100 Pushups in One Set

Back when I did a lot of calisthenics and used no free-weights, I decided that I wanted to be able to do a hundred push-ups.

Got to a point where I was able to do 50 in a single set. Was rather proud of myself. Then one day my core got strong enough to do actual push-ups instead of shitty ones where your lower body is dropping down, resulting in you only pushing the extreme upper part of your body up, and not the entire body. Only managed to do 15 real push-ups before my arms gave out on me.

Can do anywhere from 30-35 now with solid-form. I don’t even bother trying to do push-ups once I know my form is going to get sloppy on me. I don’t see the point.

I’ll echo anyone who thinks that they can do 100 push-ups needs to get someone to look at their form before they go bragging about it. Lots of people have shit push-up form but don’t realize it. It’s like those people who do squats with absolutely no ROM. They can’t see their form, so they don’t know that they’re failing at it.

[quote]swhole milk wrote:

[quote]In10s wrote:

[quote]shibboleth wrote:
Does a pause at the top of the movement count towards the set or does it break it?

Either way I can’t do it. Nor do I really want to. But would be impressive to see.[/quote]

What? This is not that complicated. We’re talking a pause of a second in which the elbows are fully extended(locked out) at the top of the movement. The cadence of each rep would be administered in a manner to avoid the bouncing and momentum so prevalent in fast, “jerky” push ups. In this style (“jerky”) there is no steady elbow lockout prior to the the eccentric phase and often times no chest contact with the floor. Very high reps are possible however.[/quote]

LOL!!! You call that a pushup? That sounds more like a “Floor Sally”.

• No I call it a realistic performance parameter to adhere to if one is determined to perform a HIGH rep bout of pushups. The original posting was in reference to who can perform 100 pushups. I simply pointed out that by…
  1. Locking the elbows out with a distinct 1 second pause

2. Floor contact with the chest

3. The maintenance of a rigid plank body alignment

…The pushups would be more legitimate than what most people out there try to pass as pushups.

When I was deep in the world of pushups, it wasn’t a pushup unless done wide-grip knuckles down. Dick and lips would literally touch the ground on every rep, I kid you not. 2 second pause. 2 second eccentric. Don’t want anyone using BS explosive muscle power and cheating. 3 second pause at the top. You’ll find a lot of guys pausing for “one”–more like a quarter second. The long pause takes care of that. Talk about isometric strength! And of course a 2 second concentric. So that’s a 2-2-3-2 count.

• Again the original topic was the performance of a HIGH rep (100 rep) pushup set. No sane individual is going to utilize your detailed pushup cadence as they embark of achieving a very high rep count let alone 100 reps!

That’s a pushup. Notice that a proper pushup takes nearly 10 seconds. I see ladies like you guys struggling to plank for a minute. Try and do a hundred pushups while you’re at it. Yeah, right. Not on your biceps day. Which is apparently every day.

If you’re doing a pushup, and it isn’t 10 seconds, I just don’t care. Call it a “Floor Sally”.
[/quote]

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
I used to be able to 103 in one set, full pushups as well. And im fat as fuck. [/quote]

LOL no fucking way could you do 100 REAL pushups in one set.

I know alot of guys who claim they can do this sort of thing and literally not a single one of them does even one full ROM pushup.

With stuff like this 99% of people do a quarter movement at best at like 200mph.

[/quote]

Whatever dude.

[quote]In10s wrote:

[quote]In10s wrote:

[quote]shibboleth wrote:
Does a pause at the top of the movement count towards the set or does it break it?

Either way I can’t do it. Nor do I really want to. But would be impressive to see.[/quote]

What? This is not that complicated. We’re talking a pause of a second in which the elbows are fully extended(locked out) at the top of the movement. The cadence of each rep would be administered in a manner to avoid the bouncing and momentum so prevalent in fast, “jerky” push ups. In this style (“jerky”) there is no steady elbow lockout prior to the the eccentric phase and often times no chest contact with the floor. Very high reps are possible however.[/quote]

• No I call it a realistic performance parameter to adhere to if one is determined to perform a HIGH rep bout of pushups. The original posting was in reference to who can perform 100 pushups. I simply pointed out that by…

…The pushups would be more legitimate than what most people out there try to pass as pushups.

When I was deep in the world of pushups, it wasn’t a pushup unless done wide-grip knuckles down. Dick and lips would literally touch the ground on every rep, I kid you not. 2 second pause. 2 second eccentric. Don’t want anyone using BS explosive muscle power and cheating. 3 second pause at the top. You’ll find a lot of guys pausing for “one”–more like a quarter second. The long pause takes care of that. Talk about isometric strength! And of course a 2 second concentric. So that’s a 2-2-3-2 count.

• Again the original topic was the performance of a HIGH rep (100 rep) pushup set. No sane individual is going to utilize your detailed pushup cadence as they embark of achieving a very high rep count let alone 100 reps!

That’s a pushup. Notice that a proper pushup takes nearly 10 seconds. I see ladies like you guys struggling to plank for a minute. Try and do a hundred pushups while you’re at it. Yeah, right. Not on your biceps day. Which is apparently every day.

If you’re doing a pushup, and it isn’t 10 seconds, I just don’t care. Call it a “Floor Sally”.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Who cares if you care? Who the fuck takes 10 seconds to do a pushup?

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]In10s wrote:

[quote]In10s wrote:

[quote]shibboleth wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who cares if you care? Who the fuck takes 10 seconds to do a pushup? [/quote]

x2. It’s about performance, not muscle building. Touch ground/triceps parallel to ground, lockout elbows. That’s it. Lol at swholes definition of a “pushup”. “Dick and lips” “BS explosive muscle power” and fucking 3 second pauses. Who knew there were people who took pushups so seriously?

[quote]
Who knew there were people who took pushups so seriously?[/quote]

I work for them.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]

I work for them. [/quote]

Which branch? And are pushups done as strict as Swhole does his? I mean, pushups are important, but from what I’ve seen pushups are generally triceps parallel to the ground, then press until completely locked out.

[quote]louiek wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]

Which branch? And are pushups done as strict as Swhole does his? I mean, pushups are important, but from what I’ve seen pushups are generally triceps parallel to the ground, then press until completely locked out.[/quote]

Army.

We have a two-minute pushup event as a part of our physical fitness test. Basically, you have to keep your body in a straight line, feet one foot apart or less, and hands on the ground at all times. You have to lower your body “as a single unit” until your elbows “break the plane,” which means go above parallel with your back. You can rest in a position that’s very much like yoga’s downward-facing dog.

The standards concerning form are seldom well-observed. It’s annoying.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]louiek wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]

Which branch? And are pushups done as strict as Swhole does his? I mean, pushups are important, but from what I’ve seen pushups are generally triceps parallel to the ground, then press until completely locked out.[/quote]

Army.

We have a two-minute pushup event as a part of our physical fitness test. Basically, you have to keep your body in a straight line, feet one foot apart or less, and hands on the ground at all times. You have to lower your body “as a single unit” until your elbows “break the plane,” which means go above parallel with your back. You can rest in a position that’s very much like yoga’s downward-facing dog.

The standards concerning form are seldom well-observed. It’s annoying.[/quote]

I know what you mean. Completing a workout or test while doing everything correct right along with a bunch of other people who cheated the entire way. Then they have the nerve to go “Man that was easy, I must be in better shape than you.”

^
kinda like lance and all those other clowns in the tour that cheat!!!

[quote]In10s wrote:

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
…I wonder what you would have to give up to be able to that. [/quote]

I’m not sure I understand…?[/quote]

Assuming that there is a limit to the number of things one can make progress at, and that 100 pushups in a single set is some serious work requiring a commitment of time and energy. What would one not train, in order to increase their commitment to the quest.

Pushups?..that’s cool
who here can do 100 clean, parallel bar dips

I used to do 100 pushups in a row… When I weighed 130lbs and did them every single morning. Form was fairly decent, although my chest didn’t touch the ground on every rep and I did them rapidly. high rep push ups are a serious cardio challenge. If it takes you 1s up, 1 down and no rest (which is pretty quick), that’s 3:20 minutes of strenuous activity. Running half a mile at max speed is easier.

[quote]Guerrier wrote:
Pushups?..that’s cool
who here can do 100 clean, parallel bar dips[/quote]

Parallel bar dips?.. that’s cool
who here can do 100 clean, hand stand presses

[quote]louiek wrote:
who here can do 100 clean, hand stand presses[/quote]

Hand stand presses?..that’s cool
who here can do 100 clean, muscle ups

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
I used to do 100 pushups in a row… When I weighed 130lbs and did them every single morning. Form was fairly decent, although my chest didn’t touch the ground on every rep and I did them rapidly. high rep push ups are a serious cardio challenge. If it takes you 1s up, 1 down and no rest (which is pretty quick), that’s 3:20 minutes of strenuous activity. Running half a mile at max speed is easier.[/quote]

Pretty much the same here.
Didn’t do them every day but eventually I repped out 100. And was still a weakling, albeit a tough weakling who could also run around the park for hours.
It was an accomplishment I guess, still:
If only I had access to a forum like T-Nation with guys like BlueCollarTr8n back then.

i seroiusly doubt anyone here can do 1/3 of what you asked. 100 dips, or 100 muscleups or 100 handstand presses.

it’s, like, a joke, brah

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:

[quote]louiek wrote:
who here can do 100 clean, hand stand presses[/quote]

Hand stand presses?..that’s cool
who here can do 100 clean, muscle ups[/quote]

Muscle ups?..that’s cool
who here can do 100 clean, one arm chins?

Schwarzfahrer

how many can you do? the handstand pushups, dips, or muscleups.

36 dips is my best. going all the way down then lockout at top. no place to do muscleups and i never tried a handstand pushup