T Nation

10x10 With Dynamic?

Has anyone tried doing a 10x10 variant with dynamic effort days. I thought it would be suited to my goals because I need alot of power, but I am quite lower-body dominant, whereas breakdancing needs more upper body mass. So I was thinking of doing a 10x10 2 day split with one dynamic effort day a week.

Mon dynamic effort
tues 10x10 shoulders, arms
thurs 10x10 rows, bench, deadlifts
sat breakdancing/gymnastics

My body always needs more days rest than any program usually suggests, so I thought this would be enough volume per day per week. Hit hard, and rest long. What do you guys think?

or should I put my dynamic effort closest to the saterday
mon shoulders, arms
wed rows bench deads
fri dynamic effort
sat bd/gymnastics

Or would i be better off having my rows/bench day before my arms?

Did you say “breakdancing”? Wow, that’s a new one. I’m pretty impressed with the skills of some of those guys!

I’m going to come out and say that maybe a comprehensive bodyweight routine would suit you better?

Tons of chin variations, pushup variations, handstand pushups, dips, neck bridges, plyometrics for the entire body etc.

I say this becuase you mentioned breakdancing twice so it’s obviously an important factor.

I did a 10X10 with squats one day- had to be one of the most intense leg days I’ve ever had. 10X10 isn’t a joke, it is hard man.

The guy above me has it right though. Those exercises will probably help your breakdancin alot more.

I did GVT and I assure you that it is much harder than you give it credit. Soreness usually lasted five days. I think derek has it right. You might even want to look into EDT by Staley.

Well, the dynamic day would be the plyometric excercise day. My 4th day with the breakdancing/gymnastics already includes “Tons of chin variations, pushup variations, handstand pushups, dips, neck bridges, plyometrics for the entire body etc” because I do highbar and floorwork like flips and tumbles, along with handstand-skill work. In this way it is all mostly low-volume plyometric, or low-vol balance.

If you look at the pro non-asian breakdancers they are all massive, and I need to add some decent overall mass, not including calves and quads. imbalances the tiredness of my body when practicing skill work.

I havent been doing exactly EDT, but I have been doing density based training, or strength training since I started going to gym, so I am looking for a massive hard hit change. I tried for a period of just practicing my skills more, but infact because I lost strength over the period I became WORSE at them lol. This is why I was going to look at 2 days of 10x10, then a plyo dyno day.

[quote]forevernade wrote:
Has anyone tried doing a 10x10 variant with dynamic effort days. I thought it would be suited to my goals because I need alot of power, but I am quite lower-body dominant, whereas breakdancing needs more upper body mass. So I was thinking of doing a 10x10 2 day split with one dynamic effort day a week.

Mon dynamic effort
tues 10x10 shoulders, arms
thurs 10x10 rows, bench, deadlifts
sat breakdancing/gymnastics

My body always needs more days rest than any program usually suggests, so I thought this would be enough volume per day per week. Hit hard, and rest long. What do you guys think?

or should I put my dynamic effort closest to the saterday
mon shoulders, arms
wed rows bench deads
fri dynamic effort
sat bd/gymnastics[/quote]

What do you mean by “dynamic”?
Like the heaviest weight you can do for 10 or resting very little from set to set?

“Dynamic Effort is lifting a submaximal weight (40-60% of your 1RM) with maximum force. This is to help develop speed and to push through sticking points. This is typically done for 1 to 3 reps depending on the exercise… high sets”

I really dont know what you are talking about as far as set to set, unless you mean super setting, which I’m not doing.

[quote]forevernade wrote:
“Dynamic Effort is lifting a submaximal weight (40-60% of your 1RM) with maximum force. This is to help develop speed and to push through sticking points. This is typically done for 1 to 3 reps depending on the exercise… high sets”

I really dont know what you are talking about as far as set to set, unless you mean super setting, which I’m not doing.[/quote]

So you mean the speed of the movement? Cool. sort of a Max OT type training but with the focus on speed and intensity…

If your leaving it all at the gym you will need to rest that body part at least 2days… If not longer…
Your diet will come into play in a big way too for recovery…