T Nation

10 Things You Think Will Make You Happy But Won't

Not a bad list.

1. Becoming rich, powerful and famous.

2. Treating the universe as if it were a mail-order catalog by expecting it to gratify our every desire.

3. Yearning for the “freedom” to achieve every last wish. This is not freedom, but being the slave of your own thoughts.

4. Seeking too much pleasure. Pleasurable sensations soon become dull, and often become unpleasant.

5. Maliciously taking revenge on someone who has hurt you. By doing so, you become like them and poison your own mind.

6. Assuming that any one thing will make you happy. Such predictions usually don’t turn out to be true.

7. Expecting all praise and no criticism. Without criticism, you won’t progress.

8. To vanquish all your enemies. Animosity never brings happiness.

9. To never face adversity. Refraining from doing so will make you weak and vulnerable.

10. Expending all your effort on taking care of yourself alone. Altruism and compassion are the roots of genuine happiness.

http://living.msn.com/life-inspired/mind-body-connection/article?cp-documentid=32142284

The genocide of the entire human race (sans me) so I can be free to roam the Earth indulging in whatever I please without the bothers of mankind…

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:
The genocide of the entire human race (sans me) so I can be free to roam the Earth indulging in whatever I please without the bothers of mankind…[/quote]

Maybe you should switch to classical music instead of whatever is going on in your avi.

You should probably add “dating a superhot chick” in there, since most guys dream about it and once they do it, they realize … “holy hell, girls this hot are crazy” and then come back down to the 7’s and 8’s because they’re more stable.

[quote]Samir wrote:
You should probably add “dating a superhot chick” in there, since most guys dream about it and once they do it, they realize … “holy hell, girls this hot are crazy” and then come back down to the 7’s and 8’s because they’re more stable. [/quote]

“Next to every beautiful woman, is a man bored with what he once would have killed for.”
I forget who I got that from but it stands true. Usually better to want than to have and you’ll Always want something other than what you’ve got.

[quote]Samir wrote:
You should probably add “dating a superhot chick” in there, since most guys dream about it and once they do it, they realize … “holy hell, girls this hot are crazy” and then come back down to the 7’s and 8’s because they’re more stable. [/quote]

I think it’s more that some men are attracted to crazy and think crazy is hot.

[quote]Charlie Horse wrote:

[quote]Samir wrote:

[/quote]

No. we like hot, not crazy.

[quote]Samir wrote:

10’s are like the bottom row of the Periodic Table.

[quote]tonypluto wrote:

[quote]Samir wrote:

“Next to every beautiful woman, is a man bored with what he once would have killed for.”
I forget who I got that from but it stands true. Usually better to want than to have and you’ll Always want something other than what you’ve got.[/quote]

“Next to every beautiful woman is a man who is sick of her shit.”

Sign at an Irish pub in downtown ATL.

Invading Canada.

May not make me happy, but fuckit, lets do it anyway!

[quote]Samir wrote:

[/quote]

Nope, we’re not that dumb. We can differentiate on traits one at a time, and beauty and sanity are two completely different traits.

Generally, we choose to accept more insanity from hotter chicks but that’s a choice. The attraction based on looks isn’t.

No sane guy is actually attracted to crazy. He just kind of lives with it (for awhile).

Go read that “When is it enough” thread or whatever in SAMA. That’s every guy I know who ever dated the hot psycho.

[quote]Samir wrote:

[/quote]

It’s all about where she’s on the Vicky Mendoza Diagonal.

[quote]limburg wrote:
Not a bad list.

2. Treating the universe as if it were a mail-order catalog by expecting it to gratify our every desire.

3. Yearning for the “freedom” to achieve every last wish. This is not freedom, but being the slave of your own thoughts.

4. Seeking too much pleasure. Pleasurable sensations soon become dull, and often become unpleasant.

5. Maliciously taking revenge on someone who has hurt you. By doing so, you become like them and poison your own mind.

6. Assuming that any one thing will make you happy. Such predictions usually don’t turn out to be true.

7. Expecting all praise and no criticism. Without criticism, you won’t progress.

9. To never face adversity. Refraining from doing so will make you weak and vulnerable.

10. Expending all your effort on taking care of yourself alone. Altruism and compassion are the roots of genuine happiness.

http://living.msn.com/life-inspired/mind-body-connection/article?cp-documentid=32142284[/quote]

Personally I like number #5. I have every reason in the world to be particularly ill at a certain person and how they continue to behave HOWEVER…I know that hate is like a cancer and who wants to harbor that? It truly is water under the bridge for me. Shit happens. Onward upward. Focus on things that matter. Just wish they’d do the same…

#3 doesn’t make sense to me…a “slave” to your own thoughts? That sounds like nonsense to me

Thinking you can achieve happiness. That is to say, thinking that happiness is something to be achieved.

[quote]limburg wrote:
Not a bad list.

http://living.msn.com/life-inspired/mind-body-connection/article?cp-documentid=32142284[/quote]

Typical bullshit flowery article to help Joe Schmoe rationalize his underachievements and go through another day without killing himself.

Cute.

[quote]want2getlean wrote:

[quote]limburg wrote:
Not a bad list.

Typical bullshit flowery article to help Joe Schmoe rationalize his underachievements and go through another day without killing himself.

Cute.

[/quote]

LOL, Agreed. Most of the things on that list are awesome and I want to experience them.

[quote]Edgy wrote:
Invading Canada.

May not make me happy, but fuckit, lets do it anyway![/quote]

Hell Im in. Ill try to get the week off. Maybe two weeks. Shouldnt take too long right? After all, their navy is made up of eskimos in hunting boats and polar bears as their calvary.

[quote]Catnip wrote:
Personally I like number #5. I have every reason in the world to be particularly ill at a certain person and how they continue to behave HOWEVER…I know that hate is like a cancer and who wants to harbor that? It truly is water under the bridge for me. Shit happens. Onward upward. Focus on things that matter. Just wish they’d do the same… [/quote]

Meh.

Hate IS like a cancer… and the best way to get rid of cancer is to cut that hateful thing out of your life and throw it away with the rest of the hazardous waste.

If your situation proves too tricky for social-surgery, remember that chemotherapy is generally the next option. Poison the emotional tumor and spit on the shit you took on its grave.

Or, you can check out the latest SAMA fiasco thread. Unless the person you are mad at is as much of a soulless, degenerate, bottom-dwelling piece of shit as that thigh scar guy, you should be fine.

[quote]farmerson12 wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:
Invading Canada.

May not make me happy, but fuckit, lets do it anyway![/quote]

Hell Im in. Ill try to get the week off. Maybe two weeks. Shouldnt take too long right? After all, their navy is made up of eskimos in hunting boats and polar bears as their calvary.[/quote]

Few years ago I heard from a guy who knows a guy in the navy who said that if there was a declaration of war between the US and Canada, there wouldn’t be enough time for our boys to abandon ship before our entire navy was destroyed (the point was maybe dramatized a bit, but you get the idea). I figure our only hope would be to pull what Russia has done in every defensive war they’ve been in ever.