T Nation

100 Reps Recovery

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=206reps2

i was thinking about giving this recovery method a try. has anyone one tried it after a chest day? i was going to train chest on saturday. then on sunday do 10 sets of 10 reps of pushups throughout the day. what do you think?

Waterbury talks about this with his bench tsp program. I have been doing it (2x50, with 2-3 minute rest). I love it, it really eliminates soreness. Just flushes the muscle with blood and seems to speed up recovery.

do you do it everyday or only after the day you work your chest?

You want to keep it VERY VERY light its for recovery.

Phill

[quote]richardson23 wrote:
do you do it everyday or only after the day you work your chest?[/quote]

I typically do it the day after a chest work out.

thanks i think im gunna give a try

One thing you need to avoid is “the burn” while doing this. This protocol is not to induce lactic acid, it is to flush blood to the muscles, lactic acid will only hamper recovery.

[quote]Dexter Morgan wrote:
One thing you need to avoid is “the burn” while doing this. This protocol is not to induce lactic acid, it is to flush blood to the muscles, lactic acid will only hamper recovery.[/quote]

Hamper recover? Why?

[quote]Racarnus wrote:
Dexter Morgan wrote:
One thing you need to avoid is “the burn” while doing this. This protocol is not to induce lactic acid, it is to flush blood to the muscles, lactic acid will only hamper recovery.

Hamper recover? Why?[/quote]

Overworking a tired muscle might somehow increase recovery?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Racarnus wrote:
Dexter Morgan wrote:

Hamper recover? Why?

Overworking a tired muscle might somehow increase recovery?[/quote]

Too much sarcasm for the internet.

Basically:

Increased blood flow= increased nutrient transportation = good

Lactic acid= more muscle tissue being broken down= not the time this should happen(i.e a workout)= bad

Use a light enough weight to complete the 100 reps and get the blood flowing, but not heavy or fast enough to induce lactic acid(THE BURN BABY).

Hanley wrote:
Racarnus wrote:
Dexter Morgan wrote:

Hamper recover? Why?

Basically:

Lactic acid= more muscle tissue being broken down= not the time this should happen(i.e a workout)= bad

Use a light enough weight to complete the 100 reps and get the blood flowing, but not heavy or fast enough to induce lactic acid(THE BURN BABY).[/quote]

Lactic Acid does not cause the burn
that would be the accumulation of H+ ions in the muscle. High reps with ultra-low weight will help with this but it is not lactic acid in the muscle.

I dont know how much chemistry you have had, but H+ is “basically” acid

[quote]moax wrote:
Dexter Morgan wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Racarnus wrote:
Dexter Morgan wrote:

Hamper recover? Why?

Basically:

Use a light enough weight to complete the 100 reps and get the blood flowing, but not heavy or fast enough to induce lactic acid(THE BURN BABY).

that would be the accumulation of H+ ions in the muscle. High reps with ultra-low weight will help with this but it is not lactic acid in the muscle.[/quote]

I think you’re wrong. I say think because I have no proof.

I’m right none the less. Inducing a burn is bad during the 100 rep protocol. That’s why Chad has you splitting up the sessions, to control fatigue.

moax wrote:
Dexter Morgan wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Racarnus wrote:
Dexter Morgan wrote:

Hamper recover? Why?

Basically:

that would be the accumulation of H+ ions in the muscle. High reps with ultra-low weight will help with this but it is not lactic acid in the muscle.

I think you’re wrong. I say think because I have no proof.

I’m right none the less. Inducing a burn is bad during the 100 rep protocol. That’s why Chad has you splitting up the sessions, to control fatigue. [/quote]

Yes you are right about not wanting to induce “the burn” I didn’t mean to disagree with you on that.
And to the poster who mentioned H+ is acidic, yes this is true, the acidic enviroment in the muscle makes contraction harder but it still isn’t lactic acid.

At least we agree on what matters.

yes