100 Greatest Songs of Past 25 Years

Interesting some of the selections of the various artists.

Peter Gabriel: “In Your Eyes” was selected, but not “Steam” or “Big Time.” While I really like “In Your Eyes,” I figured these others would make the list ahead of it.

Hall & Oates: “I Can’t Go For That” – HUH??? How about “Man Eater”?

And how could they leave off STP – “Plush”?

Pink Floyd – “On the Turning Away,” “Division Bell” and “Learning to Fly.”

And “Enjoy the Silence” and “Your Own Personal Jesus” by Depeche Mode.

Yeah, VH1. The absolute authority on all that is music.

New Order? XTC?

You forgot to mention Kajagoogoo, Flock of Seaguls and the Thompson Twins. C’mon… Anything from the 80’s New Wave scene is pure piss save Howard Jones… XTC’s “Dear God” song drives me nuts.

Good string…

Just my two cents…

What ever happened to Pantera’s Hollow?

Oh wait, that’s never made a list?

Nevermind.

English man in New York!!!
Where is English man in New York???

Britney Spears makes it but phil doesn’t? There are all of 15 worth while songs on this list, the rest is just sales. I’m suprised New Kids didn’t make it given the other crap that did… (extra credit if you can stand up right now and do the new kids’ dance… oh the shame)

The whole purpose of a list like this is to spark contraversy. They were obviuosly very successful.

BradTGIF - comparing New Order and XTC with something like Kajagoogoo is grounds for you to be lobotomised :slight_smile:

New Order is one of the most important bands in music history if only [huge understatement] for pioneering electronic dance music above and beyond music by Kraftwerk et al. Calling them New Wave, is like assessing Paul McCartney’s contribution to music on the basis of 'Mull of bloody Kintyre".

XTC - has it’s roots in post-punk rather than New Wave, they’re more correctly contemporaries of groups like the Psychedelic Furs. You don’t have to like their songs :).

Sure, there were some truly crap New Wave groups -, like KJ, but there were some good ones too. Soft Cell, Yazoo,

• but isn’t that the same of any genre?

If it’s sheer numbers of weeks at number one where is Thriller? They were talking about this list today on Rush Limbaugh (some other guy was subbing though), I can’t stand Nirvana now, and I couldn’t stand them when they were ‘revolutionizing the music world’ gag

Am I alone in thinking that considering this is a VH1 list, the Backstreet Bboys & Hanson’s MMMbop should be much higher on the list?

Girls who were 12 when MMMbop came out should now be old enough to be in the VH1 demographic, thus its place at #98 is dubious at best!

C’mon, if applying the cantometric system of aural analyzation the smooth Backstreet harmonies signify a more advanced stage than the primitive & brutal vocal stylings of Metallica.

bwahahaha

thanks to this thread for bringing humour into my day!