T Nation

10 Weeks of Hell

I got 10 weeks (starting next week) of weightlifting hell ahead of me to get as strong as I can for football season.

My question is, when, if ever this summer, should I test 1RM? Should I even do it this summer with so little time to prepare?

Test it at the end of summer if you want to.

Simple answer would be work up to a 1RM or darn close to it AFTER your work sets on days you feel good, or at least once a month.

But that’s my short answer, and believe me there are many schools of thought. if you’re interested, and you dont think too many options would paralyze you, i’ll write more.

As long as you have reasonable numbers to base your lifts off of then there should be no need to test maxes.

This is something that should of been completely a few weeks prior to the start of your program.

Agreed. 10 weeks out your max lifts should be very low on the priority scale, as long as you have a reasonable number from which to base percentages. Your focus should be on improving your technique, knowledge of the playbook, and special strengths and energy system needs specific to your position.

If your doing a lot of weight training you should have weeks where your working near your maxes(90-95%), if you feel good on these weeks attempt a new max and if it feels heavy stick to around 90%.

[quote]JoeC5267 wrote:
If your doing a lot of weight training you should have weeks where your working near your maxes(90-95%), if you feel good on these weeks attempt a new max and if it feels heavy stick to around 90%.[/quote]

Keep in mind he’s doing sport specific training in preparation for his upcoming football season, maxing out at this point makes very little sense.

It looks to me like you’re just throwing some general percentages out there…giving advice for the sake of getting an additional post isn’t going to benefit him in the least.

[quote]JoeC5267 wrote:
you should have weeks where your working near your maxes(90-95%[/quote]

Fine, but what weeks…why 90-95%?

[quote]JoeC5267 wrote:
if you feel good on these weeks attempt a new max and if it feels heavy stick to around 90%.[/quote]

If it feels good? If it feels heavy?..when was the last time a “max” didn’t feel heavy?

Please, if you’re going to give someone advice at least offer them some substance rather then general unfounded remarks. Rather then helping someone you’ll be leading them even further off track.

I played football for 8 years, the best way to get stronger is to use heavy weights. Theres a function to lifting weights near and over your max. Go read some of Eric Cresseys stuff and see what he has to say about lifting over 90% Get off your high horse and get under a heavy barbell once in a while and you’ll see I gave him sound advice.

[quote]duck_dodger23 wrote:
Agreed. 10 weeks out your max lifts should be very low on the priority scale, as long as you have a reasonable number from which to base percentages. Your focus should be on improving your technique, knowledge of the playbook, and special strengths and energy system needs specific to your position.[/quote]

I disagree. That strength has to carry you the ten weeks of the season- why not raise it as much as possible? (I’m assuming this is for HS football).

We used to lift, then have captains practices where you practiced specific skills… but they weren’t crazy. You’ll get plenty of skill work when practice starts.

Not to mention, we never had a “playbook”, per se… alot of that stuff sounds nice, but is asking alot of a HS kid. Getting them lifting 3x a week and not bein’ drunk every day during the months of July and August would have been a victory for the coaching staff.

We used to test maxes before the end of the summer, right before the season started.

[quote]JoeC5267 wrote:
I played football for 8 years, the best way to get stronger is to use heavy weights. Theres a function to lifting weights near and over your max. Go read some of Eric Cresseys stuff and see what he has to say about lifting over 90% Get off your high horse and get under a heavy barbell once in a while and you’ll see I gave him sound advice. [/quote]

If you want to call that sound advice, be my guest. My point is…when a new lifter reads your first post there is very little he can take away from that, give him some solid guideance and reasoning.

Learn to accept constuctive criticism and not resort to making yourself look foolish by attempting personal jabs.

I’ve read Eric’s stuff many times, thanks. Lift a heavy barbell? Haha, don’t lecture me on lifting heavy.

10 weeks of hell would mean to me i’m side lined 10 weeks with an injury…

I’m sorry I came across like a jerk, I still don’t think I gave bad advice, if what I said is wrong, why is it wrong and what would you do instead?, and I really am sorry about the attitude in my post, I really don’t try to be an internet tough guy.

Haha BigMike I agree

Anyways, thanks for all the advice guys

I’m obviously going to be doing a lot of heavy lifting, and yes, in atleast the last three weeks of this hell I’m going to be lifting weights 90% and above. (I’m basing percentages off of a combination of my March 1RMs [haven’t been able to lift since then] and the lifts I’ve done this week.)

I was thinking in the last week I was going to just do heavy singles of a compound lift (powerclean, deadlift, bench, squat) everydayish with a little supplemental work after completing the heavy singles, and use the last set of each compound lift as my 1RM. Does that sound good?

Yo, figured I’d chime in here. 10 weeks isn’t that much time, 2 mesocycles tops. If you’ve been doing some prior training, general prep training, you may be able to squeeze a couple conjugate mesos in with maybe some cluster training at the end for speed.

What I would watch out for is just doing strength training sessions consecutively. In high school, prep phase is everything, helps to avoid injury and maintains flexibility. No matter what you say, a healthy injury free athlete is better than a huge sidelined one.

My suggestion would be to stay away from the 1RM…maybe find another way of testing, for example maybe using Tabata squats or EDT training as checkpoints (using reps to figure out if you’re getting better rather than using sheer weight).

This should get you using the right amount of weight for right now, keep your flexibility and get some solid training in. Even your testing would be a great workout.

You’ll have all pre-season to work on strength, get your base now, strength in pre-season, speed in season. Peak for the end of the year. That’d my suggestion.

That’s just great advice man, I’ll definatly take your points into account, thanks.

Glad my thread’s your first post too. :slight_smile: haha