T Nation

11-year-old Tampa Powerlifter

I did a variety of searches but didn't find anything on this. I'll put on my flame retardant suit in case anyway.

Cliffnotes if you can't follow the link:

• 11-year-old lost Tae Kwon Do comp, agreed to train powerlifting to get stronger
  • Weighs 85lbs, deadlifts 220+ lbs
  • Set multiple world records
  • Sounds like a mature, accomplished young man with a prosperous future.

I'd also like to point out some comments from the article:

• "child abuse. Way too young to be lifting weights this heavy."

• "stupid parents!"

• "He is going to have such horrible back problems in the future! Why would anyone encourage this?"

• "Buldging disks in your back doesn't define how to be a man. I hope this kid is able to learn life lessons on his own, cause what he is being taught is brain washing."

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Here's a vid of him lifting 226lbs at 88lbs bodyweight.

pffffffffffffft. I can do that raw; I don't see the big deal.

That's great! If he keeps it up, he'll be able to train smart through a lot of awesome growth years.

I posted on the thread.It should be up soon.

"Child abuse is allowing a child to sit on their rearend inside all day long eating junkfood,playing video games,not doing mandatory chores and homework,and all the while their rears are getting as wide as mommys."

Really,the only sane comment I read.

I think it's funny nobody is calling the strenuous and difficult tae kwon do child abuse, but suddenly have the kid lifts weights, and it's evil? lolol

Cool. My son is 11, but heavier than this kid. He has pulled 203 so far.

Oh yeah!, That's him in my avatar. That picture is a couple years old.

Not even 3x bodyweight! That kid is a creme-puff

Looks like you're irondoc63? You said what I was thinking. Unfortunately, that's a losing battle. Stupidity and ignorance of weight-sports is so ingrained in the minds of Americans that I don't think it will ever change.

I'm a PL and I have mixed emotions about it. I have nothing against a kid weight training, but PL is about pushing maxes...period end of story. PL is not training. PL is extreme. I'm not sure I'd have my young son maxing in anything that young. A kid can train and get good and strong without pulling max deadlifts. As for this kid, he moved it pretty easy and I didn't see anything too concerning...but when do you get concerned - when he's going for 240 and his form doesn't look so good?

LOL at the deadlift helper bar when they were putting smaller plates on.

If he trains under supervision I don't see the problem. Any sport has even greater risks. His Tae Kwon Do. My son had entered a meet under my supervision at the age of 9. He pulled 135 at a weight of 65. He did his first meet this year going 245/155/360 raw at 132 and the age of 16.

He has never suffered an injury other than some strained upper back muscles, maybe DOMS soreness related that I treated that day. He has however suffered a broken arm while wrestling and other injuries in team sports.

His sister has suffered stress fractures and shin splints while running in track and cross country. Both more serious injuries than when they have lifted. She's actually planning more lifting to strengthen her body overall to handle the rigors of running better this year.

I think it's mainly perception with the powerlifting. Also their dad, me is an ART trained chiropractor ands they have access to me in my office gym, so I don't let little strains etc. grow into big injuries.
Powerlifting is just lifting. Watch the kids close, limit maxes and keep that form tight. If you do that it's less likely for your kids to get hurt than playing your average team sport. and don't get me started on those two darling sports for the young ladies, gymnastic and ice skating.

The perception should be the other way around. Has anyone ever seen their injury rates?

So is he just ragdolling the other 11 year olds?

I work in a hospital and I've seen two girls in the last two weeks in emerge with neck injuries, scary shit man seeing a nine year old in a neck brace and the look on the parents face says it all, they're shitting their pants.

I'm not advocating balls to the wall crazy training for kids, just a simple progressive approach with incremental gains btw. Like 5 3 1. There is possibility of injury, but there is more in some of these sports parents just adore.

Gymnastics and Martial arts were the two most dangerous at the Arnold Classic in crap my pants ways. These kids can suffer the worst of the worst injuries. Jui Jitsu was a bad one. Cheerleading is right up there with these two. But people don't blink at these.

Any sport needs qualified adult supervision. Powerlifting has the perception of being more dangerous than it is in my professional opinion.

My son at the age of 12 had Louie Simmons and Amy Weisberger teaching him how to deadlift sumo and helepd him with his deadlift form. He's a lucky kid.

Fuck dude, will you adopt me lol, I'm a little long in the tooth but I'm house trained :slight_smile:

No doubt, how do you feel about twins?

Kind of related.

I'm surprised at some of your comments. First, PL is not "just lifting". PL is about lifting the absolute most you can for a single lift. Period end of story. And although I offer no debate about other sports offering higher risk for "acute" injury, I'm not so sure that PL doesn't offer enough risks of its own for chronic injury. You need look no further than these very pages for all the guys with bad elbow, shoulders, knees and backs from heavy lifting over the course of their training careers. Yes, I know you can get all those things playing other sports too. And please don't tell me that chronic injuries can be completely avoided with good lifting form. There is no such thing as flawless form in a sport where you will repeatedly attempt single max lifts. I'll repeat, I have no problem with weight training for the young...I have some reservations about PL for the young.