10 Wks Out, First Meet Prep. Sheiko?

Thanks for the advice in advance. A powerlifting meet in my area was just scheduled yesterday, and it is 10 weeks from tomorrow. I’ve been running Cube Kingpin and I have about 4 weeks left. This might be the only meet I do this year, and really it is just for fun.

However, I would like to use this a guideline on how to prep for a meet. Since this is my first ever meet, I was going to try to get some advice on what kind of meet prep I should use. I was thinking of running Sheiko, but I know its a pretty lengthy program and I only have 10 weeks. What would be my best bang for my buck. Right now my numbers look like this.

Bench: 400 touch and go. Squat: 405x2 (easy). Deadlift 435 (Untested and in the midst of changing to sumo). I’m not really worried about anything but getting my numbers up. I have no doubt that with pretty much any routine in 10 weeks I can achieve a 400 pause bench, 450 squat and deadlift.

Anything that could take me over that would be icing on the cake. Like I said I’ve been looking at Sheiko and also Paul Carter’s (Lift Run Bang) raw powerlifting cycles. Any suggestions or experiences would be great.

Where’s the meet at?

Terre Haute, IN. Union Hospital

What are you doing now? Why change if you think it is working?

I wouldn’t try to use Sheiko in the time frame you have – you don’t have enough time. Doesn’t Cube method have a 10-week cycle that ends in a meet or test day? If so and you like Cube, I’d just do that. One of Paul Carter’s prep cycles would also probably be a good choice given how much time you have. I particularly like the overwarmup concept he has, especially if you aren’t used to heavish singles.

[quote]burt128 wrote:
I wouldn’t try to use Sheiko in the time frame you have – you don’t have enough time. Doesn’t Cube method have a 10-week cycle that ends in a meet or test day? If so and you like Cube, I’d just do that. One of Paul Carter’s prep cycles would also probably be a good choice given how much time you have. I particularly like the overwarmup concept he has, especially if you aren’t used to heavish singles.[/quote]

Not sure I agree with that, I ran sheiko #29 in 4 weeks and made some really good PRs

At 10 weeks out only change if you have a really good reason. Changing to some kind of higher volume/frequency training focused on the core lifts is something I would prioritize after the meet but if something is working, don’t switch over close to a contest. If the current training is causing issues then this could work out great (could work out great regardless but why gamble before a meet).

If you do switch, moving to something similar to the example program 29 could work. I personally suggest all the young lifters I deal with to focus on competition lifts initially and thus ditch most variations for the first 12 weeks before adjusting for specific needs. Would be happy to discuss further if this is a priority for you.

the last three weeks of Sheiko is low volume and low intensity peaking so not much time left for a strength / power phase

if you have already had a high volume low or medium intensity strength phase go into a power program 7 weeks then run a 3 week peak, but without high volume low intensity already under your belt, you will not get much to judge Sheiko by

[quote]Terry Gibbs wrote:
the last three weeks of Sheiko is low volume and low intensity peaking so not much time left for a strength / power phase

if you have already had a high volume low or medium intensity strength phase go into a power program 7 weeks then run a 3 week peak, but without high volume low intensity already under your belt, you will not get much to judge Sheiko by[/quote]

Said it a lot better than I did. :slight_smile: