T Nation

10 Things I Wish I Learned Sooner

hey i’m new to the T-Nation. pretty stoked to be here and just wanted to share some of the things that i wish i knew when i first started bodybuilding. hope some of you guys can weigh in and add to the list.

1. as much as you think you are eating, it aint enough.

2. relating to #1, upping carbs will never get your calories where they need to be. high healthy fat diet is the way to go. nuts, nuff’ said.

3. you can squat three times a week but you cant bench three times a week

4. muscle failure is way past where you think it is.

5. taking a week off for recovery every couple months IS necessary

6. bad posture outside the gym will mess up all your lifts

7. eat your fuckin vegetables or get Biotest Superfood

8. your chest looks like shit cuz your back looks like shit

9. heavy deadlifting wont break your back, trust me. rack pull with weight past your deadlift 1rm, you’ll see.

10. T-Nation has articles that are reliable and written by people that know whats up.

1. don’t ever listen to what people have to tell you in the gym, unless they happen to be a renowned lifting coach (which they never are)

Welcome to the forums!

Now to business;

I hope you mean at least a deload for #5, rather than an actual week off; otherwise you may need to re-relearn that.

Hey. Some good points but hmm…

[quote]actionboy wrote:
2. relating to #1, upping carbs will never get your calories where they need to be.[/quote]

Huh?

[quote]actionboy wrote:
[/quote]

I think if you can squat 3 times a week then you’re either not using very much weight or you’re training like a pansy (or you have knees made out of titanium and screws for tendons).

[quote]actionboy wrote:
[/quote]

Muscle failure seems to have about 500 different definitions.

[quote]actionboy wrote:
[/quote]

If you’re finding this to be the case then maybe you’re overdoing it? I’ve never needed a whole fucking week off! Then again if I was squatting 3 times a week I might.

[quote]actionboy wrote:
[/quote]

This makes absolutely no sense.

Sorry, not trying to do a dick, I will do a list but right now I’ve got to cook steak then sleep.

1. Eat more red meat.

2. Sleep more.

Worst list ever…

uh i really dont feel like defending my list, this wasnt the point but there are 4 calories in 1g of carb and 9cal in 1g of fat. which is more calorie dense?

im not even gunna get into the squatting thing

deloading weeks are a common strategy. it allows your body to full recover from intense training.

and if you dont think back and chest are related, you might need a new hobby.

[quote]actionboy wrote:
uh i really dont feel like defending my list, this wasnt the point but there are 4 calories in 1g of carb and 9cal in 1g of fat. which is more calorie dense?

deloading weeks are a common strategy. it allows your body to full recover from intense training.

and if you dont think back and chest are related, you might need a new hobby.[/quote]

Again, welcome to T-Nation, the boards are full of flames because the posters are full of Testosterone. Don’t take stuff personally too much.

However, your statement on carbohydrates and calories was touted as fact (there was no ambiguity in what you said), although fats are more calorically dense, your can still get calories from carbs if you want; never say never.

And if you don’t feel like defending your opinions, do not post them for people to attack.

[quote]optheta wrote:
Worst list ever…[/quote]

oh no, i really wanted the people on the internet to like me. why is everyone so negative?

[quote]actionboy wrote:

and if you dont think back and chest are related, you might need a new hobby.[/quote]

While fat is calorie dense you can easily poor in 3 times more carbs then fats or protein as they’re not nearly as filling. True you will not really be gaining in the areas your looking for unless your really spanking the gym workouts, but carbs are HUGE in puttin on size.

I totally agree with the point made about squating if you can heavy squat 3 times a week congrads you are a freak!

I’m not touching the week off as I think a week off can be good at times and really depends on the individual.

Of course chest and back are related but (unfortunatitly) you can gat a huge chest with minimal back work. If this weren’t the case half the trainers I know would be looking for new jobs or areas to perfect.

[quote]actionboy wrote:
[/quote]

I thought by a week off you meant no training at all, not deloading.

[quote]actionboy wrote:

I didn’t say that, but if you’re chest “looks like shit” I doubt it’s entirely down to your back.

when you post a list/your theories online you should expect people to comment and sometimes (read:often) critically; that is, after all, what the forums are for. you also said some things that are directly contradicted by the opinions of t-muscle article contributors and the top lifters on the forums. although, aside from the dubious #3, most of your points are legitimate.

[quote]Zillah wrote:
actionboy wrote:

I thought by a week off you meant no training at all, not deloading.

actionboy wrote:

and if you dont think back and chest are related, you might need a new hobby.

I didn’t say that, but if you’re chest “looks like shit” I doubt it’s entirely down to your back.[/quote]

My back is a better body part of mine. My chest sucks because it lets my delts do all the work.

Zillah can you at least give us the 8 legged version lol

[quote]Sanitarium wrote:
11. don’t ever listen to what people have to tell you in the gym, unless they happen to be a renowned lifting coach (which they never are)[/quote]

Totally disagree with this one, unless they’re your average gymrat Mens Health reader with an iPod attached to their arm. More guys wanting to get somewhere should listen to (and train with) really big guys moving really big weights even if they’re not the most knowledgeable and familiar with the latest scientific study or program that some Internet “guru” made up.

1. If possible, train with people far bigger and stronger than you are.

[quote]actionboy wrote:

1. you can squat three times a week but you cant bench three times a week

[/quote]

You can squat 3 times a week? Like really squatting?

I hate to say it but if you can squat three times a week then you’re probably doing it wrong.

[quote]Illium wrote:
Zillah can you at least give us the 8 legged version lol[/quote]

Squats and milk.

Rule #1: Newbs shouldn’t be making lists like this and giving opinions on things in which they don’t have much experience.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Rule #1: Newbs shouldn’t be making lists like this and giving opinions on things in which they don’t have much experience.[/quote]

didnt say i was new to lifting, said i was new to this website.

list fail

[quote]actionboy wrote:
hey i’m new to the T-Nation. pretty stoked to be here and just wanted to share some of the things that i wish i knew when i first started bodybuilding. hope some of you guys can weigh in and add to the list.

1. as much as you think you are eating, it aint enough.

2. relating to #1, upping carbs will never get your calories where they need to be. high healthy fat diet is the way to go. nuts, nuff’ said.

6. bad posture outside the gym will mess up all your lifts

7. eat your fuckin vegetables or get Biotest Superfood

9. heavy deadlifting wont break your back, trust me. rack pull with weight past your deadlift 1rm, you’ll see.

10. T-Nation has articles that are reliable and written by people that know whats up. [/quote]

This list is terrible.