T Nation

10 Things Your Gym Won't Tell You

I learned #4 from personal experience…

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/ConsumerActionGuide/10ThingsYourGymWontTellYou.aspx

:slight_smile:

Oh yea! Number two!

wow.

number 4 and 5 I knew. Learned 4 here.

Good article. Sorry to hear you got burned by a trainer.

Any good gyms? I always had in mind somewhere more focussed on proper weight/power lifting may be good, but then may not suit if not going for those goals. Or ‘dungeon’ gyms without the fancy machines. Something like Vince’s Gym famed in the past, or the original Gold’s, or perhaps Dorian Yates first Temple gym.

I learned #4 from personal experience too…

Nothing particularly shocking.

I caught MRSA last year from a gym I was going to, sucked dick with a capital D.

"Take equipment maintenance, for example. Although manufacturers must include instructions with exercise machines, nothing forces gyms to follow them, Rabinoff says. Injuries can result from poorly or improperly maintained equipment, says Cedric Bryant, the chief science officer for the American Council on Exercise.

Harold Leon Bostick knows that all too well. Because of a design defect in a machine he was using, a stack of weights came crashing down while the law student was doing squats at a California gym in 2001, severing his spinal cord."

That’s why you don’t machine squat.

Definitely learned #6 the hard way. I was young and stupid, no doubt, but when joining a Bally’s (the only gym in the area) there was no mention WHATSOEVER of an extended contract. I paid the first month upfront, and that was all. Lo and behold, I was locked into a 3 year deal and only used the gym for 2 months.

What a waste. Thankfully the 7 years have passed so the lack of payment is no longer on my credit report.

Ouch on Number 5. I had a membership with a major commercial gym as a sort of failsafe for if I was traveling, but over time it became too expensive to keep(even though my rates were very low compared to the average rates). So I went to cancel it. I finally managed to do it, but there were so many steps, frustrations and snags along the way.

That alone is reason enough for me to never be a member of a mainstream gym again. I would just as soon spend a grand building a home gym.

[quote]gswork wrote:
Any good gyms? I always had in mind somewhere more focussed on proper weight/power lifting may be good, but then may not suit if not going for those goals. Or ‘dungeon’ gyms without the fancy machines. Something like Vince’s Gym famed in the past, or the original Gold’s, or perhaps Dorian Yates first Temple gym.[/quote]

Any independent gym will be superior to a commercial gym when it comes to customer relations. Even if the independent gym doesn’t have all the equipment you want or need, they are far more likely to be flexible with how you can use their equipment, they will get to know you on a personal level, and you can train more comfortably there than you would at some monster 24 fitness joint.

And yeah, any gym that mentions weight lifting or powerlifting in their name or advertisements is probably a better gym than commercial gyms that mostly exist to give people a place to sit on an excercycle for a few minutes.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Nothing particularly shocking.

I caught MRSA last year from a gym I was going to, sucked dick with a capital D.[/quote]

You still on antibiotics? My wife is a nurse and sees that shit daily, said it was horeable and that it will compromise your immune system for life…

I was number four.

24 Hour Fitness trainers, for all intents and purposes, are about as worthwhile as Paris Hilton’s character in House of Wax.

I came out of that five day shotgun-blast of random, vague and completely un-usable information, smart enough to do serious damage to potential clientele.

Fortunately for these people, I had no confidence in both myself as well as what I would’ve been spewing forth and only sold one training package (in more months than I wish to say) to a lady that saw a weight gain after four weeks of training with me. This client still haunts me…

nice article, I ve never experienced anything similar in the gym and I hope to enjoy working out every time im there

Things like this make me glad I train at home.