10x3 & Mens Fitness

Guys:

In CW’s 10x3 program article posted here on T-Nation, CW suggested to a reader that he increase the weight load by 2.5% for each subsequent workout of the same body part.

In this month’s Men’s Fitness, CW gives a sample 10x3, 4-day a week program, but recommends only increasing the weight after 3 weeks, by rechecking your max.

Can anyone tell me which is the correct way? Thanks!

It depends on the level of the trainee. CW must be assuming a lower level lifter would be reading that mag while higher level lifters are reading this. Appropriate changes in the program to better suit his audience.

In the MF article, you aren’t increasing the weight, but week two is 10x4 and week three is 10x5

[quote]SABmore wrote:
Guys:

In CW’s 10x3 program article posted here on T-Nation, CW suggested to a reader that he increase the weight load by 2.5% for each subsequent workout of the same body part.

In this month’s Men’s Fitness, CW gives a sample 10x3, 4-day a week program, but recommends only increasing the weight after 3 weeks, by rechecking your max.

Can anyone tell me which is the correct way? Thanks![/quote]

The article consists of a volume-based progression. There’s no need to increase the load during the first 3 weeks because the set/rep volume is constantly increasing from 30 (week 1) to 50 (week 3).

The program is a VERY BASIC (for lack of a better term) version of what I prescribe on T-Nation. In other words, the workout was designed for beginner-intermediate weekend warrior types - nothing more.

If you’re a more advanced trainee, stick to the information I give at my home (i.e., T-Nation).

Chad-

I’ll post a question about SOB training here. You will probably come across it sooner here than if I posted it underneath that article.

I understand, and agree, with your insistance on constant exercise rotation. Related to this, would you suggest that a trainee do the same exercise, lets say BB Bench, 2-3 Horizontal press sessions in a row and then switch or, alternatively, switch from BB bench to DB bench, every horizontal press session, continually rotating back and forth.

Thanks.