T Nation

12 Hours Sleep?

with that much sleep; its awesome…but i’d also worry about not getting enough food. that’s a LONG time to be in a catabolic state.

I sleep about the same aswell after the days I’ve trained hard. I eat a lot before bed time though, a pack of minced meat, milk curd and that sort of stuff, but pretty fast after waking up I’m very hungry again.

[quote]Judas wrote:
hey thanks for posting

just been happening for the last 2 weeks since i have started full time training, before that i was only train 1-2 hours a week now im training 5-9 hours a week.
my nutrition is really healthy but im trying to loose some fat at the moment so i have been eating 500 calories under my daily needs for around a month now, do you think that would have an effect on sleep ? should i bring my cals up and try and maintain and build muscle while training this much instead of trying to work it in the fat loss direction ?

yes some mornings i wake up and bounce out of bed and feel pumped some times i wake up and my eyes are still tired and i crawl to the shower.

whats ZMA ?[/quote]

How many calories are you taking in right now? That is a big jump in training, 4-5x’s as much if you look at it. Did you adjust all of your calories to account for all of that?

Are you waking up naturally or to a clock? The grogginess could be due to a variety of things like you are waking up in the middle of a sleep cycle.

How do you feel other than the excessive sleeping?

ZMA = Zinc monomethionine aspartate and Magnesium Aspartate

[quote]Backlash79 wrote:
Judas wrote:
hey thanks for posting

just been happening for the last 2 weeks since i have started full time training, before that i was only train 1-2 hours a week now im training 5-9 hours a week.
my nutrition is really healthy but im trying to loose some fat at the moment so i have been eating 500 calories under my daily needs for around a month now, do you think that would have an effect on sleep ? should i bring my cals up and try and maintain and build muscle while training this much instead of trying to work it in the fat loss direction ?

yes some mornings i wake up and bounce out of bed and feel pumped some times i wake up and my eyes are still tired and i crawl to the shower.

whats ZMA ?

How many calories are you taking in right now? That is a big jump in training, 4-5x’s as much if you look at it. Did you adjust all of your calories to account for all of that?

Are you waking up naturally or to a clock? The grogginess could be due to a variety of things like you are waking up in the middle of a sleep cycle.

ZMA = Zinc monomethionine aspartate and Magnesium Aspartate[/quote]

im geting 2500cals a day, yep i just eat a big post work out shake after every training session and it balances the extra work cals.
i wake up naturally
i am in heaps of pain like all my muscles are sore as fuck and i got heaps of little injures i like limp around all day, my muscles should adapt soon im hoping. i damaged my fore arm yesterday so im gonna take 3 days off to let it fully heal cos its pretty bad i cant use my hand at all lost like 70% strength in it. using a can opener is almost impossible

do you think i should try and build up to this volume of training a bit slower or just keep at it and see if my body adapts and goes back to normal 8-9 hours sleep ?

[quote]Judas wrote:
Backlash79 wrote:
Judas wrote:
hey thanks for posting

whats ZMA ?

im geting 2500cals a day, yep i just eat a big post work out shake after every training session and it balances the extra work cals.
i wake up naturally
i am in heaps of pain like all my muscles are sore as fuck and i got heaps of little injures i like limp around all day, my muscles should adapt soon im hoping. i damaged my fore arm yesterday so im gonna take 3 days off to let it fully heal cos its pretty bad i cant use my hand at all lost like 70% strength in it. using a can opener is almost impossible

do you think i should try and build up to this volume of training a bit slower or just keep at it and see if my body adapts and goes back to normal 8-9 hours sleep ?[/quote]

2500 cals? How much do you weigh? What are you trying to cut down to?

I’d see how it goes, honestly getting back into wrestling after an off-season always felt like that to me (felt like shit I mean).

I know you said you were looking to lose weight, are you lifting on top of all the rolling?

I’m starting to give more credence to this sleeping cycle thing. I was woken up after about 6 hours of sleep last night (ie right in the middle of a deep cycle) and even tho I got back asleep about half and hour later it was a very uncomfortable tossing and turning sleep. I feel ultra groggy now.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
I’m starting to give more credence to this sleeping cycle thing. I was woken up after about 6 hours of sleep last night (ie right in the middle of a deep cycle) and even tho I got back asleep about half and hour later it was a very uncomfortable tossing and turning sleep. I feel ultra groggy now.[/quote]

I’ve found that if I wake up after 6 hours of sleep or at 8.5-9 hours to be the best for me. If I wake up before or in the middle of that I usually feel really groggy. If I wake up after 9, usually I feel groggy but I’m able to shake that off easier than before/middle.

if you increased your training alot there is no need to drop cals since you’ll be burning more during the exercise and in EPOC

[quote]Backlash79 wrote:
Judas wrote:
Backlash79 wrote:
Judas wrote:
hey thanks for posting

whats ZMA ?

i wake up naturally

do you think i should try and build up to this volume of training a bit slower or just keep at it and see if my body adapts and goes back to normal 8-9 hours sleep ?

2500 cals? How much do you weigh? What are you trying to cut down to?

I’d see how it goes, honestly getting back into wrestling after an off-season always felt like that to me (felt like shit I mean).

I know you said you were looking to lose weight, are you lifting on top of all the rolling?

[/quote]

yea i just do one day of weights a week to keep my strength up, just do 4X8 for Bench,Row, Upright Row,DB shoulder press, and arms. i do a shit load of squats in class every day and sit ups so i dont bother with weights for legs. and lower back gets hammered with takedowns and postering up in guard.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Man I wish I could sleep that much. I’m lucky to get 7 or 8.

I was reading about your bodies natural sleeping cycles a couple of weeks ago and it made for interesting reading.

It seems you go thru a one hour going to sleep period, two hour deep sleep and one hour waking up, for a total of 4 hours. Normally with an 8 hour sleep your repeat the cycle twice. And if you wake up when you “not supposed to” (ie during the two hour deep sleep period) you end up feeling groggy and tired.

I used to either get 7 or 9 hours and would wake up feeling tired regardless, but now I’ve been making the effort to get to bed 8 hours and 30 mins before I have to get up and I’m waking MUCH more refreshed and full of energy.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on these sleeping cycles?[/quote]

It was my understanding that as the night goes on, the amount of time in each cycle changes. Early in the night, you spend more time in certain stages of sleep, and as morning approaches cycles of REM sleep occur at a faster rate.

Here’s a link explaining it:

http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleeping.htm

I really can’t say how accurate this is, but it seems consistent with what I’ve heard a few times before.

Hanley, my buddy used to talk about those kind of sleep patterns that you’re referring to, but idk if they’re legit. I learned about sleep cycles in psychology and I’m pretty sure you’re in either REM sleep, which is the deep sleep, or Non-REM sleep.