12 Weeks Away

You aren’t crappy mate, and hopefully no-one has told you that. Height and reach are advantages that should always be made to count. Sounds like you’ve got that sussed with your strategy. Great that you’ve been so receptive to criticism, and have made such an effort to adapt your game. It will pay on fight night, of that you can be sure.

Best of luck with the last month. If I had any advice based on my time competing, it would be to not try to learn too many new things in the weeks before a fight, because under pressure, they can often be unnatural, or require too much thought time to execute them. Drill all the things you’ve been practising in the run in til you wake up dreaming about them. All the best mate, and let us know how you get on.

Good luck, man! Wish you the best in your upcoming fight.

I repeat londonboxers sentiments.
If you want to improve your boxing, train with pro boxers. If you want to kick like a demon, train with muay Thai purists. If you want to kick fast and accurate, train with tae kwon do stylists. If you want to wrestle like Gable, train with pro/olympic wrestlers.
Then find a coach who is open minded enough to accept that this is what it takes to be the best and can unite your skills and bring it all together.
The more you practise, learn footwork of the various arts, learn body position of them all and commit to each art appropriately, the more your cns will program itself to respond accordingly.
You cannot throw slapstick techniques together and call it mma just because you combined them.

That’s why their are only a handful of St Pierre, Silva, Aldo types… they all commit to each art and whatever it is they perform in the ring, they look like they belong to that art.
Eg, I squirm when I hear idiots call Koshcheck a striker or non wrestlers grapplers etc. He has the ugliest technique, the most hideous footwork and non existent weight transfer. Sad thing is he believed the hype and paid for it. Sure, he has balls enough to throw a strike when the opponent is otherwise hesitant and his risk pays off but just because it pays off, doesn’t make that technique (or lack of a better word) his bread and butter.

Hands drop on the way back. They return in a lazy fashion. You need more muscle work on your antagonist muscles, ie back and shoulders. Strengthen them with loads of lactic acid threshold explosive techniqe training and then some. This will help with conditioning and relaxation of the antagonists and obviously your return to guard. body position and weight transfer are issues. You’re punching with your muscles not your body and are pulling away your technique before you even complete it. This shows mostly on your uppercut and your mechanics are also out for this punch. You lean off and away and are pulling the punch before it is completed. Eventually, you will get stung with a big overhand right for doing it or even just a straight stiff jab or cross. You’re already way off balance for it and your pad holder if he is also a trainer is wasting your time.

Go back to basics and practise rudimentary footwork, toe to toe style boxing. If your feet are in the right place you can avoid most attacks without any attempt to block/cover up.

Keep at it, know that knowledge never ends in this sport and just when you think you’re on top of things, you will encounter an opponent or sparring partner who will wake you up. But definitely look for a boxing coach and other relevant ones if you need them.

That’s just a quick observation. Kids are going mad, gotta head off

Last week or so? Any update?

Hmmm lets see, I did work with a local legend last night on my standup, was really awesome. He did not like my stance either LOL he also worked on keeping me loose so my recoil was better, kinda what humble was telling me. Really worked on so basic things that I can never stop improving on.

been staying in my ground game. Royce Gracie will be here Monday for a Seminar and Alan Belcher is here today but I can’t make that one because of work… Focusing more on cardio and I do have somewhat of a gameplan now.

This is my opponent. he is in the white shorts:

Same white shorts here.

Good use of angles = very quick KO for you. The guy comes straight forward every time - chin up, straight lines, loopy punches. If you have drilled your boxing hard, this could be a quick night for you. Best of luck mate, and let us know how it goes.

Nice. I know it is getting close to the fight but as London said, angles will get you this one nailed.
The guy comes forward. His punches aren’t that loopy but his recoil to guard is just not there.

Take a look at his first punch and where it returns as he is throwing the second punch. I froze the shot so you can see clearly.

Ask your boxing coach you worked with about this and I bet he will say the same thing. Guard up, chin down basic step off to the right, the tiniest of foot work adjustment and it puts you in instant prime position to snap a stiff right straight into him. Don’t hook, don’t overhand, don’t loop it. Stiff straight cross as you step off to the right and you will catch him immediately and stun him and be able to throw two or three more punches and have his lights out.

Drill this basic two step counter like your life depended on it and your central nervous system will respond. He wont change and will try and come out the same way. Just have that ready and you will catch him every time.

This is a decent video to watch. I’d avoid the first two counter techniques he demonstrates and focus on the third one, which is the right cross counter but definitely exagerate the footwork a fraction more with a step off to the right.

The rest of the video is good too. If you practice this one technique only from now until the fight for your boxing, ie stepping off to the right continuously, you won’t fall into his range and get clipped. I have no clue why mma guys continue to circle left as opposed to circling right. Practise that with your partner until your calves are swole staying up on your toes the whole time.

Here’s the video and the picture is also attached above so you can visualise this over and over.

[quote]Ranzo wrote:
Hmmm lets see, I did work with a local legend last night on my standup, was really awesome. He did not like my stance either LOL he also worked on keeping me loose so my recoil was better, kinda what humble was telling me. Really worked on so basic things that I can never stop improving on.

been staying in my ground game. Royce Gracie will be here Monday for a Seminar and Alan Belcher is here today but I can’t make that one because of work… Focusing more on cardio and I do have somewhat of a gameplan now.

This is my opponent. he is in the white shorts:

Same white shorts here.

[/quote]

The previous posters are spot on with the angle comments. This guy drives straigh forward, drops his hands, and leaves his chin out there. I’d let him drive in with some punches, and angle to the side with a jab. His punches, when he drives in like that, lose all power. Mainly because he isnt charging in correctly. He also leans back as he’s throwing the punches in the first video. It would be very easy to catch him with a quick jab and keep driving back to knock him on his ass. Bringing me to my next point.

His ground game is pretty non existent. He has no take down defense at all. I only skimmed through the second video, but every take down i saw, he didn’t even see it coming, and never once tried to stop the take down. Also, I noticed, once he got on his back, he was absolutely no threat. He doesn’t have anything off of his back.

If you have been doing all the take downs you said you’ve been practicing, this could be an easy win for you.

My game plan would be : angles, angles, angles, look for the take down, finish him there. At the very least rank up point for controlling him on the ground.

Good luck man!

Interesting and useful posts from the guys above. A couple of points where my opinion on strategy changes a little though:

Humble suggests you step off too the right and throw a counter right. This is a good idea for a number of reasons: 1. It is an easy technique 2. It is devastatingly effective 3. This guy won’t avoid it.

However, it could be more complicated than that. The guy you are facing always starts with a lot of punches in quick succession. He has quick-ish hands, and with little gloves, it can still be effective. The potential problem is that your guy often throws his first punch when he is out of range. If you slip to the right immediately, as a preset gameplan, you run the risk that the guy is not in good range. I still think the slip right, overhand/straight right, followed by lots of straight punches, is still the best and quickest way to knock this guy out. You just need to be aware that your opponents weaknesses could actually cause you problems, which is about the most frustrating thing in the world.

Personally, I disagree slightly with Justin on the takedown point. I would not be looking for it early on (if that is indeed what Justin is suggesting). I would feel confident knowing that as soon as the fight is on the ground, this guy is screwed. However, I would avoid that, because the fight will go on for a lot longer if it goes to the floor, and the longer these things go on, the more time there is for uncertainties. Personally, I would see this fight as a great opportunity to live test my striking abilities, and some of the changes to my boxing style i’d worked on. The confidence this will give you going forward would be more valuable in my opinion than a drawn out win on the ground. This should be a great learning opportunity for you, and a chance to take your game up a level.

Wow, Thanks for all the advice. All of these things are the same as what we have been discussing over the last few weeks. Been drilling all of that too. I am thinking I will stand and strike with this guy but if I get in trouble I can always take it to the mat.

It feels awesome having you guys in my corner on this. I have really trained hard for this one and I have learned a ton in the last few months especially. It has been a struggle for me to stay focused and learn the techniques and push my body to the limits. It has been one of those times where the more you learn you realize you really don’t know jack shit and you have to accept that it is not easy.

I will definately be drilling these things and working angles all next week. Going to do some mountain biking today for cardio then I will be in the gym monday to drill and doing the Royce seminar. Tuesday Wed. Thursday drilling, shadowboxing and working foot movement and drills for the ground as well with lots of cardio. I still have to loose 7-8 pounds for the weigh in but a few hours in the sauna should handle that on Friday.

I will let you guys know how it worked out and post the video when I get it.

[quote]LondonBoxer123 wrote:
I

Personally, I disagree slightly with Justin on the takedown point. I would not be looking for it early on (if that is indeed what Justin is suggesting). I would feel confident knowing that as soon as the fight is on the ground, this guy is screwed. However, I would avoid that, because the fight will go on for a lot longer if it goes to the floor, and the longer these things go on, the more time there is for uncertainties. Personally, I would see this fight as a great opportunity to live test my striking abilities, and some of the changes to my boxing style i’d worked on. The confidence this will give you going forward would be more valuable in my opinion than a drawn out win on the ground. This should be a great learning opportunity for you, and a chance to take your game up a level. [/quote]

I see what you are saying. The faster it’s over, the better. But HOW this ends quickly, really depends on if Ranzo is more comfortable striking or more comfortable with his jits. I don’t really know much about Ranzo’s style.

Personally, I love to strike,I would also be looking to stand up with him for as long as possible. I would only go to the ground if I have too.

That being said, I also look to finish it just as quickly on the ground as I would standing up. I’m not sure what the rules of the organization you are fighting in ( ive seen some amateur events where they could strike on the ground but not to the head, just body shots. ) but I would always go into the fight looking for the knockout, weather its a standing KO, or you ground and pound him.

I was not suggesting you take him down and hold him there unproductively. I just noticed that he looks like a fish flopping around when he’s stuck on his back. If i couldnt get a quick submission, I’d go straight to the ground and pound.

But definitely look to exploit his stand up mistakes first.

[quote]justinpalmz wrote:

[quote]LondonBoxer123 wrote:
I

Personally, I disagree slightly with Justin on the takedown point. I would not be looking for it early on (if that is indeed what Justin is suggesting). I would feel confident knowing that as soon as the fight is on the ground, this guy is screwed. However, I would avoid that, because the fight will go on for a lot longer if it goes to the floor, and the longer these things go on, the more time there is for uncertainties. Personally, I would see this fight as a great opportunity to live test my striking abilities, and some of the changes to my boxing style i’d worked on. The confidence this will give you going forward would be more valuable in my opinion than a drawn out win on the ground. This should be a great learning opportunity for you, and a chance to take your game up a level. [/quote]

I see what you are saying. The faster it’s over, the better. But HOW this ends quickly, really depends on if Ranzo is more comfortable striking or more comfortable with his jits. I don’t really know much about Ranzo’s style.

Personally, I love to strike,I would also be looking to stand up with him for as long as possible. I would only go to the ground if I have too.

That being said, I also look to finish it just as quickly on the ground as I would standing up. I’m not sure what the rules of the organization you are fighting in ( ive seen some amateur events where they could strike on the ground but not to the head, just body shots. ) but I would always go into the fight looking for the knockout, weather its a standing KO, or you ground and pound him.

I was not suggesting you take him down and hold him there unproductively. I just noticed that he looks like a fish flopping around when he’s stuck on his back. If i couldnt get a quick submission, I’d go straight to the ground and pound.

But definitely look to exploit his stand up mistakes first.

[/quote]

Gotcha. My lack of knowledge about MMA probably made your post less clear than it should have been. If Ranzo has a great ground game, then that may well be an equally sensible option. Going off the amount of time he seems to have spent practising his stand up game, it would be fantastic for his development as a fighter if he tried to put that special focus into practise in the octagon. As you point out Justin, the guy looks way out of his depth on the floor. Ranzo would probably not learn much from taking him down and tapping his ass, or whatever the ‘in’ expression in the aggressive cuddling community is.

It’s also very comforting, as you point out, for Ranzo to know that if, for whatever reason, the striking wasn’t going to plan, he could take the guy down and still get the win. It would be nice to see him go for the less comfortable win though, as guys who force themselves to work on their weaknesses like that, outside the comfort of sparring, tend to go far, in my experience.

Well guys I am definatley a Striker. I used to be very claustrophobic on the ground and hated it. I moved to my current school originally one night a week to work on ground but that turned into a cluster fuck with my other school so I quit and just stay at my new Gym. I have devoted a lot of the last year to ground. As a result my striking has became a bit sloppy but I have tightened it up considerably. My mind works best as a stand and bang your face in guy but It would be nice to get a submission since we are a Gracie backed school even though I could give fuck all about it. I hate gi Jiu Jitsu(pajama fighting) and I commonly refer to them as Jiu Jitsu fags…LOL I have gained a respect for the ways though as you can certainly get messed up if you put an arm or something in the wrong place for sure.

This pic is my first fight KO and got fight of the year.

Ah, ok, got the picture now. To be honest mate, it looks like you can take this guy any way you like. If you think you need the boost to your ground game from a submission, then that’s what you should shoot for. A fight should be no different to sparring, in that you should have it in your head that there are things you want to achieve, that will mark your evolution as a fighter. These things might be tiny, like deciding you are going to catch then slip and counter when you’re double jabbed at. Or they might be bigger things, like I am going to use this guy to test how my counter punching has come on, etc etc. You will have a good idea now of what you want to achieve, and all the things you can take from this fight, irrespective of the result.

A guy like this, is the perfect opponent to use to test aspects of your game. From what you have posted of him and you, he is not good enough to hang with you, as a striker or as a grappler. That confidence should allow you the freedom to try a few new things, that might put you in more danger, but allow you to come on as a fighter.

None of this should be seen as an endorsement of getting complacent, obviously.

Ranzo said,

" has been one of those times where the more you learn you realize you really don’t know jack shit and you have to accept that it is not easy".

Quoted for absolute Truth: In my opinion, once this is simple truth is realized, then you are truely going to advance in your skill and professionalism

Good luck next weekend!

SPar Spar Spar. Way better for your cardio than the biking. Only if you must break up the monotony or are bored, go for a bit of a break on the bike but don’t use it for cardio. The best cardio is applied and sport specific. You can’t get any more specific than fighting for fighting. It’s not so much the cardio aspect you need to train or we all need to train rather.

But it is the relaxation aspect. The more you spar, the less tense you get in there. The more your eyes catch on to subtleties, the more your body can etch neural responses, the more you learn to control adrenaline, the more, the more, the more. You can be a demon on the bag, on the bike and climbing mountains and have a heart the size of an elephants but if you get clocked on the chin, it all flies out the window.

Trust me never let any cardio shadow the most important cardio of all and that is fighting. Even if you have to lighten the load on some days, it will still be more effective but try and pad up and spar as hard as possible and find guys who don’t give a shit about you and won’t respect you or be too kind on you. It will bring out the mongrel in you and also keep you sharper.

Unfortunately nice guy shit is for after the fight, not before or during. Stay sharp brother, train specifics and you will have an edge and won’t need anywhere near as much cardio training as you think you need.

Well I went to the Seminar last night. Got there early in hopes of doing some shadowboxing and padwork but that was not an option with Royce there. The place was full of Parents, onlookers and the adults waiting for the next seminar. So that sucked and I did not really want to be in there 100%. Long story short though I put on the Gi and warmed up a bit. Did the class and worked on the techniques he was teaching and then later he lined all the white belts up and paired us.

We rolled for about 10 minutes and if you tapped then you were out. We kept switching partners I rolled with three different guys from a normal white to a 4 stripe white and when it was over all then people who had not tapped out and was in the dominant position got promoted to Blue belt. This made me happier than I thought it would. I was really in a bad situation at one point guy had me in a decent Gi choke and I was fighting it trying to change position and the room was starting to fade a bit. Luckily he gave up on it and we continued and I got side mount working for subs till they called time.

So anyway now I have a Blue Belt in Gracie Jiu jitsu. Looking to get back to working on this fight tonight and getting in the cage on Saturday. Gotta get this win.

Congratulations, exactly the mental boost you need before the fight. Last couple of days. Work through your stuff and stay as relaxed as possible. You’ve done the hard bit, you’ve trained your arse off, and you’ve tangibly improved - evidenced by your new belt. You should be excited for Saturday now - no way your guy can hang with you in bjj. The win is yours, you just get to choose how you take it. Exactly where you should be going into the ring. I always tried to be in that place, even against the top few guys in the country. If the confidence is justified, and you’re performing at the level you should be relative to your opponent, then you’re in control.

Ranzo,

How did the fight go?

Regards,

Robert A

Well it was unbelievable. Was 99% warmed up and ready to go out mouthpiece in mental focus extremely good mind was clear ready to kill when the othe guys trainer came over and said his guy could not fight because he broke his foot while warming up…WTF!??

I thought it had to be a joke. Basically partner was holding Thai pad and the guys foot caught his partners elbow and it broke his foot or damaged it badly and the athletic commission said no way Jose. I went over and talked to him and he apologized and I told him if he wanted to we can do it in the future. LOL I think he got off easy.

The other two guys on my team did get to fight though one got caught in a Triangle choke and the other won by Triangle choke. I was so pumped and ready to fight though, when I found out it was not gonna happen I really did not know what to do with myself was wanting to punch everything in sight. Anyway so no good fight story, no video just a waste of lots of prep for a fight that did not happen.