T Nation

11 Weeks Till Beach

Hey guys, I’ve been training on and off since I was 15 but effectively I only have about a year old solid lifting under the belt (I’m 17). When I started, I was nearly 35% bodyfat, and I have gotten as low as 15 before, but that was through keto and lots and lots of muscle loss.

Going to be spending a lot of time shirtless at the beach pretty soon, and I need to not look like a fatass, abs would be a plus but I’m really more than happy with just losing my love handles

This is what my currenty physique looks like, 6’1" 202lbs (as of this morning), how much do you think I can realistically expect?

http://puu.sh/2qHbk

I’ve been maintaining at 2700-3000 cals lately

In three months you could drop down under 150, which would probably be extreme. If you’re shooting for 160-170s lean it is certainly possible.

damn dude, you should have no problem toning that body into a real beach body in 11 weeks. The only thing I could see stopping you is lack of effort.

PIck a weight-lifting program(these programs usually last 10 wks), LEARN ABOUT NUTRITION, and add HIIT(cardio) and you are fine dude. Just go do it, don’t pussy out on yourself.

damn dude, you should have no problem toning that body into a real beach body in 11 weeks. The only thing I could see stopping you is lack of effort.

PIck a weight-lifting program(these programs usually last 10 wks), LEARN ABOUT NUTRITION, and add HIIT(cardio) and you are fine dude. Just go do it, don’t pussy out on yourself.

[quote]amayakyrol wrote:
In three months you could drop down under 150, which would probably be extreme. If you’re shooting for 160-170s lean it is certainly possible.[/quote]

Yeah I’m guessing I’m about 20% bodyfat right now, so I should look alright at 170ish?

[quote]Claudan wrote:

PIck a weight-lifting program(these programs usually last 10 wks), LEARN ABOUT NUTRITION, and add HIIT(cardio) and you are fine dude. Just go do it, don’t pussy out on yourself. [/quote]

Last 3 months or so I’ve been out of the gym (because of strict parents + exam season) but I’ve been doing pullups, pushups, car pushes and odd object workouts at home, so haven’t gained or lost much weight, been able to go to the gym for like 10-15 mins once in a while, my big 3 (squats, deads, bench) haven’t gone down (deadlifts actually went up), but will be able to gym again starting tomorrow, here’s what I’m thinking:

Monday: Heavy deads, high rep cleans, traps + rows
Tuesday: HIIT cardio, Heavy squats, high rep leg press, ab work
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: HIIT cardio, Heavy deads, high rep cleans, traps + pullups
Friday: Heavy bench, high rep flyes, tricep work
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Plyo

I know it’s a little light on legs and I might get flamed for that, but this is only a temporary thing to bring out my back and traps to give the illusion of size. Also, I want to include lateral delts work 2x a week, but where should I put it in?

Since I maintain on 3000, going to bring that down to 2500 and maybe lower it further/add more cardio if I start stalling.

Opinions? Cheers guys :smiley:

oh shit, make that 9 weeks

time for keto?

Just start lifing and lower your calories a little bit. Seriously, you haven’t worked out in months. Dropping about 20 lbs in 9 weeks while adding SOME size is definitely possible, so you can look significantly more in shape after 9 weeks if you start now. No need for panic mode, just shoot for 1.5-2 lbs of weight loss a week and push yourself in the weight room.

You won’t have a 6 pack in 9 weeks, sorry. From where you’re starting it’s just not possible. You will be significantly leaner though. Also, just trying to help and be realistic, I would say you are above 20% bodyfat from that picture.

Your split sucks for your goals. Sorry. I see little chest work, very little shoulder work, and no direct bicep work. If your goal is to look good for the beach, these muscle groups are arguably the most important (plus triceps). Why not pick a routine from “Do this routine not that dumb one” on this site? Search it.

Find a routine that is already been successfully used by other people, there are a lot of them to choose from. Right now I think pretty much anyone of them will be helpful. Equally important, if not more important is to get your diet locked in, dont JUST count calories.

[quote]Live wrote:

[quote]Claudan wrote:

PIck a weight-lifting program(these programs usually last 10 wks), LEARN ABOUT NUTRITION, and add HIIT(cardio) and you are fine dude. Just go do it, don’t pussy out on yourself. [/quote]

Last 3 months or so I’ve been out of the gym (because of strict parents + exam season) but I’ve been doing pullups, pushups, car pushes and odd object workouts at home, so haven’t gained or lost much weight, been able to go to the gym for like 10-15 mins once in a while, my big 3 (squats, deads, bench) haven’t gone down (deadlifts actually went up), but will be able to gym again starting tomorrow, here’s what I’m thinking:

I know it’s a little light on legs and I might get flamed for that, but this is only a temporary thing to bring out my back and traps to give the illusion of size. Also, I want to include lateral delts work 2x a week, but where should I put it in?

Since I maintain on 3000, going to bring that down to 2500 and maybe lower it further/add more cardio if I start stalling.

Opinions? Cheers guys :D[/quote]

I’m not sure I would do HIIT on days where you are weight lifting. I get you want to go hard but it might not be sustainable/and slightly mentally draining if you are going from “odd object workouts at the home” to 110% at a gym. Also, the fact that you’ll be doing HIIT + Leg-day/dead-day is just overkill. One of the two is going to suffer in performance and that isn’t optimal.

I’m not an expert(on anyone else’s body but my own) but I think you would benefit from doing a 3-day-split program with more emphasis on 3x-aweek HIIT(<- after all this is going to be your fat burner).

So that’s fine, get your training in order, but like someone else mentioned, its hardly the most important thing for you. Consider this(an exert out of a words-of-wisedom .doc I made for my novice friend):

"A workout will most likely range from 45mins-120mins. Ideally, you want to be done in 60 to 90 minutes. After that, you are losing out on concentration, intensity, energy and most importantly, form.

One day contains (60minsx24h) 1440 minutes. Lets assume that you complete a 90 minute workout. That means that you spent ((90mins/1440mins)x100) 6.25% of your day working out. Lets subtract (8 hours) 480 minutes for sleep, and we end up with 870 minutes. Thatâ??s roughly 60.5% of your day that you donâ??t sleep or workout.

I say this because, considering you only workout for 6.25% of your day, you need to realize that besides sleep(which is important), your eating(caloric intake) is extremely important in you getting stronger and bigger. You donâ??t want to waste all that hard work in the gym by eating poorly, or even worse, not eating enough."

Obviously any instance of “bigger” should be replaced with “smaller(bodyfat-loss)” and “not eating enough” should be replaced with “not eating smart enough”. Nutrition is a much more powerful tool for weight-loss than weight-lifting is, imo.

I wouldn’t rush it too much. No need to. Even getting down to the 10-14% range is gonna make you look a lot leaner, and if you can put on some muscle in the process that would be a plus too. Get on a premade program that fits your goals (bodybuilding parameters, something simple) eat at a slight caloric deficit (use an online calorie calculator) and do some light to moderate cardio. 11 weeks is a good amount of time

I’ll give you my experience.

I was at 235-240 lbs at 6’, week as hell, couldn’t squat my own bodyweight properly, maybe 250 bench, maybe 350 deadlift a few years ago. I switched from a high calorie, high carb, high gluten, high sugar, low protein diet to a high protein, low carb diet and did some light biking to work and bodyweight excercises. I dropped down to low 180s in less than 3 months. All I ate was basically eggs, cheese, salsa, chicken, apples, peanut butter, broccoli, green beans, peas, and asparagus. I ate around 100g carbs a day. I did eat a double meat double cheese burger from Whataburger about 3-5 times a week. When I did that accounted for half of my daily calories and about 3/4 of my carbs.

I wasn’t “ripped” I still had about 10 lbs to go to get really lean, but it’s just an example of how easily you can drop a lot of weight quickly with a lifestyle change.

Thanks for the responses guys, mulling them over in my head, trying to figure out what to do

Since my internet has been really dodgy lately, since my last post this is the first time I’m checking this, and today, for some reason even though I haven’t been lifting, I set a new PR on deadlifts, 400lbs, I guess I haven’t really lost strength

Also, I think I’m carrying a little bit more muscle than the OP Makes it look like, lol, shitty lighting in that pic, here’s a pic from yesterday (so still no pump) that might make it a bit better

http://puu.sh/2rTEB

Also, as I said in OP I dont really care about getting abs, i just want a small waist haha

[quote]Claudan wrote:

[quote]Live wrote:

[quote]Claudan wrote:

Opinions? Cheers guys :D[/quote]

I’m not sure I would do HIIT on days where you are weight lifting. I get you want to go hard but it might not be sustainable/and slightly mentally draining if you are going from “odd object workouts at the home” to 110% at a gym. Also, the fact that you’ll be doing HIIT + Leg-day/dead-day is just overkill. One of the two is going to suffer in performance and that isn’t optimal.

I’m not an expert(on anyone else’s body but my own) but I think you would benefit from doing a 3-day-split program with more emphasis on 3x-aweek HIIT(<- after all this is going to be your fat burner).

So that’s fine, get your training in order, but like someone else mentioned, its hardly the most important thing for you. Consider this(an exert out of a words-of-wisedom .doc I made for my novice friend):

"A workout will most likely range from 45mins-120mins. Ideally, you want to be done in 60 to 90 minutes. After that, you are losing out on concentration, intensity, energy and most importantly, form.

One day contains (60minsx24h) 1440 minutes. Lets assume that you complete a 90 minute workout. That means that you spent ((90mins/1440mins)x100) 6.25% of your day working out. Lets subtract (8 hours) 480 minutes for sleep, and we end up with 870 minutes. Thatâ??s roughly 60.5% of your day that you donâ??t sleep or workout.

I say this because, considering you only workout for 6.25% of your day, you need to realize that besides sleep(which is important), your eating(caloric intake) is extremely important in you getting stronger and bigger. You donâ??t want to waste all that hard work in the gym by eating poorly, or even worse, not eating enough."

Obviously any instance of “bigger” should be replaced with “smaller(bodyfat-loss)” and “not eating enough” should be replaced with “not eating smart enough”. Nutrition is a much more powerful tool for weight-loss than weight-lifting is, imo.

[/quote]

Appreciate your feedback bro, srs,

I think I can handle it though, when I say working out at home I meant actually going hard with it, and I can say for sure my back got stronger from all the pullups (since i went from deadlift max of 385 to 400 today, and i don’t even lift hehe)