100 Tire Flips Challenge

[quote]Hanley wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Hanley wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Has anyone actually done this? 200 pounds seems awfully light. Yes, I realize it’s 100 reps, but it’s still damn light. I could bench press the empty bar for 100 reps, but I don’t see what good that would do either.

'cos it came from OPT I’d assume it’s a conditioning workout and not a strength test. A lot of the CF stuff is surprisingly good for aerobic and anaerobic conditioning. I wouldn’t let it try to get me strong tho, I’d be doing something in addition to it!!

I assumed it was conditioning, too. It’s just that 200 is very light. Most people can flip a 500-600 pound tire for 2-3 flips with just a little practice. A 200 pound tire is similar to deadlifting ~100 pounds.

If it’s anything like a typical CF workout it’ll look easy on paper, but horrible when you try to do it for time. Seriously, give it a lash and let us know. I’m curious now![/quote]

I have a light tire I might try this with weekend if I get bored.

I found the video on youtube and had to laugh at the guy wearing gloves for tire flips. lol

I usually do this on saturdays for conditioning, never thought to time it. Our 200lber is so low to the ground that sometimes when I go fast I fall forward. If you use 1 arm and switch back and forth its pretty easy to do a ton of reps rather quickly. I’ll time it this week and see how long it takes.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Hanley wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Has anyone actually done this? 200 pounds seems awfully light. Yes, I realize it’s 100 reps, but it’s still damn light. I could bench press the empty bar for 100 reps, but I don’t see what good that would do either.

'cos it came from OPT I’d assume it’s a conditioning workout and not a strength test. A lot of the CF stuff is surprisingly good for aerobic and anaerobic conditioning. I wouldn’t let it try to get me strong tho, I’d be doing something in addition to it!!

I assumed it was conditioning, too. It’s just that 200 is very light. Most people can flip a 500-600 pound tire for 2-3 flips with just a little practice. A 200 pound tire is similar to deadlifting ~100 pounds.

If it’s anything like a typical CF workout it’ll look easy on paper, but horrible when you try to do it for time. Seriously, give it a lash and let us know. I’m curious now![/quote]

I don’t even have a 200 pound tire to try it with. I only have a ~650 and I think I would die before I got 100 reps with that.

After watching some OPT videos, I see their 200 pound tire is much larger in size than I expected. That changes things a little. I was expecting something more like this:

That’s a video of a girl with less than six months training flipping a 200 pound tire with ease. You can see just how light it is from the first couple “flips”.

Compare that with OPT’s 200 lb tire and I can see how theirs would be more challenging.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Hanley wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Hanley wrote:
malonetd wrote:

If it’s anything like a typical CF workout it’ll look easy on paper, but horrible when you try to do it for time. Seriously, give it a lash and let us know. I’m curious now!

I don’t even have a 200 pound tire to try it with. I only have a ~650 and I think I would die before I got 100 reps with that.

After watching some OPT videos, I see their 200 pound tire is much larger in size than I expected. That changes things a little. I was expecting something more like this:

That’s a video of a girl with less than six months training flipping a 200 pound tire with ease. You can see just how light it is from the first couple “flips”.

Compare that with OPT’s 200 lb tire and I can see how theirs would be more challenging.

[/quote]

I had the same thoughts in my head too with regards to size. The 250lber we have at our gym is about 1’ off the ground and maybe 3’ radius. The one in the second video is super huge (and probably really thin). It sucks that he did the 100 reps inside 4 flips each way, that would annoy the shit out of me.

I guess it all comes down to what the person wants to do. I’ve got a 450-550lb tire that I flip in 4 sets of 8 flips. That’s enough for strength-conditioning for me (as far as tire flipping goes).

I am not so sure the tire in the first video is actually 200 lbs. While 200 lbs is light, she is tossing it around too easily.

[quote]greenhopper wrote:
I am not so sure the tire in the first video is actually 200 lbs. While 200 lbs is light, she is tossing it around too easily.[/quote]

It’s 200. I was there. I am the one holding the camera.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
greenhopper wrote:
I am not so sure the tire in the first video is actually 200 lbs. While 200 lbs is light, she is tossing it around too easily.

It’s 200. I was there. I am the one holding the camera.[/quote]

lol. At the rate she’s going she would do 15 flips in 30 secs. I do 18. Damn you! haha. You make me feel weak.

However, I do think I have hit the max limit for flips for that time. I don’t think it is possible to do more.

1 flip/ 1.7 secs.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Has anyone actually done this? 200 pounds seems awfully light. Yes, I realize it’s 100 reps, but it’s still damn light. I could bench press the empty bar for 100 reps, but I don’t see what good that would do either.[/quote]

I agree. The downside is that you would be hard pressed to find a 200lb tire that you can use proper flipping technique on. Bump that to a 400lb tire and put in 100 reps (ten sets of ten flips?) and I think you have something more worth while.