11% Bodyfat but Have a Pot Belly

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]rugggby wrote:
If you have ‘some’ ab definition when tensing, then you’re not near 11%[/quote]

sure about that? I have “some” abs when flexing, and based upon 7 site skin fold I’m 9% with BIA of 12%[/quote]

Not sure if being sarcastic? You honestly think you’re 9% if you have some ab definition when tensing? C’mon man

lol anyone can look fat if they stick out their belly with air like this.
practice breathing in your stomach and keep the pressure in. keep it tight through the day and eventually it will stick. try the vacuum.

1 Like

I agree with Stu that your “relaxed” posture is excessively slack. You could get extremely lean and you would still appear to have a pot belly if you stand with with that type of pelvic tilt/distended abdomen type posture.
Low body fat does not necessarily equal a flat stomach. Think starving kids in Africa.

Also, any intestinal gas/bloating from your even mild digestive dysfunction lingering from your Crohn’s could conceivably exacerbate this, but this is pure speculation.

Otherwise, pretty much what everyone (especially Stu) has already said. You need to be carrying significantly more muscle at your height to look like you lift. I’m your height and about 40 lbs heavier than you are with similar body fat (although my frame is a little heavier), and I look pretty average really.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
You don’t have a pot belly.

-You need more muscle to appear in balance with yourself (you’re fairly tall for your present weight)
-You need to stand up with normal posture, not that slacking “supplement ad before pic” nonsense
-When your abs are better developed, you will see them at varying bodyfat levels. I see mine at my contest weight, but I also see them when I’m 30 lbs heavier.
-Your calories are insanely low. I don’t think I was eating 2300 cals a day when I was a week out from any of my past contests.

-Basically, IMO you’d be better suited trying to put on muscle (not weight, muscle), and slowly allowing more and better nutrients into your daily schedule. I think you’ve somehow gotten yourself convinced about your ‘pot belly’ when it’s actually a non-issue.

S[/quote]

So true, OP apparently hasnt heard of building muscle BEFORE worrying about aesthetics, no one looks good looking like they’re 14. And the “slacking “supplement ad before pic” nonsense” thing made me chuckle, pretty funny

[quote]rugggby wrote:

sure about that? I have “some” abs when flexing, and based upon 7 site skin fold I’m 9% with BIA of 12%[/quote]

You’re a flat out rook to think you only have some ab definition at 9%

[quote]rugggby wrote:

[quote]rugggby wrote:

Not sure if being sarcastic? You honestly think you’re 9% if you have some ab definition when tensing? C’mon man
[/quote]

Not sarcastic, and I think it’s obvious that all BF tests have some room for error, that said, considering 7 site and BIA are rather close, I think it’s safe to say my BF levels are around that general area.

The rule of thumb for guys I know is if you’re 10% you should be seeing ab definition, but let’s not forget people carry fat differently.

[quote]rugggby wrote:

[quote]rugggby wrote:

[/quote]

Not sarcastic, and I think it’s obvious that all BF tests have some room for error, that said, considering 7 site and BIA are rather close, I think it’s safe to say my BF levels are around that general area.

The rule of thumb for guys I know is if you’re 10% you should be seeing ab definition, but let’s not forget people carry fat differently.[/quote]

I completely agree about carrying people carrying body fat differently, that’s why I think nearly all the ways of measuring it are flawed. Go by the mirror. Numbers don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

[quote]rugggby wrote:

[quote]rugggby wrote:

[quote]rugggby wrote:

[/quote]

The rule of thumb for guys I know is if you’re 10% you should be seeing ab definition, but let’s not forget people carry fat differently.[/quote]

I completely agree about carrying people carrying body fat differently, that’s why I think nearly all the ways of measuring it are flawed. Go by the mirror. Numbers don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.
[/quote]

Yeah, to me the #s are really just a way to track progress not nail you to a certain %.

I like to use photos myself, mirror is useful, but sometimes your mental state I find can bend reality :wink:

[quote]ronald1919 wrote:
lol anyone can look fat if they stick out their belly with air like this.
practice breathing in your stomach and keep the pressure in. keep it tight through the day and eventually it will stick. try the vacuum. [/quote]

Thank you sir for this!!!

Yeah its funny I’ve done a 3 point caliper test and 5 point a few times, and they keep telling me I have 8% bodyfat no more than 10. This may be true because I literally have no fat on my thighs, shoulders, or arms. I did vacuums for the first time yesterday and I"m really feeling it today. I’m going to keep doing those, maybe drop another 5 pounds or so as I slowly add calories, I created a plan with about 2500 calories a day for now up from the 1800-2100 calories I’ve been eating for a while, so once the rippetoes gets heavier and I look leaner, I’ll keep adding calories, and try to get my squat back over 300, bench over 230, deadlifts around 400, and military over 160.

Once I have solid lifts back like I had earlier in the year, I’m thinking about going on a nice upper lower split so that I can keep frequency up with higher reps, and just keep adding calories as needed to slowly bulk. DOes this sound like a feasable plan?

This is an APT belly, you need stronger glutes / hamstring / lower abs and more flexible quads / hip flexors / back erectors (lumbars). Loosing more weight won’t help.

[quote]Mandalore wrote:
This is an APT belly, you need stronger glutes / hamstring / lower abs and more flexible quads / hip flexors / back erectors (lumbars). Loosing more weight won’t help.[/quote]

x2

Waist band gives this away (note how the front of your waistband is much lower than the back).

You may have already figured this out but I’ll say it anyway. Its not fat. You probably are (or were) low body fat.You are consuming way too much fiber. The fiber is making your belly big. Basically go on a fiber free diet for 30 days or even a week, and you will see a big change. Yep, i am saying the opposite of everybody “trying” unsuccessfully to lose the stomach. Forget what everybody thinks they know. That’s right eat very little fiber and if you can almost none at all, and that is your challenge and complete solution. :slight_smile:

I can’t decide what’s more nonsensical. Your suggestion to eliminate fiber from one’s diet to fix what is clearly poor posture, or the fact that you dug up a 5 year old thread to make that suggestion.

3 Likes