T Nation

11 Weeks Out From First Show

5’10" currently 186 lbs cutting to middleweight (176 lbs cut off). I plan on competing in the middleweight class as well as the classic short division. I have lurked in the shadows of TNation for quite some time and am now calling on the experts for advice. I have already cut 20 lbs but only now feel like I have something to present.

As muscle and definition begins to make an appearance I feel like I can finally start to judge where I am at and where I need to be come April. I do not have any guidance in prep or conditioning other than what I have learned by following others on here and reading the articles. This has become my primary resource in all that is bodybuilding and I hope soon that I will be able to contribute as well.

Thank you.

Front relaxed

Front lat

Back double bi

Rear lat

Rear lat spread

Sorry for the giant pictures and unflattering light.

what kind of show(open or natty) what do you figure your at in these pic 10% that would mean 19lbs of fat?
I’m helping a kid that works for me, he’s doing his first show ever in Toronto 12 weeks, same weight class as you. Anyway. Your shoulders are strong, even if you over deplete, they’ll help you stand out over other guys, Rough cardio, training, and diet, would help, I used to try to stay away from BB, but the last few years more and more kids at my gym are doing shows, with this Fame(natty)shows in town. Give us some info, and if nobody elese chimes in, I can atleast give honest feed back, guys I’ve seen, seem lean out top and botom first with your lower back comming last, seems same with you, upper chest, and calves starting to show detail, 2cents

If you can drop the 10 pounds of only fat and no muscle, while drying out you should be competitive.
How long you been lifting?
You seem soft? no offense, you look stout, but I’m not sure if it’s water or fat but you have a soft appearance.

I will be competing at a provincial level natural show. As per body fat % your guess is as good as mine. I hold most of my extra weight in my mid section and have a ways to go before I am “contest ready.” I have not been heavy on cardio yet but plan to ramp it up over the next few weeks. I do not have a lot of weight at home where I train so I have adopted higher volume workout sessions to compensate. I try to stick with lean sources for protein and adjust my carb intake around training. I work shift work so my training, eating, and sleeping schedule is all over the place.

It seems like you’re more than on schedule as far as your diet is concerned. You’re looking pretty big, so nail your conditioning, and I’m sure you’ll do well.

Just remember that the bodybuilding show itself is more than just how lean and muscular you are. Work on your posing as much as possible. If you have a friend or can afford a professional, I would suggest finding a handler who can help you prep and wait on you during the competition and several days leading up to it.

Best of luck man; I plan on stepping on stage this year as well.

I definitely need to bring up my posing. Today I will be attending a seminar put on by the organization who are hosting the show. I am looking forward to the posing clinic because I have no formal training thus far. It would be nice to make a few connections as well because as of right now I am going in pretty much blind.

I can’t afford to work with a professional so I try to absorb as much as I can and take advantage of what resources I do have. All of my posing work so far has been watching videos and looking at pictures of people who I think have similar body types. I try to gauge what poses showcase them best then I try to mimic and take pictures/video of myself with the help of my lovely wife for review.

Thank you for the insight and I wish the best of luck to you in your show.

My kid contacted Frauid albit ( pro BB can’t spell his name) and he is giving preping tips for free online,don’t know if other pro’s do the same, but it can’t hurt to reach out, some of these guys are great,

[quote]Mike T. wrote:
If you can drop the 10 pounds of only fat and no muscle, while drying out you should be competitive.
How long you been lifting?
You seem soft? no offense, you look stout, but I’m not sure if it’s water or fat but you have a soft appearance.[/quote]

I agree that I am currently on the soft side and hope that I can harden up before the show. I am trying to find a happy medium of cutting and not getting too far ahead of schedule. I think dehydrating will have the biggest influence over my physique but I am not overlooking the fact that there is still some fat there that has to go first.

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
My kid contacted Frauid albit ( pro BB can’t spell his name) and he is giving preping tips for free online,don’t know if other pro’s do the same, but it can’t hurt to reach out, some of these guys are great,[/quote]

I attended a seminar today by the host organization and had the opportunity to meet a few pros. They were all great guys and more than willing to help out and educate the less experienced, such as myself. We even had the opportunity to participate in a posing clinic put on by one of the pros who is also on the judge panel. One of the judges also took part in critiquing poses and let us know what they look for specifically in poses. I will definitely be reaching out more over the next few weeks and try to cover all the bases as I develop my game plan and try to stick to it.

If you want to PM me I can link you with the kid in TO prepin for his first show as well, you guys are on the same timeline, and the same weight class,and really only a few hours apart, He,s the head trainer at the gym I run, he,s been training for years, but he’s all nervous about his first show. You have to make sure you don’t get in your oen head to much, and screw up your prep,

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
If you want to PM me I can link you with the kid in TO prepin for his first show as well, you guys are on the same timeline, and the same weight class,and really only a few hours apart, He,s the head trainer at the gym I run, he,s been training for years, but he’s all nervous about his first show. You have to make sure you don’t get in your oen head to much, and screw up your prep,[/quote]

I will definitely take you up on that. Check PM.

are you doing the atlantics or the nsabba?

[quote]Builder wrote:
I will be competing at a provincial level natural show. As per body fat % your guess is as good as mine. I hold most of my extra weight in my mid section and have a ways to go before I am “contest ready.” I have not been heavy on cardio yet but plan to ramp it up over the next few weeks. I do not have a lot of weight at home where I train so I have adopted higher volume workout sessions to compensate. I try to stick with lean sources for protein and adjust my carb intake around training. I work shift work so my training, eating, and sleeping schedule is all over the place. [/quote]

there are natural bbing shows in atlantic canada?

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:

[quote]Builder wrote:
I will be competing at a provincial level natural show. As per body fat % your guess is as good as mine. I hold most of my extra weight in my mid section and have a ways to go before I am “contest ready.” I have not been heavy on cardio yet but plan to ramp it up over the next few weeks. I do not have a lot of weight at home where I train so I have adopted higher volume workout sessions to compensate. I try to stick with lean sources for protein and adjust my carb intake around training. I work shift work so my training, eating, and sleeping schedule is all over the place. [/quote]

there are natural bbing shows in atlantic canada?[/quote]

I am competing in the NSABBA show. I am not actually 100% sure if it is tested or not, the info provided on the site lead me to believe that it is. I will be competing naturally regardless. I am contemplating on whether or not I will be competing at Atlantics as well just because timing my conditioning is going to be hard enough the first time around for one show. I will be able to gauge it a little better closer to the shows. I think they are only a week apart, NSABBA being first.