T Nation

10 x 3 Training?

guys i have a question about the well known, and obviously extremely effective 10 x 3 training program. should i be doing this in combination with other training “recipies” such as 5 x 5, or should i just do 10 x 3 for a few weeks? also, how many times should i do 10 x 3 for any given excercise, eg. bench press. just go in, do your 10 x 3, and move on to another excercise? or maybe do it two or three times? im planning on starting this next week, and some help would be nice. thanks.

I would use an upper/lower split and do a 10x3 upper day and 10x3 lower day then something lighter for the remaining lower and upper day, look at ABBH I, great routine.

[quote]ProfessorCHAOS96 wrote:
guys i have a question about the well known, and obviously extremely effective 10 x 3 training program. should i be doing this in combination with other training “recipies” such as 5 x 5, or should i just do 10 x 3 for a few weeks? also, how many times should i do 10 x 3 for any given excercise, eg. bench press. just go in, do your 10 x 3, and move on to another excercise? or maybe do it two or three times? im planning on starting this next week, and some help would be nice. thanks.[/quote]

You shouldn’t do it with any other “recipe”, this should be the training routine you use, and that’s it.

For the quantity, 10 x 3 should be enough. 10 sets at 3 reps each is 30 reps total, which should be enough for one particular exercise, there should be no need to do it any more than that. For example you would do one ‘circuit’ of 10 x 3 for bench press, then move on to the next exercise.

Hope this helps.

I would do 10x3 then do something else, like a 4x8 or so. This way it will take your body longer to adapt compared to continually using the 10x3 format. Also, with it varying like that, you would see more gains.

Chad Waterbury popularized this protocol and has published several articles centered around this set/rep scheme with an 8x3 variation also thrown in, in later articles. A search through his articles should yield you answers to your questions. Good luck!

Suggest you have a look at this article:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=960811

Should put you on the right track.

alright, fulmen and tmoney1 just gave me two complete different answers… hah. which is which guys?

Read Waterbury.

Either one is fine. Remember, just do what is best suited for you. Just doing (for example) 10x3 bench, then moving onto 10x3 flyes, then 10x3 incline bench, et cetera will get your body accustomed to training with a 10x3 stimuli. Thus, my reasoning behind doing 10x3 in combination with other things to vary the type of stimulus you recieve (i.e. 10x3 on bench, 4x6 heavy flyes, 5x8 incline bench). Just vary your weight according to your volume.

I agree with Fulmen. Change it up and see how it works for you. Different set/rep schemes will work differently for everyone. Try each one and see which is most beneficial for you.

10x3 works pretty damn well for size and strength at the same time.