T Nation

1200 Total for the 198 Class (beginner)

I'm somewhat new to powerlifting (6-12 months) and was wondering how these lifts would stack up in a PL competition. I was also curious as to what (in your opinion) would be my strongest/weakest lifts! Any and all feedback would be appreciated!

Squat: 425
Bench Pres: 300
Deadlift: 475

[quote]JackMulkey94k wrote:
I’m somewhat new to powerlifting (6-12 months) and was wondering how these lifts would stack up in a PL competition. I was also curious as to what (in your opinion) would be my strongest/weakest lifts! Any and all feedback would be appreciated!

Squat: 425
Bench Pres: 300
Deadlift: 475[/quote]

Like in any competition, that depends on who is there.

For what its worth, squat and DL are very close to my first competition third attempts; bench is higher by about 50 lbs than my current max, all in the 198s. Certainly strong enough to get up on the platform and pretty decent for a first meet all things considered. I know of guys who’ve put up more at that weight for a first meet and who’ve put up less too. It doesn’t matter. The main thing is going out there and doing it. It’s a blast.

As to which seems to be your strongest lift, they seem very balanced. Certainly way more balanced than mine (currently 474/250/529 at about 205). Do you squat wrapped or unwrapped? If unwrapped, I’d say your squat may be your strongest, or your bench. Also, what were they 6/12 months ago? IMO your strongest would probably progress the fastest at first.

You’re not likely to win or anything, but those are respectable lifts. I’ve seen much, much worse, from higher weight classes. I don’t think any of the lifts are really out of balance, so to speak. You clearly train them all. And it doesn’t matter where your pounds come from. A total is a total. Every pound on every lift counts.

Do a meet!!!

Thanks for the info! To answer your question, I squat unwrapped and my squat has increased quite rapidly compared to my deadlift and bench. However, I feel that this is also because I have recently become interested in Olympic Lifting and prioritized squats (85%+ loads 5x a week) over bench (reduced to 1x a week) and deadlift (maybe 1x every 2-3 weeks due to frequency of pulling in oly lifts).

Those numbers are a lot better than my lifts were. My first full meet my 3rd attempts were 370/255/415. I was also 17 at the time and weighed in at 230. Go for it. You won’t regret it!