T Nation

100 Carb Cure - Sources

My "meat head" best friend (no worries that is an enduring term), decided to help me get my act together and put me on Chris Shugart's 100g cure plan. I'm only on day 10 and I feel lots better. As a person who LOVES to cook, I am very happy I have Dr. Beradi's cookbook, Chris provides recipes on this site and in the forums I discovered yourlighterside.com.

I have 40lbs of fat to lose and I've refused to weigh myself except once a month to check progress as I figure the mirror and my pants will tell the story. I'm severely lacking in patience so I'm focusing on cooking and logging right now. That is something I can control. The rest will take care of itself.

Anyway, I haven't made a trip to Whole Foods yet, but was wondering what grocery stores you all like to frequent? What are your go to snacks? And,I love eggs and bacon but after about 5 days I'm ready for something else for breakfast any thoughts?

snacks: hummus, cocoa roasted almonds, hard boiled eggs, greek yogurt, protein shake.
meals:
tonight was steamed veggies with soy sauce, brown rice, boiled chicken breast, and a protein shake
I make burritos with lean ground beef, black beans, green chili, low fat cheese, whole grain tortilla, and a protein shake.
breakfast is usually 3 eggs fried in olive oil with salsa on them, and a protein shake
Sometimes I'll eat 3 hard boiled eggs and a protein shake
If I'm feeling crazy I'll take the hard boiled eggs and mix the yolks with hot sauce and olive oil and make deviled eggs and have a protein shake with it
Tuna and an avocado is pretty good with a protein shake. (makes a mean tuna salad sandwich)
Sometimes I make an omelet with some diced ham and lowfat cheese with a protein shake. (I'm not gonna give ya many ideas without eggs)

For breakfast: try cooking oatmeal and adding some protein powder and peanut butter to it. pretty solid.

"pancakes" - you might want to play around with the egg ratio, but this is what I've used and it's turned out pretty decent - 2 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1/2c oats, cinnamon. blend all that together, cook like a regular pancake. you can also add in extras here depending on your macro needs: berries, banana, nuts, PB, etc etc
cook up some turkey bacon along side it and boom.

some kind of scramble without the eggs is alright too..steak/bacon/potatoes is my go-to

I've recently started eating cottage cheese with just about anything...

great protein source and mixes well with everything i've tried so far, as well as being low kcals!

so far i've tried it with:

sliced banana
bacon
chocolate whey
chicken breast

I'll continue to experiment but the above works well. Another little snack i go for is natural peanut butter on rice cakes, taste yummy and you get some quality carbs and fat in there.

Otherwise just the usual, porridge, loads of eggs, yogurt (probiotic) otherwise its not worth it etc...

Greek yogurt (Vanilla or strawberry), watch portion control because it has a decent amount of sugar. I add some strawberries and cook an omelet on the side. Been eating it for past couple months for my breakfast, and it's still delicious. Could obviously toss some oatmeal in there if you want, instead of the yogurt.

Or get plain and add fruit

I go to whatever grocery store is having the best sales.

Breakfast foods I like:
Greek yogurt with honey
Cottage cheese and light yogurt (I like Yoplait light, less sugar)
Cottage cheese and smoked salmon (kind of a Sunday brunch item)

French Toast, made with light bread and extra eggs. Add vanilla extract and cinnamon to the eggs before dipping the bread. Let the bread soak longer then normal to get extra egg in it. Then scoop up the bread in a way that keeps the eggs stuck to it. I usually go through 2-3 eggs per piece of french toast. (no syrup just organic butter)

"Man-Cakes" As described above but my recipe is, 1 cup oat meal 4 whole eggs and 2 egg whites, 1tsp cinnamon. I call them man-cakes to get my nephews to eat them. They thought they were gross until I changed the name, now they request them every time I babysit. I make half sized cakes for them. The kids also add syrup but I just do butter, salt and pepper.

Also good to put some protein in those egg and oatmeal pancakes. not to much or it will start to taste dry.

try no bake protein bars 10 scoops of protein (any flavor) 3 cups of oats one package of fat free instant jello pudding mix (any flavor) and half a cup of milk. seems like not enough milk but keep stirring it will stick anf form a paste. the less milk the better. spread them on a pan let them sit in the firdge over night they are kinda sticky flip them over and they will dry on both sides. you can always add some almonds to. takes 10 min to make they taste good and you can take them anywhere.

Also good to put some protein in those egg and oatmeal pancakes. not to much or it will start to taste dry.

try no bake protein bars 10 scoops of protein (any flavor) 3 cups of oats one package of fat free instant jello pudding mix (any flavor) and half a cup of milk. seems like not enough milk but keep stirring it will stick anf form a paste. the less milk the better. spread them on a pan let them sit in the firdge over night they are kinda sticky flip them over and they will dry on both sides. you can always add some almonds to. takes 10 min to make they taste good and you can take them anywhere.

sometimes i'll use cottage cheese as salad dressing.

"If I'm feeling crazy I'll take the hard boiled eggs and mix the yolks with hot sauce and olive oil and make deviled eggs and have a protein shake with it"

Could you be more specific with measurements for making these deviled eggs? they sound awesome

Thanks for all the ideas. Love the deviled eggs idea as well as the no bake protein bars. The BF and I have fantasy football draft tonight so I'm going to make cauliflower tater tots with a receipt I found on yourlighterside.com. Plan on making the oopsie pizza crust this week. It is football season.

I use very little olive oil. maybe a tbsp for 6 yolks and a crapload of Louisiana sauce. They are good, but I haven't been measuring.

I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the reply

Break the thought of "breakfast foods". Eat a steak for breakfast. Or nuke some frozen broccoli with some garlic powder and add a can of tuna.

Plus, this means you could eat bacon and eggs for dinner.

Yeah, I always just mix stuff up and see if it tastes good. That one was a winner. FYI cheesytunabeans is not near as tastey as it sounds.

Brinner? I could have Brinner every day?