T Nation

11% Bodyfat but Have a Pot Belly

I've been cutting for the past few months and have gone down from 228 to 187 at a height of 6'4 and 27 years old. As of today I am 193 and on rippetoes to regain strength.

This whole time, I've been using a tanita bodyfat scale and its telling me my bodyfat was at 30% when I started and now its saying I"m at 20%. I just bought some calipers and its telling me I"m at around 11% bodyfat, and I've read that the calipers are more accurate.

Looking in the mirror, i definately can see some ab definition when I contract my stomach, and I am lean all over, but when I let my stomach go, I seriously look about 6 months pregnent. I went on this long cut in order to try to lose this pregnent look, but its still there.

I think my diet is very clean as all I eat is egg whites,green veggies with chicken or fish (use chayenne peppers, garlic, onion powder, salt and sometimes curry to season), black beans, oatmeal, cottage cheese, oatmeal, fish oil, cla, almond milk with whey protein and casein, and I like cashews and pistachios, but I've cut them out while cutting. Basically I eat about 50% protein, 25%fat, 25% carbs with about 1900 calories on offdays and 2300 on lifting days while cutting.

What would cause me to still have this pregnent looking stomach despite eating well and exercising, is there anything from my diet that would cause this? I dont eat wheat or milk, rarely eat fast food these days and stick to my diet for the most part.

I read something about cortisol affecting fat stores in the stomach, and I do have anxiety at times, so maybe that is it? I bought some supplement thats supposed to reduce cortisol.

I was diagnosed with crohns about 6 years ago, but I dont have any issues at all with it in years and I eat very healthy, but could that be causing this.

Basically I want to lose this pregnent look asap because if the calipers are right and I am around 11% bodyfat I want to start bulking soon to put on some serious mass, but I hate looking pregnent and having to squeeze my stomach all day.

ONe more thing I just found out about the athlete mode on the tanita and its telling me i have 15% bodyfat so somewhere between 11 and 15 %

If you have a belly as big as you make it sound, you’re not even close to 11% bodyfat, sounds like the bodyfat scale is closer to the truth, and/or you used the calipers wrong.

Pics.

Anterior pelvic tilt can make a bit of a belly look much more significant…doesn’t help that your posterior chain doesn’t hold everything up and tight either…if you have this condition.

http://www.bouldersportsmedicine.org/user_images/lg_1479517.jpg

If you have ‘some’ ab definition when tensing, then you’re not near 11%

Thread is useless without pics.

Me flexing

relaxing

side view

You’re definitely no 11% bodyfat, I don’t think you know how lean that is at all. I’d peg you at closer to 14-16%, off the top of my head. And it isn’t so much that your belly sticks out a ton, you just don’t have a bunch of muscle. That same size belly on a stronger person wouldn’t look big at all.

I really want to get to the point where I can go on a long bulk and put on a lot of size, but I need to get this pot belly situation handled first

What do you recommend I do then. For at least a month I want to stay on rippetoes to get my strength levels back up to where they were before. I"ve been doing this on a slight cut for a week now at 6’4 192 right now. I was thinking I need to get down to 8-10% bodyfat then go on a bodybuilding routine and focus on bodybuilding for a good 2-3 years to get to where I want to be.

I just dont want to deal with being looked at as having a pregnent look for a long period of time. Would a bodybuilding routine even on a bulk get rid of this issue on its own?

[quote]dapunisher1 wrote:
What do you recommend I do then. For at least a month I want to stay on rippetoes to get my strength levels back up to where they were before. I"ve been doing this on a slight cut for a week now at 6’4 192 right now. I was thinking I need to get down to 8-10% bodyfat then go on a bodybuilding routine and focus on bodybuilding for a good 2-3 years to get to where I want to be.

I just dont want to deal with being looked at as having a pregnent look for a long period of time. Would a bodybuilding routine even on a bulk get rid of this issue on its own? [/quote]

dude, do a bodybuilding routine now. What are you waiting for?

I think you will like the way you look much better when you add a decent amount of mass over the next couple years.

What is this, the third troll thread you have set up?

had you just eaten in the last pic? Your previous pics look close to 11% based upon chest, ab, arm definition. The side relaxed though looks like you just have a full belly/digestive tract of food

[quote]rugggby wrote:
If you have ‘some’ ab definition when tensing, then you’re not near 11%[/quote]

sure about that? I have “some” abs when flexing, and based upon 7 site skin fold I’m 9% with BIA of 12%

lol@pot belly. Anyone can push their gut out for a pic.

You don’t have a pot belly.

-You need more muscle to appear in balance with yourself (you’re fairly tall for your present weight)
-You need to stand up with normal posture, not that slacking “supplement ad before pic” nonsense
-When your abs are better developed, you will see them at varying bodyfat levels. I see mine at my contest weight, but I also see them when I’m 30 lbs heavier.
-Your calories are insanely low. I don’t think I was eating 2300 cals a day when I was a week out from any of my past contests.

-Basically, IMO you’d be better suited trying to put on muscle (not weight, muscle), and slowly allowing more and better nutrients into your daily schedule. I think you’ve somehow gotten yourself convinced about your ‘pot belly’ when it’s actually a non-issue.

S

Prof X told me in one of my own threads that it might have something to do with lack of abdominal strength. I’ve got the same issue man, and it sucks. It’s also confusing for yourself since it makes you think of being fatter than you actually are.

No idea what exercises might help, but I’ve recently stumbled upon ‘stomach vacuums’ - these might work dude. I’m going to replace my crunches with them.

(Oh, and I think 11-15% might actually be quite accurate in this case, since your arms etc look like bone)

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
You don’t have a pot belly.

-You need more muscle to appear in balance with yourself (you’re fairly tall for your present weight)
-You need to stand up with normal posture, not that slacking “supplement ad before pic” nonsense
-When your abs are better developed, you will see them at varying bodyfat levels. I see mine at my contest weight, but I also see them when I’m 30 lbs heavier.
-Your calories are insanely low. I don’t think I was eating 2300 cals a day when I was a week out from any of my past contests.

-Basically, IMO you’d be better suited trying to put on muscle (not weight, muscle), and slowly allowing more and better nutrients into your daily schedule. I think you’ve somehow gotten yourself convinced about your ‘pot belly’ when it’s actually a non-issue.

S[/quote]
Stu nailed it.

OP please don’t cut calories and add cardio or some bullshit like that…
You’re going to kill any progress you’ve made so far.