T Nation

100m World Record

No one’s posted this yet:
Justin Gatlin 9.76

Prolly cuz everyones heard about it already…

This actually was talked about on another thread, but it’s still amazing.

Does anybody have a video link to it?

I have a clip of him running 9.95 in Osaka recently and his start is nasty, he doesn’t even really lead the race until about 60 meters at which point he starts to blow everyone away. I’m guessing he got that fixed.

In any case, watching a guy like him just stride away from the competition is amazing to watch.

Actually found a clip of it and surprisingly his run looks a lot like his run in Osaka, with the hunched start and all. I guess it’s hard to criticize the fastest man in history though!

Wonder what his squat is?

that is almost a .09 drop from his previous PB of 9.85, which in elite terms, is a HUGE drop, not even joking around. I was shocked to see this because I thought powell’s record of 9.77 was gonna stand, and only powell would rebreak it.

One things for sure though the world championships this year is going to be INSANE wiht powell and gatlin faing each other, the WR might fall again.

Thats some serious speed.

Whos his trainer/coach?

Anyone know?

video above. Damn that was quick - so early in the season too???

Is n’t this the same time ben johnson got in seoul in 1988?

Has technology like trainers,running tracks and training methodology and nutrition advanced that much in 18 years… . to make this possible wihout some sort of anabolic help.

[quote]supermick wrote:

video above. Damn that was quick - so early in the season too???[/quote]

Good Video.

I saw him say he thought he could have gone faster, and I figured it was just post race bravado, but watching the vid his start was a hunched…

This could be a fun track season.

[quote]indra wrote:

Has technology like trainers,running tracks and training methodology and nutrition advanced that much in 18 years… . to make this possible wihout some sort of anabolic help.

[/quote]

Or maybe Ben Johnson was just that good?

From the Sunday Independent:

Gatlin changed his medication (note: reference to amphetamine use for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)and has since had a trouble-free ride to the pinnacle of his sport, although his coach, Trevor Graham, was a pivotal figure in the Balco scandal in 2003, when the steroid-pedalling activities of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative led to Tim Montgomery, one of his former athletes, being stripped of the 9.78sec 100m world record he set in Paris in 2002.

check out this picture of ben’s start. I think he was that good.

Saw a vid of him running being compared to Barry Bonds running to first Base on ESPN. Hilarious, as Bonds hit the thirty yard bag at about the same time Gatlin crossed the 100m mark!

[quote]indra wrote:

[/quote]

you are trying us on, aren’t you??
Nobody’s that naive!

I beleive he trains with sprint capitol USA, shawn crawford is a training partner of his. Not sure on the name of his coach though

gatlin wasn’t even starting to move till the 40-50m mark on this video.

i thought the first 10-15 meters where more of a stumble, but who am I to say that I haven’t run a 10.0 second 100M.

If you look at the video you will see what I’m seeing, the top end charge after 40-50M is pretty phenominal.

what does it mean when you have like…your start off in running is bad…but as you keep running you just get a lot faster and reach your top speed about 50-60m in the race?

[quote]dl- wrote:
what does it mean when you have like…your start off in running is bad…but as you keep running you just get a lot faster and reach your top speed about 50-60m in the race?[/quote]

Bad start mechanics?

[quote]Ali Baba wrote:
I beleive he trains with sprint capitol USA, shawn crawford is a training partner of his. Not sure on the name of his coach though[/quote]

He is coached by Trevor Graham - the former coach of Tim Montgomery and Marion Jones… among others

You also need to examine the type of competitors that Gatlin and Powell are. Gatlin tends to rise to the occasion (hence his Oly/Worlds wins, as well as the fact that he broke the record with a guy running 9.84 in his heat), while Powell tends to run well at odd times in the year (no major championship wins, jogged over the line in Athens). The two will race each other on June 11th, and Gatlin will probably win, not because he has the record, but because he does what he needs to win. The world record very will probably fall again before the end of the season, and possibly during that race.

BTW, there are no World Championships this year. Those only occur during odd years.