110M Hurdles

what are some workouts to do this offseason since track is almost over? i was thinking about doing CT’s vertical jump program

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=859906 , then ws4sb2 and near the beginning of the season do Watersburys summers project to lose a little fat http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1140463 .

I don’t know what other workouts I should do between teh ws4sb and the watersbury program. I tried searching but apparently I can’t find too much.

basically I want to sprint faster/jump farther/higher.

thanks a lot.

EDIT:
www.elitetrack.com/articles/fallsprints.pdf
any opinions on this?

EDIT deux:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=487636
since now i know that the elitetrack workout is for long hurdles and weight lifting is more important i foudn the designer athlete training program.

so basically this offseason i’m going to do ws4sb,designer athletes,but alternating programs and exercises every 5 weeks. and then do ct’s vertical jump program last. i’m wondering what other training programs that are good for a sprinter.

Are you training FOR track? What are your goals?

[quote]wangster wrote:
basically I want to sprint faster/jump farther/higher.

thanks a lot.[/quote]

2 exercises to add you probably aren’t doing [1]Glute Ham Raises and [2]Romanian Deadlifts. All posterior chain, all the time

if your training FOR track after a 2 - 3 week lay off period your workouts should still predominately be track style workouts. With techniques and event style exercises. Although you can do a little less than normal.

Deads are the best westside I’ve never tried, it looks good, but make sure you have a good base before trying the advanced techniques. You may have a ways to go before doing certian exercises will help.

If your season doesn’t start for a while, you’d be better off starting with a more traditional strength training program prior to the CT’s workout.

The strength gained from using repetition work will last longer, and you can switch to CT’s program when repetition work becomes ineffective. Stick to 6RM or lower if you don’t want to gain a lot of extra bulk.

If your season’s way away, you might just want to take it easy and do some general conditioning.

A little more timing advice: you’ll want to finish CT’s program a couple weeks before the more important part of your season - this is a little tough with track, I’m still trying to figure out what exactly to do myself.

Yeah, I’d do some kind of strength program first (WS4SB) and then do CT’s program to convert the strength to power.

I wouldn’t do a specific fat loss weight-training program unless you think you really have a problem with fat. I’d just adjust my diet instead and continue with CT’s program.

As for exercise selection for both programs, I agree that you should stick to posterior chain movements. Especially in the 110 hurdles, there isn’t a lot of knee bend so you won’t be relying heavily on your quads.

For the explosive exercises in CT’s program, I’d go with 1 legged or split squat variations of the exercises he recommends. I might even substitute 1 legged horizontal bounding for distance instead of the vertical jumps.

Off season already?!

I’m learning to 110M Hurdle and our season is just about starting. We did lots of longer distance 120-15-200m lengths over the winter period with lots of circuits. The guys I train with are a lot younger then me. They don’t do any extra conditioning with weights.

I’m primarily an OLifter so that is my focus and I do the hurdling 1-2x a week.

If you haven’t learnt some OLifts that would be a very good start imo.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:
Off season already?!

I’m learning to 110M Hurdle and our season is just about starting. We did lots of longer distance 120-15-200m lengths over the winter period with lots of circuits. The guys I train with are a lot younger then me. They don’t do any extra conditioning with weights.

I’m primarily an OLifter so that is my focus and I do the hurdling 1-2x a week.

If you haven’t learnt some OLifts that would be a very good start imo.

Koing[/quote]

Yep, our season basically ended. we started in around early march. i’m going to learn some olympic lifts from my gym teacher.

i think i’ve found something pretty good.
any opinions on this?

[quote]wangster wrote:
i think i’ve found something pretty good.
any opinions on this?[/quote]

That looks pretty sound, and good to follow if you’re not doing any other sports. The main thing is to keep your max speed up, and to maintain your hurdling technique, but on top of that just lift and condition. If you can play lots of other sports then good, as that can stop you getting bored of constant track work and it forces you to do decent workouts.

One thing I just noticed - that program is for long sprints and hurdles, by which I’d assume 400mh, not 110. In that case, it may be inadequate for your needs, and I’d say lifting becomes more important.

http://www.T-Nation.com/...ic.do?id=487636
since now i know that the elitetrack workout is for long sprints/hurdles and weight lifting is more important i found the designer athlete training program.

so basically this offseason I’m going to do ws4sb,designer athletes,but alternating programs and exercises every 5 weeks. and then do ct’s vertical jump program last. i’m wondering what are some other training programs that are good for a sprinter/110h.

*just thought i’d let you guys know-i got a gym membership to a commercial gym[fitness19] because it is the closest gym to my house and the school gym is very crowded. the gym hasn’t opened yet so it was only 14 bucks a month.