T Nation

100-Yr-Old Man Completes Marathon

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Raw Finn wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
completed in approximately eight hours[/quote]

I would have been impressed if it wasn’t for the walking speed.[/quote]

Most people walk at about 3 miles an hour and that’s young people. This guy did a little faster than that and for 8 hours.[/quote]

Exactly. It is very impressive. Just have to look around at people over 70 or 75 (at least in North America), and it seems the vast majority have some physical disability. Probably 90% could not walk at 3mph for 5 minutes, let alone 8 hours. It’s an amazing achievement for 100.

[quote]dianab wrote:
He’s awesome! My grandmother is 100 and let me tell you it’s no joke being that old.
The story I read about this guy was edited, the first draft they called him a “centurian” LOL[/quote]

Completing a marathon as a centurion would be impressive at any age. It must get very hot under that helmet. At least you can guarantee a win if you’re willing to use the sword on the other competitors. LOL

[quote]BobParr wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Raw Finn wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

Most people walk at about 3 miles an hour and that’s young people. This guy did a little faster than that and for 8 hours.[/quote]

Exactly. It is very impressive. Just have to look around at people over 70 or 75 (at least in North America), and it seems the vast majority have some physical disability. Probably 90% could not walk at 3mph for 5 minutes, let alone 8 hours. It’s an amazing achievement for 100.[/quote]

An explanation to my point of view: I compared this to the insane stunts Jack LaLanne pulled off at a very old age. Those, I think, are incredibly impressive.

I actually find it more impressive to live to be 100 years old than this marathon thing. I’m also a former endurance running competitor so I know something about running.

The guy is definitely very dedicated though. Still, I would only rate this as a fine performance compared to an incredible one (check LaLanne for comparison). IMHO it’s not really wise to compare lazy ass mfers (most people) to dedicated athletes regardless of age.

[quote]Raw Finn wrote:

[quote]BobParr wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Raw Finn wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

Exactly. It is very impressive. Just have to look around at people over 70 or 75 (at least in North America), and it seems the vast majority have some physical disability. Probably 90% could not walk at 3mph for 5 minutes, let alone 8 hours. It’s an amazing achievement for 100.[/quote]

An explanation to my point of view: I compared this to the insane stunts Jack LaLanne pulled off at a very old age. Those, I think, are incredibly impressive.

I actually find it more impressive to live to be 100 years old than this marathon thing. I’m also a former endurance running competitor so I know something about running.

The guy is definitely very dedicated though. Still, I would only rate this as a fine performance compared to an incredible one (check LaLanne for comparison). IMHO it’s not really wise to compare lazy ass mfers (most people) to dedicated athletes regardless of age.[/quote]

Your explanation fails. You dismissed this accomplishment outright and then backpedal. You’re 21. Stop being such a snot-nose with an attitude and grow up.

[quote]giterdone wrote:
Your explanation fails. You dismissed this accomplishment outright and then backpedal. You’re 21. Stop being such a snot-nose with an attitude and grow up.
[/quote]

I disagree. I didn’t backpedal. That’s something I specifically avoided by repeating that I do not find the running of a marathon in less than 8 hours to be an incredible accomplishment, even for a centenarian. I also gave a perfectly reasonable explanation (I sincerely think so) to this.

I don’t know what kind of attitude you think I have.

You also seem to have confused growing old and growing up.

^Maybe that kind of attitude? Hehehee. :slight_smile:

That dude can’t be 100. That’s insane.