T Nation

100 Push-Ups in 100 Seconds

I would like to be able to do 100 push ups in 100 seconds. My first trial run I started losing the 1 per sec rate around 60, so I have a lonnnnnng way to go. Ignoring speed, I can't see myself being able to do anymore than 70 straight right now. Training towards this kind of goal is completely new to me, and I'd be happy to hear any input as to the best approach. Thanks!

That just seems crazy dude. Good on you for trying it, when you get there, post up a vid

I can do 85 in 100s... tip: don't do them consecutively. rest in downward dog position.

if you do them consecutively.. you should reach 120 or so.. therefore pace a bit.

Honestly the best I have ever done on push ups for time was 115 in 120 seconds. I think the key is to not worry about doing one per second but just exploding in the beginning and going as fast as you can.

Martin Rooney recently did 100 reps in two minutes.

You'll see he banged out the first 60 reps in 45 seconds. Instead of pacing yourself one rep per second and hoping to maintain that pace throughout, concentrate on knocking out good fast reps (without hitting failure), taking a mini-rest, and repeating until done.

Another strategy would be similar to training for a decreased mile run time. Break the total goal into smaller chunks, let's say 5x20 push-ups, and over time, decrease the rest periods between those sets until they're as close to one straight set as possible. I'd actually train like this first, using Rooney's method (front-loading the higher rep "sets") on occasional testing days.

Related side note: Yesterday, Rooney did 1,000 push-ups in just under an hour. B-e-a-s-t.

I disagree. Why keep the muscles under any tension when the end goal is maximum reps in a given amount of time? It makes more sense to use the rest periods to their fullest, especially since any rest will be limited anyhow.

^Chris, are you saying just rest face down?

I was teaching a tabata class last week with 30 second work periods. The 16th exercise, 4th round I did 50 in 30 seconds.

I am not sure what I could have done with an additional minute but I think it is possible.

On a related note, I have decided to do 500 pushups throughout the day while at work. 50 - 100 pushups here and there only take a total of 20 - 30 minmutes max. However I may have a rest period of 30 - 90 mins.

Dropped face down kissing the dirt, kneeling back like Rooney did in the video, whatever it is to get as close to "total" rest between mini-sets.

In that two-minute video, you'll see that he hops back to a kneeling position for as little as 3-5 seconds towards the end, trying to squeeze any bit of quick recovery he can to keep going. On test days, or when you're really going for a max, I'd use a similar technique.

Thanks Shane! That's really good advice. I think I can handle the 5x20 idea. The reason I tried pacing myself the first time, is because in the past when I have gone more for speed, the hypoxia kicks in so much sooner and seems all that more debilitating once I rest and go for more reps. I'll give it a try though...nothing to lose.

As part of their PT testing, recruits at a SoCal police academy do max push-ups in 2 minutes. That's similar to your goal. Almost all the of the class will end up between 75-120 reps after a few months. The way they get there is to do a bunch of reps (400-600) 5 days/week in sets of 25.

You can do something similar by 'greasing the groove'. A simple thing that gets suggested as pre-academy work is while watching TV do a set every commercial break. It's pretty easy to get in several hundred in a few hours of evening TV. You can also use any natural break like top of the inning (baseball) or change of possession (football). Even in a shirt-and-tie office, dive under the desk every hour on the hour for a set. With 25 reps, you don't get sweaty and if anybody asks tell them it's your version of a cigarette break.

As for pacing, I see the same thing Chris Colucci pointed out. It's not a consistent rhythm. It tends to be fast and furious for the first portion then a series of smaller sets and breaks ('resting' in the up position).