10 Sets of 5 for Calves

hey guys, my weakest body part is my calves.

I found a thread a while back and someone was talking about doing 10 sets of 5 reps of 1 calf exercise every time your in the gym (think it a Waterbury program).

I have looked hard for the post but just cant find it and want to make sure im not remembering it wrong (was quite a while ago)

anyone tried this? seems like a great way to build solid muscle that wont just disappear if you take a week or 2 off like most really high rep calf training plans out there.

p.s. Im in the gym monday, tuesday, thursday, friday right now.

I was under the impression that calf work always required high reps (minimum of 20) if you’re going to stimulate hypertrophy. But I’m ignorant on the subject; that’s just what I’d read.

Give this a shot. It has definitely helped me out.

[quote]Alderslodge wrote:
Give this a shot. It has definitely helped me out.

interesting you should bring that up, i have been doing that for almost a month and in my opinion, MY calves actually look worse.

glad its working for u though.

Dang. Sorry that it hasn’t worked for you.
I’m almost done with the month, but I plan to train calves 3X per week after this for a while.

Day 1: Higher reps (15-25)
Day 2: 100 Reps BW
Day 3: Lower reps (5-10)

You may want to give this thread a look:

It has some good bits in it, especially one by Iron Dwarf.

Speaking as someone whose calves went from 14.5 to 17" since last fall, I feel like I can chime in here. Forget about sets, forget about rep ranges…calves respond to TUT and high intensity. After your final set or 2, you should feel like you want to cry. Here’s a few examples of what I’m talking about:

1. Standing calf raise machine: 3-5 sec eccentric…stretch ALL THE WAY down…explode up.
  2. Seated calf raise: use a weight you can do for 15 or so strict, full ROM reps and do 25-35…you’ll have to finish out with partials and even feel like you’re “bouncing” the weight a bit…all while wanting to cry.
  3. Leg Press Calf Raises: just do them, mix it up. experiment with different toe angles (feet slightly turned in, feet slightly turned out). You can do slow eccentrics on these, ultra high reps, or just work on hitting solid sets of 10-15 and getting stronger in that range
  4. This one is often drastically overlooked…anterior toe raises to build up the tibialis anterior. Not only will working these support overall knee health, it’ll add thickness to your lower leg from the front. Personally, I stick to pretty light weight on these and do pretty high reps.

Something like: 60 reps, rest 30s, 30 reps, rest 30s, 10 reps holding the contraction for 1-2 sec. These are also wonderful to superset with any calf work.

So I’d take 2 calf exercises, and 1 for your tib. ant., hit them 2x/week. Example:
Standing calf raise: 4x10-15 (3 sec eccentric)
Seated calf raise: 2x25-35
Toe raises: 3x25-35

There are a few guys at my gym who will tease me every time I do calf work, as I’ll load up a whopping 160-200lbs on the standing calf raise machine and hit those slow eccentrics. Meanwhile they work up to the full stack at 600lbs, but only have 14" calves.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
A ton of great stuff [/quote]

Excellent info - thanks for sharing. I will give this a try

[quote]winkel wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
A ton of great stuff [/quote]

Excellent info - thanks for sharing. I will give this a try[/quote]

I concur.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
…you should feel like you want to cry.

…all while wanting to cry.
[/quote]

Being able to make yourself do this is the deal…most just are not willing!

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
…you should feel like you want to cry.

…all while wanting to cry.
[/quote]

Being able to make yourself do this is the deal…most just are not willing!
[/quote]

The weird thing is, you start to enjoy it. I think alot of people don’t realize the calves can handle a beating. Look at their function, stopping and accelerating us all day everywhere we move.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Speaking as someone whose calves went from 14.5 to 17" since last fall… [/quote]

How much weight did you gain during this time?

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Speaking as someone whose calves went from 14.5 to 17" since last fall… [/quote]

How much weight did you gain during this time?
[/quote]

30lbs ish, though I’ve recently began cutting, down about 7 lbs so far and they’re the same size. But yea, when I’m shredded, I will be very happy if they are at or above 16.

Nicely done. I’m putting together a leg specialization program now and considering placing calves at the beginning of each leg day. You and Iron Dwarf are the only two posters I’ve seen who’ve outlined a specific calf routine AND provided results (size gains). So thanks for sharing this.

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:
Nicely done. I’m putting together a leg specialization program now and considering placing calves at the beginning of each leg day. You and Iron Dwarf are the only two posters I’ve seen who’ve outlined a specific calf routine AND provided results (size gains). So thanks for sharing this. [/quote]

Some can get away with that, I can’t. Having my calves demolished will definitely throwing off my squatting. I actually do them first before back/bis workouts.

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:
Nicely done. I’m putting together a leg specialization program now and considering placing calves at the beginning of each leg day. You and Iron Dwarf are the only two posters I’ve seen who’ve outlined a specific calf routine AND provided results (size gains). So thanks for sharing this. [/quote]

Good to hear, Ty.

Placing calves first in your training is a wise decision.

You’ll need to literally fall in love with your calves, and this is done by constantly flexing them, looking at them, and making the mind/muscle connection in the gym. I can’t explain it better than that, I always hated my calves until I made a real connection with them. It’s easy to lose focus on calves (as I’ve done for the past month… but back as of today), but try to keep that enthusiasm until they’re at the level you desire.

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:

You’d think on a website dedicated to bodybuilding there be a decent article or two on calf growth and not this “oh just do bodyweight calf raises everyday” bullshit. I’m sure you can find some in the archive from 10 years ago or so.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:

Good to hear, Ty.

Placing calves first in your training is a wise decision.

You’ll need to literally fall in love with your calves, and this is done by constantly flexing them, looking at them, and making the mind/muscle connection in the gym. I can’t explain it better than that, I always hated my calves until I made a real connection with them. It’s easy to lose focus on calves (as I’ve done for the past month… but back as of today), but try to keep that enthusiasm until they’re at the level you desire. [/quote]

Understood completely. Sitting here flexing my right calf (smaller, weaker and with shittier ROM) as we speak.