10 x 10 Squats

I remember something about 20 rep squats… yesterday I did 10 sets of 10 with only 225 and I usually do 225 for 2 sets of 10 everyday … not to build just to get myself going before my work out… this morning my legs are a little sore but I can tell it will be worst tomorrow.

My question is … wouldnt 10 x 10 be better than one set of 20 ?? I warmed up believe it or not with some parallel squats with 315 … only 3 sets of 3… made the 225 feel very light at first.

I also did the Hammer Iso Lat pull down with 2 <45s> and 1 <25> on each side for 6 sets of 6

Rear delt row with 250 for 2 sets of 15
and Bench with 225 x 5 245 x 3 255 x 2 245 x 3 225 x 5 205 x 12 and 185 x 15
Shrugs 85 pound dumbells for yep 10 x 10

That was my Tuesday work out Monday was light because I worked all nightbefore
Today will be Dead lifts 315 5 x 5 then leg curls and then about 4 exersises for the tris and 4 for the bis then I will be out of the gym for 3 days because of work…

[quote]OUToftheBOX wrote:
I remember something about 20 rep squats… yesterday I did 10 sets of 10 with only 225 and I usually do 225 for 2 sets of 10 everyday … not to build just to get myself going before my work out… this morning my legs are a little sore but I can tell it will be worst tomorrow.

My question is … wouldnt 10 x 10 be better than one set of 20 ?? I warmed up believe it or not with some parallel squats with 315 … only 3 sets of 3… made the 225 feel very light at first.

I also did the Hammer Iso Lat pull down with 2 <45s> and 1 <25> on each side for 6 sets of 6

Rear delt row with 250 for 2 sets of 15
and Bench with 225 x 5 245 x 3 255 x 2 245 x 3 225 x 5 205 x 12 and 185 x 15
Shrugs 85 pound dumbells for yep 10 x 10

That was my Tuesday work out Monday was light because I worked all nightbefore
Today will be Dead lifts 315 5 x 5 then leg curls and then about 4 exersises for the tris and 4 for the bis then I will be out of the gym for 3 days because of work…[/quote]

10x10 just seems extremely high volume, especially for a taxing movement like squats. Add in all of those other exercises you did, and thats a fuck-load of unnecessary volume.

You better give your muscles and CNS adequate time to recover. Doing squats one day, then deadlifts the next might not be the best idea anyone has ever had.

That said… 20 rep squats isnt one set of twenty reps at the same weight. The program calls for you to increase weight, and ultimately finish the program squatting your previous 5 RM 20 damn times.

10x10 is a waste of time and energy.

It’s probably not the wisest approach to take long-term, but one of my earliest exposures to lifting was doing the 10x10 method. I think that squatting for 10x10 taught me a lot about focus and fighting through a tough session.

Sometimes it helps to take on training that builds mental toughness even if the parameters are a little wacky.

10x10 is a very demanding way to train and is a nice way to force the muscles into growth, if you are eating for it. You’ll probably stagnate after a short while on it though so look to change to a more intensive program after a few weeks if you decide to stick with it.

[quote]PHGN wrote:
10x10 is a waste of time and energy.[/quote]

I disagree with this and with the CNS taxing. 10x10 requires a very light weight so I really don’t think it will tax the CNS as much as…say… rest-pause squats where you take your ten rep max and go twenty times. It is not a waste of time, do this and expect to see the fat just melt off your body. But i do think you should lower volume on the other exercises.

The fancy name for 10x10 is “German Volume Training.” It works. One reason no one these days does it is because it works so well. But to get results, you have to break through the pain barrier several times each workout.

The first time I did GVT, my quads gained 2". The second time (almost two years later), they gained .75". I didn’t have the balls to do it a third time.

Well My training volume isnt that high everyday … and I wont do 10 x 10 on a long term basis but only about 4 - 5 work outs in a month then I will change it up and do a heavy 5 x 5 in April . I was just asking if it would be as good as the 20 rep squats . I eat like a horse I am 39 yrs old and I eat 3500 - 3800 Cal a day and get about 240 grams of protien and take 3 grams of creatine daily on lifting days and only 1 gram on non lifting days.

I take Alpha Male with Carbolin 19 already in it and ZMA at night along with Epson salt hot bath after I work out and on work out days I will get 12 hours of sleep Today I hit Back light and chest light and finished with tricep over the head extensions and some simple concentration curls After 25 dips with a 25 pound plate and 2 sets of 10 body weight pull ups… then I just went and shot some basket ball for about 30 minutes and not strenuous… I didnt dead lift today
I will tomorrow though.

I wake up at night to pee and I have a 40 gram protein shake ready to chug before I get back in bed. 30 grams every few hours seems to work but Any more than 40 and I cant sleep < too full>.I sleep late as I want on non work days. Or I just sleep until I am through lol.But I dont think they would be usless anything different always seems to help and that was very different My legs and ass are very sore now but not as bad as I thought at first. I do appreciate all the input… pos and neg .
Thanks

BTW I am eating about 3 pounds of Sirlion Steak cooked and cut into small pieces with some bbq sauce I will eat it all before bed.
I just had a post work out shake 40 grams of protein as I walked out of the gym.

OK on a different subject does anyone know who Harry Johnson is? Yes he is a body builder.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
The fancy name for 10x10 is “German Volume Training.” It works. One reason no one these days does it is because it works so well. But to get results, you have to break through the pain barrier several times each workout.

The first time I did GVT, my quads gained 2". The second time (almost two years later), they gained .75". I didn’t have the balls to do it a third time. [/quote]

Yes, it does work. After you reach a certain level in your training though it is difficult to get the intensity you need for growth using such a high rep pattern. I believe Poliquin addressed this in an advanced GVT program he developed.

TOO MUCH VOLUME

If you can do 10X10 with 225 you need to use a much higher weight for less sets.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
TOO MUCH VOLUME

If you can do 10X10 with 225 you need to use a much higher weight for less sets.[/quote]

don’t be so ignorant. are you shooting down german volume training completely, a popular training program. Don’t listen to this guy. Just reduce the volume on the rest of your shit. besides like i said before, doing a lot of squats like this will practically melt the fat off your body.