100-reps for more capillaries?

Is there any research that shows high-repetition sets increasing the capillary density in muscle?

The only thing pertaining to capillary density that I can find in literature around the PhysEd Library at the University here points to Long Slow Distance (LSD) training. 60% of VO2 max or LT for hours at a time.

The reference in the article on “100 reps to bigger muscles” talks about “endurance training” in general. Well endurance training can mean a lot of things. Muscle endurance, power endurance, anaerobic endurance, aerobic endurance; all causing different physiological changes when you train for each.

Just give me a journal entry. Anything.

Hmmmn, I’m sure I just posted this. Look for hyperplasia differences between cyclists and swimmers vs. the common man. I think the trick is high rep concentrics.

In reply to the reply above:

Wouldn’t that point to long-term endurance training with much higher than 100 reps leading to capillary growth?

My coaches are telling me I need to do hours and hours of LSD training in order to have the capillary density handle the training program that Whitewater Canada prescribes to its athletes.

I am under the impression that higher repitition training will shift the makeup of the trained muscle from type IIb to type I. An increase in mitochondria and a decrease in glycogen stores is the more likely outcome, which comes with a decrease in size and power.

I need more capillaries. Blood supply to the muscle. What would you suggest?

Maybe it’s the Pimp Daddy in me, but I can’t figure out what you mean by LSD training.

Clearly I’m thinking of drugs.

“Long Slow Distance” is a training protocol used by long distance runners. The term was first popularized by running author Joe Henderson in the early 1970’s. (I used to have his book, but I lent it to a girlfriend in 1980 and she never gave it back after we broke up.) It means literally what it says – to improve distance running endurance, run longer distances at slower speeds. Application to strength training? In my opinion, none, but I’m happy to let exercise physiologists fight over that if they want to.

I need higher capillary density for whitewater kayak slalom. The national and world champs train hours of LSD and low reps (1-5) all year before changing to lactic training 16 weeks before competition.

Sports trainers get a little puzzled at these guys. David Ford, Canadian and World champ, can train at a constant pace for 4 hours straight and still bench 375 at a bodyweight of 185.

I have the biggest bench on the Alberta Team (except for the top woman competitor. Yikes!) and my only limitation is blood supply, so say the coaches, and the only cure is LSD! If I can increase blood supply via 100-reps, that is a lot better for my University schedule.