T Nation

100 Day Pull-Up Challenge


#1

Has anyone done it? Basically add 1 rep per day until you hit 100. No real rep scheme or amount of sets, just get your daily total in. I'm on day 64, and my lats are perpetually sore....terribly sore. It takes me 5 minutes of hanging from the bar just to get them warmed up so I can do my first rep/set. Curious if anyone else has ran into this, and if you think I should abandon the challenge. I think The accumulated volume is starting to be an issue. Thanks for the advice. Btw, I can do ~15 pull-ups fresh.


#2

Last January I did CT’s Chinup challenge for 5 weeks and totaled 2374 chinups, all with 35 lbs extra weight added. You get used to it.


#3

What is the goal of your training?


#4

[quote]IronOne wrote:
Has anyone done it? Basically add 1 rep per day until you hit 100. No real rep scheme or amount of sets, just get your daily total in. I’m on day 64, and my lats are perpetually sore…terribly sore. It takes me 5 minutes of hanging from the bar just to get them warmed up so I can do my first rep/set. Curious if anyone else has ran into this, and if you think I should abandon the challenge. I think The accumulated volume is starting to be an issue. Thanks for the advice. Btw, I can do ~15 pull-ups fresh.[/quote]

Keep training, you will adapt, guaranteed.


#5

My worthless opinion: Screw the challenge. Take a week off. Then do pullups twice a week with good form. Progress to a max set of 20 or 25 and maintain it using 5x10 or 4x12 or whatever. Beyond that who cares? Challenges that motivate something important are good, but some challenges are just not the right thing at the right time for you.


#6

[quote]thegymismyshrink wrote:
My worthless opinion: Screw the challenge. Take a week off. Then do pullups twice a week with good form. Progress to a max set of 20 or 25 and maintain it using 5x10 or 4x12 or whatever. Beyond that who cares? Challenges that motivate something important are good, but some challenges are just not the right thing at the right time for you.[/quote]

Its not like he’s trying to win an Olympic medal. Anyone not severely overweight should be able to train up to where they can do 100 pull-ups in a day.


#7

I done 100 a day for 6 months solid and all I ended up with was some beastly lats and a completely fucked up elbow.

Good luck OP!


#8

Anyone should be able to train until they can do 100 pullups in a day - which I can easily do myself - fine. The idea that this particular challenge is the best way to get there is what I would dispute. I didn’t get there by doing a lot of them every day, and a lot of people who do end up with elbow pain. Most people on here don’t train anything the same way everyday - why do it with high reps of pullups ???


#9

My coach, a former 5.14 climber, once told me that only a very small minority can get away with doing pull ups every day. Even when he was climbing at his peak, he took rest days.

Most who attempt something like what the op is describing end up with elbow issues. But hey, if you want to meet some quota, knock yourself out.


#10

[quote]MinotaurXXX wrote:
My coach, a former 5.14 climber, once told me that only a very small minority can get away with doing pull ups every day. Even when he was climbing at his peak, he took rest days.

Most who attempt something like what the op is describing end up with elbow issues. But hey, if you want to meet some quota, knock yourself out.
[/quote]
Agreed. That is why the CT chinup challenge lasts only 4 weeks, and you still only do pullups 6 days a week. But I did gain over 1/4 inch on my arms in the time frame.


#11

[quote]MinotaurXXX wrote:
My coach, a former 5.14 climber, once told me that only a very small minority can get away with doing pull ups every day. Even when he was climbing at his peak, he took rest days.

Most who attempt something like what the op is describing end up with elbow issues. But hey, if you want to meet some quota, knock yourself out.
[/quote]

Would have to disagree on that one. If you do them close to failure every day without conditioning for it, you can definitely get overuse injuries.

But if you build up the work capacity before trying to do max or near max reps each set you’ll be fine. About 4 or 5 guys I train with routinely do over 100 pull-ups every day and we’re not some freaks, we’re just a bunch of average bros.

When I started doing 100 reps a day, I could do about 20 reps in one set, but just did 10 sets of 10. Never had an elbow issue. In the past, when I only did pull-ups 2x a week working to or close to failure, that’s when I had tendinitis.

Perhaps the program is the issue here, not the goal.


#12

Also, climbing is very different from doing pull-ups. Much more technique dependent and way more strain on the joints which do need time to recover.


#13

[quote]BCpowder wrote:
Also, climbing is very different from doing pull-ups. Much more technique dependent and way more strain on the joints which do need time to recover.[/quote]
What experience do you have re climbing and training for climbing?


#14

[quote]BCpowder wrote:

[quote]MinotaurXXX wrote:
My coach, a former 5.14 climber, once told me that only a very small minority can get away with doing pull ups every day. Even when he was climbing at his peak, he took rest days.

Most who attempt something like what the op is describing end up with elbow issues. But hey, if you want to meet some quota, knock yourself out.
[/quote]

Would have to disagree on that one. If you do them close to failure every day without conditioning for it, you can definitely get overuse injuries.

But if you build up the work capacity before trying to do max or near max reps each set you’ll be fine. About 4 or 5 guys I train with routinely do over 100 pull-ups every day and we’re not some freaks, we’re just a bunch of average bros.

When I started doing 100 reps a day, I could do about 20 reps in one set, but just did 10 sets of 10. Never had an elbow issue. In the past, when I only did pull-ups 2x a week working to or close to failure, that’s when I had tendinitis.

Perhaps the program is the issue here, not the goal. [/quote]
How long have you and your buds been doing hundred pullups daily?

And what experience do you have training people from diverse backgrounds?


#15

[quote]MinotaurXXX wrote:

[quote]BCpowder wrote:
Also, climbing is very different from doing pull-ups. Much more technique dependent and way more strain on the joints which do need time to recover.[/quote]
What experience do you have re climbing and training for climbing?[/quote]
Personally I would say climbing is less stressful on my elbows, but neither have ever given me problems.


#16

Every other factor about your training,diet ,and recovery was the same and you got elbow pain?


#17

[quote]MinotaurXXX wrote:
How long have you and your buds been doing hundred pullups daily?

And what experience do you have training people from diverse backgrounds?[/quote]
Chia’s probably averaged over 100 pullups per day for the better part of 2 years lol. I’ve slacked off some lately, but there was a stretch of several months where I would at least hit 100 every day. Hell sometimes I’ll do as many as 180 in a single workout. I still knock out 100 in a workout pretty often when I have the time to throw em in. I did rock climbing for years starting in high school as well. None of it has ever bothered my elbows.

I’ve honestly just never heard about all these elbow problems for people training pullups anywhere but the internet. Anyone I’ve seen in person work up to a ton of pullups has been just fine. I mean experiences vary, but I would be quite reticent to say a “majority” of people would have elbow problems.


#18

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]MinotaurXXX wrote:
How long have you and your buds been doing hundred pullups daily?

And what experience do you have training people from diverse backgrounds?[/quote]
Chia’s probably averaged over 100 pullups per day for the better part of 2 years lol. I’ve slacked off some lately, but there was a stretch of several months where I would at least hit 100 every day. Hell sometimes I’ll do as many as 180 in a single workout. I still knock out 100 in a workout pretty often when I have the time to throw em in. I did rock climbing for years starting in high school as well. None of it has ever bothered my elbows.

I’ve honestly just never heard about all these elbow problems for people training pullups anywhere but the internet. Anyone I’ve seen in person work up to a ton of pullups has been just fine. I mean experiences vary, but I would be quite reticent to say a “majority” of people would
have elbow problems.[/quote]

well its obvious you and your friend are hardcore lifters and you put gym time at a priority. for others the weight room is just one aspect of our universe.

I’ve tried that grease the groove approach and I definitely ended up with elbow issues. I’ll also take the word of a legit 5.14 climber whose livelihood depends on getting people from all walks of life results without hurting them.

currently I do about ten pull up sessions in a month. and I can more than hold my own if not outright beat most in pull ups for a max weight and reps in sub max weight.

to me it’s about making progress in the most efficient manner possible.


#19

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]MinotaurXXX wrote:
How long have you and your buds been doing hundred pullups daily?

And what experience do you have training people from diverse backgrounds?[/quote]
Chia’s probably averaged over 100 pullups per day for the better part of 2 years lol. I’ve slacked off some lately, but there was a stretch of several months where I would at least hit 100 every day. Hell sometimes I’ll do as many as 180 in a single workout. I still knock out 100 in a workout pretty often when I have the time to throw em in. I did rock climbing for years starting in high school as well. None of it has ever bothered my elbows.

I’ve honestly just never heard about all these elbow problems for people training pullups anywhere but the internet. Anyone I’ve seen in person work up to a ton of pullups has been just fine. I mean experiences vary, but I would be quite reticent to say a “majority” of people would have elbow problems.[/quote]

Okay, but if you had a elbow problem or been sore for weeks straight would you still never take a day off?


#20

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Okay, but if you had a elbow problem or been sore for weeks straight would you still never take a day off?[/quote]
If you have any joint problem you gotta take some rest on whatever caused it and give it time to dissipate.

As for being sore for weeks straight, that should be impossible if your frequency is high enough lol.