fighting” a child. I don’t see what’s so impressive about this girl.

because when you were thirteen, you were so much more impressive?

She’s impressive, just not as much as everyone is saying.

Seriously, if you got in the ring at 29 and a 13 year old walked on, you’d have a tough time going full power.

She’s definetly got skill, and she’ll be one hell of a fighter one day. But I wouldn’t put to much stock in her fighting with someone that much older. [/quote]

But that’s not an excuse for losing.

I’ve sparred with young kids before and I did feel like a bit of a bully. But I was never in danger of being beaten because I was bigger and more skillful. I still managed to finish the job with a few flying stomps and soccer kicks.

[quote]AdamC wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Marshallman wrote:

I still managed to finish the job with a few flying stomps and soccer kicks.

[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

[quote]AdamC wrote:

I’ve sparred with young kids before and I did feel like a bit of a bully. But I was never in danger of being beaten because I was bigger and more skillful. I still managed to finish the job with a few flying stomps and soccer kicks.

[/quote]

That is how to do it.

[quote]jjoseph_x wrote:
Marshallman wrote:

You’re probably not looking too hard.

She’s very quick and very good with armbars… better than a lot of current UFC fighters.

There are plenty of fights were there are a number of opportunities to lock-in an armbar or a kimura, but the fighters never realize it.

Of course the 29-year old whom she faced wasn’t very good (she would have had a tremdous weight and streng advantage… taking down the 13-year old shouldn’t have been that hard).
[/quote]

Your last paragraph basically explains what I was talking about. Of course it shouldn’t have been hard for the adult to take the kid down. Obviously it was a phony contest. I’m sure the kid is very good for her age and the “fight” was designed as an exhibition to show of her skills. What I find silly, as Mr. Branigan pointed out, is that some are taking this seriously. She did not, and could not, beat an adult.

To Zap: I think you were confusing CaliforniaLaw with KombatAthlete. They both think they’re intellectually superior to all mankind, so I can understand the confusion.

As for the girl, the first fight seemed real enough, and judging by that one alone it is clear that she is very talented. She does seem to spaz out too much though (as in overly exerting herself at the wrong moments), a fault I’m sure she will learn to correct with time.

Isn’t that fight pretty much lose-lose for the adult?

If you win, well it’s expected anyway, and you look like a bully for beating a child.

If you lose, then you’re a pussy for letting a child beat you.

If it’s only sparring, then there’s no real interest in the outcome.

I’ll take fights between equally matched opponents over this any day.