10 X 3 For Deadlift

how much rest between sets guys?

60 seconds I believe

[quote]DemiAjax wrote:
60 seconds I believe[/quote]

60 seconds is correct.

I just tried it today with 60 seconds rest and it was definetly a nice workout.

if you want another twist…

do them supersetted with weighted pullups.

that could be your whole workout on its own hahaha.

Or do them weighted chins supersetted with deadlifts… edt style (as many reps as possible with as little rest as possible in 15-20min)

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
if you want another twist…

do them supersetted with weighted pullups.

that could be your whole workout on its own hahaha.

Or do them weighted chins supersetted with deadlifts… edt style (as many reps as possible with as little rest as possible in 15-20min)[/quote]

^^^ Puke re: EDT plus deadlifts

I think it’d be better to superset deadlifts with bench press.

Either way, bring a bucket.

Its the morning after and I definetly should of stretched more because I am sore as hell haha.

I think it’s actually 70 seconds in the Waterbury Method, 60 seconds on 10x3 for bench and chins.

For me, I just don’t see the value in stretching before DLs, or any heavy lifting. Do you get to stretch before you move in real life?

Would I roll out bed and try to pull a PR in DL? Absolutely not. Certainly, move around, get loossened up if you feel tight, but stretch? Not for me.

Especially if you’re talking about stretching the hammies. Stretching a muscle makes it temporarily weaker. Why would you want to compromise the ability of the muscle your working to fully contract?

Maybe, if you’re talking about stretching an antagonist. Stretching the hip flexors, for example, could inhibit the body’s braking system allowing you to pull a bit more.

The body is weird though. I’ve read that stretching the hip flexors and calves will boost your bench press in the same way. Nothing intuitive about that. Haven’t tried it though, so I can’t speak to that.

As for staggered sets with the DL. I like overhead presses. Any kind. Moving in that same plane just works for me. Although, I’ve even done lateral raises. That’s like mixing the ying and yang of exercises.

And since people are talking about different methods of training the DL, I also like the max strength EDT method. Load about 90% 1RM, and pull 1 rep a minute, on the minute, for 15 minutes (This is also used in CW’s Single’s Club). Good stuff.

One more thing: Waterbury Walks are gold. See CW’s Total Triple Training.

[quote]bosox4L wrote:
Its the morning after and I definetly should of stretched more because I am sore as hell haha.[/quote]

i dont stretch pre workout either

id just do like 10 reps of 135 before going into the heavier weights 10X3

[quote]Chief wrote:
I’ve done it and liked it. Since you’re only doing 3 reps you can go a bit heavier. I suggest using a workout log if you aren’t already. It is always hard for me to remember how many sets I’ve done. Especially after heavy deadlifts.[/quote]

For the sake of keeping count when doing 10 sets of something I like to make a “gym abicus”. Get 4 2.5 plates and a 5lb and you can move them along a path to count up to 24 or so before you need more plates. Stupid things like this are how I burn my between sets time in the gym.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
thats exactly how i got such sexy traps… not to mention 4 wheels on my deadlift.[/quote]

4 per side? I ask because I am almost to three per side and my traps still suck.

A month of paired 10x3 with a few additional and higher rep exercises as finishers brought my biggest strength gains.

I paired weighted chins and dips, incline db press and rows,SLDL and full squats. 1 minute rest between each exercise, alternating exercises. Finishers included high rep ez curls, cable reverse curls, and pushdowns at reps of 12-15, single set and usually only one or two per session.

[quote]Tango-down wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:
thats exactly how i got such sexy traps… not to mention 4 wheels on my deadlift.

4 per side? I ask because I am almost to three per side and my traps still suck.[/quote]

Yeah Xen’s probably doing 4 plates a side~405lbs. Some people are more gentically gifted than others or have naturally well developed muscle groups. Also if you’re not even at 3 plates yet he probably has you by a good 100lbs. Just keep at it and the gains will come.

Yeah don’t worry there’s a pretty big difference between 3 plates per side and 4, and 5, etc.
Can’t wait 'till I get home in a week or so that’s when I’m starting 10x3 Deadlifts.

[quote]Z2nd_Comng wrote:
Tango-down wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:
thats exactly how i got such sexy traps… not to mention 4 wheels on my deadlift.

4 per side? I ask because I am almost to three per side and my traps still suck.

Yeah Xen’s probably doing 4 plates a side~405lbs. Some people are more gentically gifted than others or have naturally well developed muscle groups. Also if you’re not even at 3 plates yet he probably has you by a good 100lbs. Just keep at it and the gains will come.
[/quote]

I raw deadlift finishing singles of 325 at bw 175, and I don’t even look like I work out. Maybe 4 plates will be the charm, or I’ll have to take up isolation work!

Or work your way up to 5 plates . . . or do shrugs.

Back when I was doing 325 for singles I didn’t look like I worked out either.

[quote]DrVonNostrand wrote:

I raw deadlift finishing singles of 325 at bw 175, and I don’t even look like I work out. Maybe 4 plates will be the charm, or I’ll have to take up isolation work![/quote]

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
Back when I was doing 325 for singles I didn’t look like I worked out either.[/quote]

I wish I knew what that meant. I’m sometimes amazed at what many people on this site consider the “doesn’t look like he works out” look. :slight_smile:

[quote]bino wrote:
Why would you want to compromise the ability of the muscle your working to fully contract?
[/quote]
To avoid the possibility of injury.

Does stretching really cause your muscle to not fully contract???

Regardless, I personally stretch for a long period of time, something crazy like 10-20 minutes(when involving legs). I personally don’t mind compromising a little strength for the possibility of an injury. I think that not stretching before working out is just…too risky for me to try.