100 Push-ups Pr Day / Weights

Greetings there. First a little about me. I am 14 years old, still young. I am though, already quite interrested in working out. I am 175 centimeters high, and I weight around 70 Kg. Usally I train strength with some weights that I have laying around, they have 12 kg on them. 12Kg x 2 weights then. Anyway, lately I’ve also started doing 100 push ups a day. My little rule is that I have to do 100 per day. I can take as many breaks as I wish, and do them as fast / slow as I wish. Though they all have to be real push ups. I’ve already gotten the tip that I should take the first 10 real slowly. But apart from that I was wondering: How can I maximize the workout on these 100 pushups? Strength wise, that is.

*Should I do 10 * 10? 50 * 2? (I usally do 33 * 3 or 50 * 2.)
*What time at the day should I do them on?
*Perhaps I should take breaks every other day? Would that make the training for effective?

Any tips are welcomed!

-Tmmmey

PS: I do not live in an english speaking country, so please excuse all spelling and grammar flaws and mistakes.

Thought I’d add another question. I have some weights at home, two, at 12Kg each. I do not have a bench. But I could make one with my sheet and nighttable if nesssesary. Call it a beginnger’s bench. I was wondering if anyone has any good idea’s for new excersises with them? Anything? I only have the weights, and not anythin else.

They look like this, but with 12 Kg on each.

http://www.btinternet.com/~fireballxl5/sports/pics/weights.jpg

You have to find ways to make an exercise more difficult in order to improve. Most people here wouldn’t reccomend 100 push-ups a day as the best program for becoming strong, but let’s talk about that since it seems to interest you.

First of all, perfect your form. On each push-up, lower yourself until your chest brushes the ground first (not your head, and make sure you go all the way down each rep). When you come up, never come up so far that your elbows are in the “locked” position; keep your arms very slightly bent even at the top of the movement. Doing it this way keeps steady pressure on your chest and is much more challenging. Work on lowering down very slowly, about 4 seconds, (until your chest touches the ground) and rising up very quickly (but not straightening your arms completely.) A good goal to work towards (over the long term) is completing the full 100 with this perfect form. Everyday, see how many repetions you can accomplish with this form before you need to take a break, recording your progress everyday.

Good luck!

Maybe you could also try to vary your arms. Say, close grip, medium grip, and wide grip. This will work your chest in diferent ways. Most on this site will prefer you to do a more complete workout than just pushups. Perhaps you can add some chin-ups. Do as many as you can and try to workup to doing 50 reps at a time.

This will take a while and works numerous muscle groups, mainly your back. Try to incorporate some legs too. Many will agree that squats are the best overall workout to have in any routine.

Squats are known as a core movement and works many muscle groups. If you dont have access to a gym or a squat rack, get creative. At the age you are, i am assuming you cant buy a squat rack or join a gym, so maybe a couple of 5 or 10 gallon buckets filled with sand and tapped to something.

HTH and good luck. Someone will be adding diet type of responses soon. EAT, EAT, EAT a lot to grow.

Exellent help. Thanks a lot guys. This is very constructive. Any help at all is good! :smiley: I usally work out with weights too, when I do my pushups. But I don’t when I am feeling tired, exhaused, when I am sleeping over at friends, etc. But that’s what’s so good about pushups.

You can do them anywhere. Therefore I’m asking how to make those better. I don’t always work out with weights, but I try once I do my pushups. To do some weight training too. Again: Very good help. I’d never expect two so great replies.

I try to eat as much protein as possible, I eat about 5-10 eggs a week, and eat quite a bit of meat, also I drink atleast two large glasses of milk every single day.

-Tmmmey

hah ayour english is better than mine.

Push ups are awsome. I do them because they drastically improve my speed in punching. I do 3 variations of pushups, 50 a piece. Narrow, Wide and chest. You definetly feel it in your chest and arms quickly.

body weight exersises are great strength builders for someone your age. applying correct form now will help you incorporate this into a weighted program.
varying hand position will allow you to hit different muscle areas and make the workout more intense. dive bombers and hindu pushups will work the whole body and increase strength as well.

adding b/w squats, bridges, and core exersises can give you a great workout that you can do anywhere at anytime.
i have found that this type of work is best done in the morning as it will energize you for the day to come.

I have now changed my training from 100 push ups a day. To 30-50 intense pushups. Where I take a lot of time, and go all the way down, making sure I do not lock my shoulders, etc. I use good time, and seconds going up and down. Using different grips. Hoping this will give better results.

Howdy,

Making the pushups take longer isn’t the best way to keep gaining strength/muscle. The best is to apply as much force as possible, or to make them as difficult as possible by where you put your hands.

For example, start with regular pushups for 100, then move to pushups on your knuckles when you can do that, then fingertip pushups, then maybe pushups with your feet elevated, or clapping pushups, clapping pushups on knuckles, etc.

Make sure you use your weights to do some work for your rear shoulders and external rotators, too, to balance out the pushups.

Have a good one,

Dan

I have already reached the point were i can do 90-100 pushups, i feel that doing anymore high reps would just be for endurence and not strength.

so i have switched to doing plo pushups with different grips, and tuck planch pushups ( i can only do 3 with good forum…well 2 with good form)

You could try springing up as fast as possible see how high you can jump . Or even the jump clap

Try to achieve one armed pushups, some people may get pissed by me saying that but I think if you weigh 70 kilos it’s the same effort for you as benching 80-85 with some balancing work too

I think uneven pushups and assisted partial or negetive pushups shoul help you reach that once you have it it’s fairly impressive

Try some variations:
Close hand (thumbs touching) normal width, wide hand push ups.
Elevate your feet (on a bench, charis, stairs etc)

Pushups with one hand elevated (on a book/ medicine ball).
Pushups with hands gripping a barbell for instability to stimulate stabalizer muscle groups.
Handstand/ wall pushups
Pushups with hands staggered (one arm by your shoulder, one by your waist)
Seal pushups / dands.

Hey, good to see you getting started !

May I reccomend, in addition to push-ups, chin-ups and squats/lunges among other things as well ? Back extensions while laying on your stomach as well.

I enjoy using a ‘pyramid’ set style which can be done upwards or downwards in reps, with or without a partner.

i.e.

Push ups are only effective for a limited population, those between 2-3 months of age and around 100 years. Outside of that range, push ups are relatively worthless.
Here is what you are going to get when you ask any “what is best for…” questions. What are your goals?
In any case, find a place to do recerse rows and make sure you do them set for set, rep for rep with your push ups.

I dissagree , scrawny kids theese days can hardly do 20 to faliure that’s good enough for hypotrophy,

anyway even an avrage who who benches around 200 vould find a variation that is somewhat chalenging for him

Don’t ignore other great body-weight exercises such reverse push-ups, pull-ups, chin-ups, dips, one-legged squats, lunges, bulgarian split-squats.

Your motivation to work out is great at your age. However, do try to incorporate some of the other exercises listed above. They should really help.

Thanks for good help everyone! Does anyone have any eatings tips too?

As for goals I don’t really have any particular, except from increasing my strength. I might join a gym this summer holiday too, hopefully.

Does anyone know any places where I can find some easy steps to do all those other excersises(misspelled?) that you speak so warmly off. I am sure that I know how they are done, but a few of the terms are unkown to me in english.

:smiley:

You can look the exercises up on www.google.com

The lower body exercises (lunges, bulgarian split-squat, single-leg squats) you can do in your room. Pull-ups, chin-ups can be done virtually anywhere. Reverse push-ups can be done at home too with a little ingenuity. The dip is probably the only exercise wherein you’re going to need a dipping station to properly do.

As for eating advice here’s a quote form Dr. John Berardi’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutrition Programs

1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.

2. Eat complete (containing all the essential amino acids), lean protein with each meal.

3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.

4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.

5. Ensure that 25-35% of your energy intake comes from fat, with your fat intake split equally between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).

6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea.

7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).

Well for you I’m pretty sure you can ignore number 4 and get your carbohydrates from foods such as pasta, whole wheat bread, oatmeal, high fiber breakfast cereals, whole wheat tortillas/pitas, rice, potatos, beans and legumes, etc. And as for number 6, I’m pretty sure you should go ahead and guzzle milk as well.

Good luck