100% New to Weightlifting

Well, I didn’t know. I only used them for workout exercises examples and did my own research on how each exercise effects my different muscle types. Etc. and made it based off of the information I gathered. But that’s good to know that they’re not good websites. Besides T-Nation do you go anywhere else for information?

Thank you for the valuable information haha! Will look into it.

Just a heads up that one of the guys giving you advise is a or was a personal trainer. Another is a nationally ranked lighter weight strongman.

3 Likes

Because based on the workout you posted, you’re under the assumption that more is better. It’s not necessarily true. It may work for a while, but sooner or later you simply won’t be able to recover from it. Why do 4 to 5 movements for triceps when you can have the same effect with 1 to 2? Why spend 1.5 hours in the gym if you can get more quality work in 45 minutes to an hour? Why spend 6 days when you can get the same work done in 3 days and use the 4 days to recover? You mentioned you want to gain strength, muscle mass, and athleticism but you’re training like a gym bro. All the advice listed above hold water based on the goal you stated. Look at the training logs of those giving you advice and you’ll be jealous of what they lift

PS for the record I don’t think anyone was being aggressive with you

Nice to see you around @shralpinist

Tbh, I’m having a hard time finding training logs :pensive:

Huh? Just click on the “Training Logs” section on this site. You could also click on the name of a user and check the topics they’ve created. Their log is usually the one with the most replies/likes

Because you keep saying weightlifting , which to me and the majority of people on this sight, we associate the term weightlifting to Olympic lifting … lifting weights is usually bodybuilding. You need to choose a specific goal. Lots of good information on here already, and I agree Wendlers 5/3/1 with the BBB template would do you well if you want size & strength. Fat loss / Muscle gain in natural athletes is more to do with rest & nutrition than an actual workout plan aslong as you stick to progressive overload and compound movements you will get stronger and put on size, its science bruh!

The workout you posted … this is something that the professional bodybuilders with more testosterone in their jaw line than you have in your whole body follow, as due to the gear they are synthesising protein 24/7 so only need to hit a muscle once a week hard, us naturals need to hit them often , and hard enough that can be recovered from.#
You haven’t done enough research, Stick around this site and read aticles and you will gain more knowledge than your average local PT

TJ

2 Likes

Thank you! You make a good point, I guess I should do more research about the effects of muscle recovery.

1 Like

lol. dude, we all understand what he means. You’re the only one here picking at his misuse of the word. He’s using the word the way most beginners do. And he’s posting in the beginners section. Cut him some slack.

Not really. That’d be like telling a 6 year old they can only play one sport. As a beginner, it doesn’t hurt to explore a lot of different things. No need to specialize from the start. A well rounded program will promote all the goals he wants to chase. Every good beginner ‘strongman’ program out there is actually more bodybuilding-focused. No matter what the end goal is, if you’re starting from nothing, you just need to add some muscle, and you don’t need to be hitting very low reps in training. Goal-specific training templates make more sense later.

agree completely here. That’s absolutely what this is all about.

I lol’ed.

3 Likes

Working off proven programs is a good place to start. You can get mad gains and eventually work with different trainers (which is what I did). The guys you’re asking probably will give more of a professional opinion for a fee.

Making your own routine isnt the end of the world, if you have the patience to figure things out by trial and error.

1 Like

…And possibly some injuries…
knocks on wood

2 Likes

Oh thanks! Yeah, so far the workouts I’ve been doing are super fun and challenging. It’s really motivating me to want to learn/do more. Today was biceps and back:

Dumbbell single row,
Dumbbell shrug,
Lat-pulldown,
Deadlifts,
Kettlebell swing,
Reverse pec-fly,

Incline dumbbell Curl,
Zottman Curl,
Seated row,
Reverse Curl straight bar.

Doing these workouts really showed me that I have a long way to go in like developing to where I want to be. (I know I’m kinda commenting to one person but this is just a general comment.) I don’t know, this is super fun and I feel really good afterwards. I just need to continue to work on form and strengthen.

There’s personal trainers at the gym I goto and a bunch of other weightlifters and physical therapist. I usually ask about my form and watch videos on how to do stuff properly. I’m starting on lower weights and increasing reps to ensure I get form down to decrease the chance of injury. Plus, I have done some of these exercises before in football and track so I already have an idea of what I’m doing. I’m just extremely less experienced then you guys.

I’m not sure if I responded to this question but the workouts I picked out are to focus on different muscle groups. Like there’s 3 parts of your triceps and granted you do workout your entire triceps when working out… certain workouts emphasizes more on the different parts. I mean, I might be wrong but that’s why I did it that way. I don’t think more is better, I just want to make sure I’m definitely hitting the muscle groups by compound and targeted workouts. I also don’t mind spending a little extra time in the gym to learn more about my body and what I can do.

I believe I found them! Do people usually post pictures and videos? I’d love to see what some people have developed physique wise so I can set better goals and possibly follow in their footsteps.

Thank you!

Definitely! I learn better as I go. Haha. I’m just being careful to not cause injury.

It’s cool and all, but that’s alot of exercise selection for one day and kinda out of order. And for a Back and biceps workout, it turned out to be way more biceps than back. I’d prioritize rowing and pulling over any bicep stuff.

This forum is more about learning how to actually get bigger, stronger, leaner, etc. If you want to learn just about science I would suggest a textbook. That foldaway chair would help too.

Also, we aren’t aggressive. We’re just honest, and in most cases a bunch more experienced than you are.

2 Likes

If reeeallly want to ignore us and do push/pull legs split, do it like this below and just do legs on legs day …give your upper body a rest:

Perfect world I recommend tried and true 5x5 based template like this below for 8-12 weeks then move on to 5/3/1…

If want to ‘push it’ try this…

Yeah if want to put on 50-70lbs of mass(your stated goal) forget about this for a long time and just focus on getting like a 600lb deadlift and bull strong on a couple press variations, everything else is just assistance work

3 Likes