T Nation

12 Weeks Out with 12lbs to Lose

Alright guys so this is my first show I’m going to be competing in. I have 12 weeks to loose 12 lbs. I weighed in today at 189. For men’s Classic Physique Division B 5’7 up to 5’8 I need to come in at 177.

Do you guys think this is enough time to make weight? I’ve never tried to loose weight like this before nor have I ever competed. Just thought I’de get some feedback as I really would like to make this happen. I will post my 5 poses when I can get some time to have my girl shoot them for me so you have an idea where I’m sitting. But for now I’m just worried I’m not going to be able to loose the weight in time. And if I do, will it be healthy?

12 lbs in 12 weeks is entirely doable and not even close to some of the unhealthy weekly goals some competitors try to hit. How’re you looking this far out?

S

Honesty I feel a little bloated. I have been over doing my carbs this weekend. I’m going to start cardio this week. Most likely 2-3 times a week for 30min sessions. My diet will be pretty consistent and boring as I slowly start dropping things in the coming weeks. Also think I will be getting a scale for more precise measurements in food.
An example day of food for me consists of

1 piece of fruit
3 egg whites 2 whole
Protein shake
Granola and yogurt

Tuna packet
Avocado
Protein shake

Chicken breast lightly seasoned
1 cup broccoli
1/4 cup brown rice

Sweet potato
Pre workout shake
Apple

Post workout shake
3 pieces (small) Tilapia
1 cup broccoli

Chicken breast
Avocado

Also I am terrible at posing so please forgive me as it is going to be a learning curve for me. I can’t seem to get my back poses down at all.

Fasted Cardio in the morning, drinking plenty of BCAAS and general calorie restriction should do the trick just make sure you still get in a good ammount of protein and healthy fats as they will keep your hormone levels normal when you are undergoing bodyfat reduction. Also water depleting before the show and a few weeks of carb cycling will get you in the sweet spot. Last but not least Do HIT maybe 2-3 times a week 20 minutes a piece wheather its hill sprints box jumps or battle ropes there are plenty of fun ways to HIT.

Thanks for the tips. I typically do carbs mostly on the weekends. M-F is low carbs just enough pre and post workout. But then weekends I typically blow out with pasta and pizza =) something I may have to change up the closer I get. That’s my “carb cycling” unless you can recommend a better way to do it. My macro break down currently is 200g Carbs 300g protein and 60 grams fat. During the week I may change up to less carbs more healthy fat. But for me this has helped me keep decent size. While trying to loose weight. I use my fitness pal to kind of keep me on track and in order to loose a lb a week I’m eating around 2750 cal ED depending on training up to 3400. As for HIT I like to do a kettle bell, Stair master, Row machine circuit that lasts about 15-20 min. Really kicks my ass. I’ll have to find some other fun things to do as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated

decent physique, mate. Super jealous of your delts.

Gotta work on those wheels though! It’s not that they’re bad, just that they lag behind your upper body

Thanks yogi. I do agree legs are my week point. I try to train them 2-3 times a week. 1 compound heavy day, legs only. Then I detail both hamstrings and quads at the end of other lift days. I think once I loose a little weight and BF% the detail should start to come through. At this point it’s going to be hard to put on more size. It’s mostly detailing and sculpting from here. What would you do to even things out if you were in my shoes?

I have a hard time developing my outer sweep. My tear drops build pretty quick. Again I think once I go below 10% all heads should be pretty visable

I wish I knew, mate. I have the exact same problem. My teardrop grows just fine but I can’t get much sweep at all.

How do you squat? Apparently you can vary your squat stance to emphasise outer sweep over teardrop but I only have the mobility to do a narrow stance front squat so it’s not something I’ve ever been able to try.

Typically wide stance on a barbell back squat. But lately I’ve been doing narrow stance hack squat machine and narrow stance toes out smith squat. I don’t have the mobility to go very narrow on a free weight back squat. Soo. I’ve been trying a variety of things. My glutes develop very quick as well I have somewhat of a sway back. I’ll keep up the training and keep some progress photos coming as the weeks get closer.

Twelve weeks of poseing practise, cool.

I would stay the course, follow your program, and enjoy your first show.

I really wouldn’t worry about lagging body parts at this stage. Something to work on for the second show.

So I’m down to 187 by then end of this week (12weeks out) that leaves me with 10lbs to loose in 11 weeks. I’de like to get myself down to 181-182 as soon as I can that way i can see what I’m working with. And go from there. If I can get to 181 by 5 weeks out. That will give me optimal time to put on the finishing touches. Now here’s where I need advise. Since I’ve never done this before. I don’t want to start killing myself with cardio too soon and sacrifice muscle mass. But I don’t want to come to 5 weeks out with 10lbs to loose. At what point do I start doing fasted cardio and 60min cardio sessions only. This week I’ve done 3 HIIT sessions at the end of my workouts. And yesterday was strictly abs and 30 min cardio 10min Row/ 10min incline treadmill / 10min bike. Does anybody have good advise to offer? To include time frame (weeks out) to start doing what type of cardio, how much? I’ve heard of people who are already at or around target weight not starting their conditioning till about 4-5 weeks out. But since I’m cutting 11 lbs I need to come about this a little differently.

All advice appreciated

My general recommendations based on your diet:

• Drop the fruit, dairy and packed tuna.

• Buy whole tuna or similar fish.

• Would need more detail but it sounds like the lean protein portions might be small. Increase these all around.

12 weeks is plenty of time, just get on it!

Taking off some size around my mid section. This week I hit 45 min fasted cardio and ab sessions Monday Wednsday and tomorrow (Friday) haven’t lost as much weight as I was hoping but I’m not dying anyways. Fasted morning weight after the steam room Wendsday was 186.5 yet I fill out to 189-190 when I weigh myself at the gym for my weight training.

My diet has been as solid as it can be. I’ve incorporated a lot of fish like myosin suggested.

Tuna steaks, salmon, tilapia.

I’ve also had some lean ground beef. Filets, and little chicken this week.

Carbs have been quinoa, sweet potatoes, and lightly salted air popped popcorn as a snack.

Fats have been Avocados, And Almonds

As far as training goes I’ve decided to really incorporate some old school training methods.

I find it odd that from the few classic physique show results I’ve seen it looks like physique competitors bulking up a little bit and that’s about it. I haven’t seen a real classic physique hit the stage, with the exception of builders competition thread! Man that guy had a classic physique.

Anywho. As for training. Along side my usual lifts I’ve been doing heavy pull overs, vacuums, and wide grip sternum pull-ups every day. I would like to get as close as possible to a young frank Zane look as I can. I don’t want to look like I could step on stage for a physique show or bodybuilding show. They made this new class for a reason. I’de like take advantage of that and produce a nice old school look

Sadik Hadzovic along with artemus dolgin have really been pulling that off lately

Dunno if you’ve seen this yet mate but this is the dude that won the first NPC Classic Bodybuilding title.

I have to say, I balked a little when they brought out the division, but frankly, if this is the look that is ideal for the division then hell yeah! Balanced physique, tiny waist. Dude looks incredible.

I completely agree yogi. Very nice physiques. Nice wide shoulders, thin waist. A nice X figure if you will. But where are the ridiculous vacuums and huge rib cages. Some of the staple aspects of the classic physique have really yet to emerge. This is all so new that we are barely scratching the surface. I think by 2017 we should be seeing some really nice classic division competitors… Timms (the guy you posted a photo of) did come in very conditioned and well put together. I will agree. But I didn’t see a vacuum from him -_-

Yeah I didn’t see the show but the feedback I saw on another forum is that the posing’s not there yet. No one’s really sure what they’re doing.

Like you said though I’m sure the division’s just finding its feet and we’ll see an improvement in things like that